BOV WASTEGATE AND READINGS

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

python235
Junior

BOV WASTEGATE AND READINGS

Post by python235 »

Ok fast CONFUSING question,
we have a wastegate the adjusts 7psi, and a bov that adjusts 7 psi WHGY DO WE NEED BOTH ?!
i keep answering my self at a part and mmamdouh makes a circle all over again :D and we get lost finding one is useless "but still knowing both are needed" so guys EXPLAIN please!
and one more thing since we have both wastegate and bov , WHERE IS THE PSI MEASURED AT??
the turbo its self the bov or in the intkae!?
this is so complicated and killing me, THANK GOD FOR MECHANICS :P
VX
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

I FINALLY GOT IT :idea:
http://www.streetracersonline.com/artic ... bo/bov.php

the BOV doesn't work on boost at all, instead it senses if their is vacuum behind the TB and if vacuum is present it opens... that got nothing to do whith how much PSI is their... you could be running1 psi or 20 psi it is indifferent to the BOV.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

BOV (blow off valve) has nothing to do with the boost. It is a safety measure for the turbo. Bov releases the built up pressure in order to increase the turbo's life.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

AcingTeam wrote:BOV (blow off valve) has nothing to do with the boost. It is a safety measure for the turbo. Bov releases the built up pressure in order to increase the turbo's life.
it has to do with the boost, it relelases the boost when you are off the throttle... it doesn't have to do with "how much boost" you are running though.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

mmamdouh wrote:
AcingTeam wrote:BOV (blow off valve) has nothing to do with the boost. It is a safety measure for the turbo. Bov releases the built up pressure in order to increase the turbo's life.
it has to do with the boost, it relelases the boost when you are off the throttle... it doesn't have to do with "how much boost" you are running though.

MMamdouh
Exactly what I ment
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

The reason for using a BOV is to relieve the pressure in the intake tube. When you let off the throttle the butterfly inside the throttle body closes thus closing off the pressurized air from going into the engine. The air has to go somewhere so it will try to force its way back thru the turbo (this is often heard as a "flutter" when ya leave off the throttle.) Instead the BOV lowers the pressure and the air doesn't force its way back thru the turbo.

The reason for the wastegate is so that you don't boost over 7psi while you're building boost.

Hope this helps.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

daewooluvr wrote: The reason for the wastegate is so that you don't boost over 7psi while you're building boost.
Doesnt a waste gate make a sound too? ... Isnt it a fluttering sound?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

Yeah the wastegate makes teh flutter ( and internal gate) becuase it is uses a flap , the flap is what makes teh noise. They do have bov that can regulate boost, they are called pop off valves, and u can use a ov to regulate boos , although it isn't recomended as it isn't very reliable.
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
greentrep94

Post by greentrep94 »

richardmatalon wrote:Yeah the wastegate makes teh flutter ( and internal gate) becuase it is uses a flap , the flap is what makes teh noise. They do have bov that can regulate boost, they are called pop off valves, and u can use a ov to regulate boos , although it isn't recomended as it isn't very reliable.
yep, other than that, that i know, the only thing BOV have to do with boost is that if you got a crappy one, you'll be leaking at high boost
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

greentrep94 wrote:
richardmatalon wrote:Yeah the wastegate makes teh flutter ( and internal gate) becuase it is uses a flap , the flap is what makes teh noise. They do have bov that can regulate boost, they are called pop off valves, and u can use a ov to regulate boos , although it isn't recomended as it isn't very reliable.
yep, other than that, that i know, the only thing BOV have to do with boost is that if you got a crappy one, you'll be leaking at high boost
thats correct. and upgraded bov helps with higher boost. as for instance. my car, stock it runs 13 psi, but the stock bov leaked boost at around 11-12 psi, so by getting a upgraded bov made my car run a lil faster. turbo stuff is a lil confusing untill you acually have a turbo, then you force yourself to learn it.
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
mods: Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Injen Intake, Act 2100 Clutch, Act Xact flywheel, Apexi N1 Downpipe and Catback Exhaust, MCB Set to 16 PSI, BuddyClub2 Bodykit (Not Installed) and Greddy FMIC(not installed)