THis is puzzelling me

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

richardmatalon
Junior

THis is puzzelling me

Post by richardmatalon »

ok guys, I have a question for you. I turboed my car. Ever since then the tempreture has been higher on my gauge inside the cabin. It doesn't overheat but it gets hot, like 210-210 deg farr. It really only gets hot with the a/c on , even when i am driving easy on teh higyway, which is reallystrange. I had a manifold leak right by the thermostat housing, I fixed that today and the same thing. I did notice that i was running like 0 de or even retarded ignition timing on idel without the ac. I am really stumped. I hav eno clue what to do with this one. Please, lets see what everyone else thinks
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

i would say check your fans, when the ac turns on both fans should be on.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

did you upgrade the stock radiator?

do you have an exhaust temp sensor?

have you done a dyno with a wideband air/fuel monitor?

have you used any additives to increase heat transfer?

I would suggest all four.... but I'd suggest the last two at the very least.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

I have the afr running fine, I have a wide band afr in teh car, and That is fine, I havne't upgraded teh stock rad, going to get a fludying aluminum half rad for it, if everything else fails, I am not sre why it is running a little hot?? I am going to start foolingwith it again this week and see how that goes
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

buy hood spacers...

cheap and brutally effective :D
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

If everything else is ok... get a fludyne...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
tango

Post by tango »

A buddy of mine has an Aussie spec Leganza CDX (2.2L) and he recently had similar complaints. Car overheating when he used the a/c. Turned out to be a problem with the high-speed circuit of the fans. Under the battery (of ALL un-Godly places!) sits a relay that controls the high-speed circuit. Battery acid dripped on it and destroyed it. It's generally out of sight and easy to miss. See if your Nubie has a similar relay and check that. Otherwise go through and check your other relays for functionality. Also, you could be suffering from simply having a radiator-related fault. Either it's ineffective for the current state of tune or it is just getting bad and needs to be replaced.
Cogito ergo sum...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a good article on the Redline "water wetter"

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm

Reading this article also reminds me about the concentration of water vs glycol..... perhaps your coolant mix is a little off.

Here is a forum link with guys talking about it.... there is the usual "it's crap" and "it's the greatest" but it's interesting to see all the point of views.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ult ... 5;t=000558

Here is another guy who documented his findings with his mustang on another forum...

http://www34.brinkster.com/xtrememustan ... OPIC_ID=57

It's not the perfect solution.... but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if it makes any difference.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

verify if you have any coolan leak. I get that problem when the coolant pump broke
ImageImage
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Richard..when I did the C20GET swap in the Lemans 2.0, all the sudden the car was running much hotter. Average temp increased from about 50-60%, to about 75%. The motor also run much hotter in the summer, obviously. I installed bigger Sunbird GT radiator, and used water-wetter. Afterthat, the car was back to its normal around 50% operating temp. But when it became colder, it was taking forever to warm up.

Running warmer when AC is on would be explained by the AC evaporator radiating hot air in front of the radiator.

Tom

Post by DomWoo »

lol... i thought that water wetter was a joke. we have two bottles sitting on a shelf at work and i was offered it but didnt take it because i thought it was crap.. maybe i should see if its still there..
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

My experience with Water Wetter was very positive. I would recommend it, as it works.

Post by kinkyllama »

WooHoo wrote:lol... i thought that water wetter was a joke. we have two bottles sitting on a shelf at work and i was offered it but didnt take it because i thought it was crap.. maybe i should see if its still there..
Best stuff in the World.. they recommend it to everyone in the begining class' for track events. I probably have more of that stuff than coolant! course where i live thats okay
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

the stock radiator was to only handle the stock engine if u put turbo then the temps would rocket up... u would need some better radiator that would cool more coolant faster
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

Yup, when you turbocharge or supercharge an engine one of the penalties is increased thermal loading on the cooling system (more power = more heat), the result is increased running temps.
Most OEM turbocharged cars use a larger radiator or thicker core than their N/A counterparts to counteract this.
To lower your running temps either install a bigger radiator or allow some of the under hood air to escape.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...