Megasquirt control of coilpack?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nemasys
Junior

Megasquirt control of coilpack?

Post by Nemasys »

Hey guys, i've recently figured out how to wire in my megasquirt in my 2.0 turbo project thru the crank sensor which means i would be able to run stand alone spark control.

I'm not quite sure how i should do this tho, would someting like an MSD ignition controler (MSD 6A for example) be able to fire the stock coilpack or do i need to install an aftermarket one or something compatible with MSD?

Thanks for any help!
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
exist3nce
Expert

Re: Megasquirt control of coilpack?

Post by exist3nce »

I'm actually interested in this as well.... I would like to replace the stock coilpacks with something stronger, but I'm not sure what is compatible with the stock ECU. I did a little testing myself, and found that during cranking the coilpack does receive 12V, which makes me think that either side is triggered with a ground, but upon bench testing I could not get it to fire as such... I would like to replace it with something better and that it also compatible with standalones.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

there aren't going to be a lot of options with the stock computer and a different coil pack becaus ethe drive for the coil is built into the ECU, which I'm sure most already know.

what I have in the plans for my computer setup is using the wiring harness and MSD coil pack upgrades for 95 Cavalier or Sunbird from the Quad-4 and the AEM FIC.

this way I get a dumber base computer that's capable of running a 2.3/2.4 and that has a very common GM two-post coil pack. it's a single o2 sensor setup and the FIC piggyback will work well with it. another upside is that since it comes from a GM car all the sensors are compatable.

as for the Megasquirt, i don't know about that thing. I looked into it a while ago and the feedback was all over the place. good, bad and indifferent.

I would suggest trying to see if a coilpack like the GM two-post would work for you in this case as well.
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Guys, buy VEMS (http://www.vems.hu) and you can do anything you want with your car...

I have 4 COP's (coil on plug) from audi 1.8T, 1000cc injectors, wide band LSU4 from audi 2.0T, idle actuator from fiat, launch control, flat shifting, traction control, boost controll based on gear and rpm and cars speed, full sequental injection and sparks, and have rock solid, steady spark, better economy than stock ECU and over 400HP...

Megashit (megasquirt) has known issue with spark drifting... I wouldn't put that shit on my engine for no money, even if it would be for free!

MY friend is driving C20XE (11:1CR) on stock pistons, stock conrods with ARP bolt on con rods and Z20LET head gasket, with garrett T3 trim60, on over 200kpa!!!!! (1bar of boost) With over 300HP on E85 day after day on VEMS of course... In the same situation, the engine would melt pistons on MegaShit long ago...
Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

Yeah well at over 1000 dollars just for the v3 ecu and wiring harness thats a little expensive for me, that's twice the price i paid for the megasquirt.

I really like that it uses megatune tho as im already familiar with it but for now its way out of my budget :(
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Well, I don't know what price are you looking at, but mine VEMS v3, costed me around 400US$ with LSU4 included, without casing and harness...

I have used stock harness (modified of course) and stock motronic casing (modified)... For about 1200US$ I have bought everything for the engine (stand alone, 1000cc injectors, COPS, all sensors, wideband, EGT, LCD, etc).. And I have get all the features mentioned above...