Has anyone heard of the Turbonator?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

[quote]

asam wrote:
... But several studies have been done on this ...

Please find and post links to actual technical data on the use of this item.
Do not post links to advertising that describes what it does while trying to sell this item.

Sales information and actual technical data are two different things.

Anyone can write anything they want when trying to sell a product if it sounds technical so that people will buy into it and spend their money.

Just think, the guy who invented the beer helmet is now a millionaire, but all he did was rivit 2 plastic car drink holders to a plastic hard hat, add some clear plastic tubing that cost a total of $5 to complete each one and then resold them for $9.99.
The good thing about the beer helmet is, you can actually use it and it functions as described! LOL

If you re-read my posts about the Tornado thing, I *NEVER* said it didn't work, I only said I can not understand how it is supposed to do what it claims when given WHAT it is, HOW it is made, and WHAT it is supposed to do. Having been working on cars since the late 1970's and seen a LOT of gimicks that end up not working as they claim, such as the magnetic fuel line ion reorganizer (LOL) that clamps around your fuel line and is supposed to give you 30% more efficient fuel by the time it reaches the carbs or injectors, I am skeptical as to the claims this Tornado product claims.

Again, I said that it may very well in fact work as it claims, and that I have not used one, but logically thinking about HOW it claims to work, it just does not make sence.

asam wrote:
... This principal goes way back to rifleing which helps an object(air) move straighter and faster....

Rifeling, as far as I knew, was not to move air, but to put a twist on a bullet as it traveled down the length of a gun barrel. How far back does rifeling go? The oldest known gun with barrel rifeling was made circa 1550AD for Emperor Maximilion of Austria.

asam wrote:
... but last time I checked very few of you know what cfm stands for ...

When did you check?
I do not remember a poll held here on the forum and did not find anything like it when I checked with the search function.

To which CFM acronym were you referring?

CFM Certified In Financial Management
CFM Cold Fusion Mark-Up (file extension)
CFM Cubic Feet per Minute
CFM Candle Flames in Microgravity
CFM Career Field Manager (USAF)
CFM Cathode Follower Mixer
CFM Cell Fault Model
CFM Center For Musikpsykologi (International Center for Music Psychology)
CFM Central Flow Management (Air Traffic Control)
CFM Centralized Freight Management
CFM Ceramic Face Mask
CFM Cerebral Function Monitor
CFM Certified Facilities Manager
CFM Certified Fleet Manager
CFM Certified Floodplain Manager
CFM Chicago Federation of Musicians
CFM Christian Family Movement
CFM Christian Federation of Malaysia
CFM Citizens for Midwifery
CFM Cleanroom Face Mask
CFM Club de Futbol Monterrey (Mexico)
CFM Code Fragment Manager
CFM Coggeshall Farm Museum
CFM Commercial Fan Motor (european aircraft turbine engine)
CFM Communications and Multimedia Consumer Forum of Malaysia
CFM Computational Fluid Mechanics
CFM Computer f?r Menschen Gmbh (German company for scanner drivers and software)
CFM Confirm (logging abbreviation)
CFM Confirm(ed)
CFM Conselho Federal de Medicina (Brazil)
CFM Contamination-Free Manufacturing
CFM Contingency For Movement
CFM Continuous Fetal Monitoring
CFM Continuous Flow Manufacturing
CFM Contract Funds Management (module)
CFM Contractor-Furnished Material
CFM Controls Finalization Meeting
CFM CONUS Freight Management
CFM Copy For Me
CFM Critical Function Monitoring
CFM Cross Flow Micro-Filtered (whey protein isolate)
CFM Crossfire Magazine (paintball)
CFM Cumbria Frequency Modulation (radio station)
CFM Customer Feedback Management
CFM Customer Financial Management
CFM Customer Furnished Material

Yes, that Tornado thing just might work, but I haven't seen any results and have never tried it. If I get a chance to try one (without purchasing it), I will.

Cliff

Spoken from the daewoo masta himself.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

whoa your quick. what exactly did you just prove, im confused.
Snail

Post by Snail »

I'm not having a shot at those who believe this may work, as the claims that were made by these pathetic excuses for companies are somewhat believable. They are however, false!

Heres what physics, plain logic, and common sense tells me:

Ok, as far as we're concerned here an engine works by getting air from it's intake and mixing it with fuel in it's combustion chamber then igniting it. This creates a bang, which makes our engine run, and our wheels turn. The bigger the bang, the faster our engines run.
Now, air comes in through your intake at a certain rate, and certain temperature. If its warm air, the air is less dense than if it were cold air. Cold air contains more air molecules, and hence more oxygen will be included in the combustion process and so slightly more bang. If air is compressed (ie very dense air), then we get lots more bang.
The principle this product is relying on here, is something called air turbulence. For the purpose of this explanation, lets just say turbulence is how much the air moves around in the confined space of our engine's intake.
Turbulence is said to play the role of 'mixing' itself with the fuel once both the air and the fuel are in the combustion chamber. This is true, to a very limited extent. Turbulence does affect the way the air and fuel mixes, but only slightly. Simply increasing the turbulence will NOT increase the bang. Remember, the amount of air entering the combustion chamber is the same, its just moving around more. So how can you get more bang with the same amount of air? Answer is you can't, no matter how much you mix it up.

This product does not work, the testamonials are made by misled customers and the whole logic behind such a ridiculous idea is just that: ridiculous. Everything that a customer may experience from the product is imagined, as they believe that it works - so as far as they're concerned - it works.

What annoys me the most, is how they try to justify their stupidity with comments like:

"How does it work? The Turbonator's airflow dynamics produces a swirling, fast-burn effect in the combustion chamber. This creates finer particles of atomized fuel, allowing better flame propagation and more complete combustion. Read more.."
A swirling, fast burn effect? Correct, it does. And yes it does create finer fuel particles. BUT the same amount of fuel, and the same amount of air enters the combustion chamber. If you mix it up, it does burn better but once again to a very very very very small extent. No where near enough to produce any sort of power gain, let alone anything noticable. See how these little 'facts' tend to leave out the most important element? It makes it easy to fall for this crap.

"Gain the effects of a turbocharger!"
Turbo-chargers compress air, which makes a bigger bang. (as explained earlier) Creating turbulence (what this product does) does not compress air at all. They're referring to something (not confirming that it does, just referring to it) that it does not do. A weasel of a tactic to gain your belief.

"More Power: Are you looking for more power from your wheels? Whether you have a stock or aftermarket intake system, the Turbonator will add up to 35 horsepower to your vehicle"
Up to 35 HP? So, if you were to gain 0.00131HP that comment would be accurate, as it says "up to" and does not promise any minimum amount of increase.

As you can see, this 'company' is relying on misleading 'evidence' to sell their product. That alone should incite that this product is a scam. Please, do not fall for this crap. Do not ever purchase one, and if anyone asks you about them, tell them what you've learnt.

If you're not sure about a product, just take a step back and think: Are these claims logical? If this is so revolutionary, then why I haven't heard of it? Why don't modern cars employ such ideas?

Hope you've learnt something here guys. Any more questions just post here and I'll answer you : :wink:
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Snail wrote:"More Power: Are you looking for more power from your wheels? Whether you have a stock or aftermarket intake system, the Turbonator will add up to 35 horsepower to your vehicle"
Up to 35 HP? So, if you were to gain 0.00131HP that comment would be accurate, as it says "up to" and does not promise any minimum amount of increase.
That argument is still false because they're saying that it IS possible on some applications, BUT IT ISN'T. It is not possible to get an extra 35hp by putting that thing in no matter what you drive, no matter what setup you have so therefore it is false. So it isn't accurate.
They could have also stated that it's good up to 300hp in gain... :roll:
Snail

Post by Snail »

They can still weasel their way out of any commitments made by a promise. "It is possible (if you have a twin turbo 2.2L quad throttled beast running at 12psi), when you add this to your setup"

It sucks i know, but most of the time they can get away with it :evil:
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

I think oz said simply, "creating a vortex before the combustion chamber, doesn't do anythin.

RRM Turbo Kit
Some other goodies.
cielo20

turbonator

Post by cielo20 »

hi i saw one of those things work, they improve engine breathing but you will not see much improvement in performance! you would be better off with a turbo! 8)
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Things sounding too good to be true.....usually are.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

We've already talked about it.. it doesnt do shit. It even makes it worst if anything.. do to turbulance.

I saw it in the store and it sparked my memory today, when i was like 12 i saw a commercial for it which lasted about 15mins and they showed how to install it and then tested it out on the track... it was total bs!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

kinkyllama wrote:We've already talked about it.. it doesnt do shit.
lol I like that, straight to the point. Sooo true though.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

AcingTeam wrote:

Im getting annoyied it keeps coming up... isnt there another post about it where everyone talks about it all scientific and stuff and they proved it didnt work?

someone delete this post please!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

kinkyllama wrote:
AcingTeam wrote:

Im getting annoyied it keeps coming up... isnt there another post about it where everyone talks about it all scientific and stuff and they proved it didnt work?

I hear ya.... and yes there's another post about all this where everyone came to a conclusion that this thing is garbage.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

AcingTeam wrote:
kinkyllama wrote:
AcingTeam wrote: lol I like that, straight to the point. Sooo true though.

I hear ya.... and yes there's another post about all this where everyone came to a conclusion that this thing is garbage.
Garbage is an understatment.. this things a piece of shit! even worst.. it annoys me every day cuz i see this post.. im im all OCD and HAVE to open it so it does stay dark, telling me it has anew reply
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Bump!!!

Juat to piss off Kinkyllama. :lol:
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

awww .... what the hell... one more bump for kinky... lol

:twisted: hehe

Take it easy bud... PM efrain or Erfinder.

RRM Turbo Kit
Some other goodies.