Brake upgrade options - Lanos (long post)

Here you will find write-ups and other modifications, with pictures and instructions.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Brake upgrade options - Lanos (long post)

Post by GsiTurbo »

Since there were several posts on the forum regarding the brake upgrade options I will try to cover some of the aspects of this topic?if you feel I have missed something, feel free to contact me.

Why Better Braking:

Better brakes not only provide higher level of safety, but also allow to bring the car to the not-moving state in much quicker and shorter timeframe - this also means keeping the speed longer before taking that 90 degree turn.

Fact:

The front brakes on Lanos are 236mm (1.5 SOHC) or 256mm (1.6 DOHC). The front rotors are vented to keep the brakes cooler and to slow down the fading process. The rear brakes are of a drum-type. The drums are 240mm mm in diameter.

Options:

The first logical option would be to install better quality, higher friction pads - that means going fully metallic. This would provide crisper braking, but the stock rotors would still be able to cope with that.

Next step is even more fun?some good stuff?like the EBC Green Stuff pads (Part Number DP2760). With the friction coefficient about 30% higher than typical semi-metallic pads and fade point of 550F they provide excellent continuous braking power. However, with this application, better rotors need to be installed to keep the things cool. Standard rotors will not be able to dissipate the extra heat, and as a result brake fading or even warping may occur.

There are three types of brake fade.
? The first is the conventional burning off of resins as the pads are being broken (bedded) in. This is known as green fade and occurs when gases from burnt resins are trapped between the pads and rotors. When this happens the pedal feels firm but the car will not stop.
? The second type of fade is when the pads are forced to work outside their temperature continuum. This is the point at which the resins burn off rapidly, and the pad has accelerated wear.
? The third type of fade is glazing. This is when the resins, which soften during active braking, then cool and solidify on the face of the pads. This glazed surface is hard and slick, and will not give the same coefficient of friction as an unglazed or new pad.

Interestingly, the same brake pads are used in Opel Kadett GSI 16V, Vauxhall Astra GTE 16V? As per http://www.brake-eng.com/ , Opel Astra Mk2 and Lanos use the same callipers (part number).

Early GMF calipers found in Pontiac Lemans/Opel Kadett non GSI

Late ATE (AC Delco) found in Opel Kadett 16V/Lanos

Improved brake feel and reaction can also be obtained by using some braided hoses. Normally, when the brakes are applied, some of the force is wasted by stretching the rubber brake hoses..the ideal upgrade would be installation of some braided brake lines, like the ones from Goodridge.net, part number SVA 0403-4 (US distributors: http://www.goodridge.net/usdistributors_auto.html)

Cooling
The oldest method of brake cooling is the installation of some cooling ducts, with the air intake in the vicinity of the front bumper. As the car moves forward, air will be forced via ducts onto the rotors cooling them down.

Modern disc castings usually use a dual and vented disc design. This alone provides improved cooling over the old-style solid disc design.

Drilled disc are another step forward in their design. While providing better air circulation around the disc, the operating temperature is greatly reduced decreasing the fade effect. Drilling also provide means of escape for the gases generated between the rotor and the brake pad during hard braking.

Disc slotting serves similar purpose to the drilled rotors in terms of removing the boundary gases. The main difference is the fact the slots remove glaze from the pads. The draw-back is the fact slotted disc go through the pads about 15% faster, but braking is always at 100%.

To avoid the inherent tendency of cross drilled rotors to crack, modern performance disks are dimpled rather than drilled, this technology helps keeping the rotor structure ridged and lowers its tendency to crack

The Lanos can use 256mm rotors off Pontiac Lemans 2.0. I got mine Brembo drilled rotors thru Raymond @ http://www.eliteauto.ca The cost was, if I remember properly, $86 CDN/disc. When inquiring, ask for part numbers 09.5148.20

1.3/1.5 SOHC Lanos disc:

1.6 DOHC Lanos disc:

Big Conversion Kit

There are, for sure, many options here using some aftermarket multi-pot calipers?however I am going to talk about another one, commonly used by tuners in Europe (this is based on 99% assumption that the bolt patter on the calipers in Lanos is the same as in Opel?)

The upgrade consists of installing brake rotors and calipers from Opel Vectra V6?
Items needed:
288mm ?V6? Kit
2 x 288mm vented Vauxhall discs, adapted to fit 4 stud hubs (re-drilled to 4-bolt patter 4X100mm)
2 x Vectra V6 calipers
1 x set of pads
2 x spacer rings to compensate for the 70mm center holes of the rotors as the OEM lanos holes are 60mm only

Minimum wheels size: 15?

And installed they look like this:

Whats the catch? Those calipers are not easily found on this side of the ocean?right? WRONG. Saab 900 shares the chassis with the Vectra?so all it takes is to contact the nearest Saab dealer and acquire? (I have done it in Canada?I will be honest - they are EXPENSIVE...you will be better off to get the set from your local scrap yard)?

288mm discs

Rear Brakes

Although there isn?t much that can be done with the rear drums?but they can be replaced with rear discs. Get some used rear disc assemblies off Vauxhall Astra Mk2 GTE/Opel Kadett GSI 16V and voila!! (you will need the E brake cables from the donor car)

The Vauxhall Performance Spares Center carries them - make sure to ask for Astra Mk2 GTE rear discs. They list complete rear disc beam for ?130.

Rear disc:

This is all for now...I will be updating this post as required. Feel free to contact me if you find any incorrect information, or if you have any further questions.
Last edited by GsiTurbo on Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Brake upgrade options - Lanos (long post)

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

GsiTurbo wrote:In North America, 2000 Lanos SX Sedan did come standard with rear discs. There are 4 bolts holding each hub to the axle?do I need to say more? BTW, you do need the SX?s hand brake cable.
This is probably the easiest, least enpensive way to get discs on the rear wheels for those of us with drums.

I am seriously thinking of doing this upgrade to my 2002 Lanos hatchback.

I think replacing the rear drums, even with stock discs would help the hatchback stop faster than it does with stock rear drums and still be able to keep stock wheels.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Any question?
ImageImage
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Here is a link to some parts over in UK

Tuning.co.uk
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I emailed Goodridge distributor in Canada about the braided hoses for Lanos.

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:21:37 -0500
To: GsiTurbo <xxxx@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Goodridge brake lines
Spoke with Goodridge USA. This part must be ordered through Damon Tweekes in
the UK. This is what is shown on their site.

Gary

----- Original Message -----
To: <info@kvrperformance.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 10:26 AM
Subject: Goodridge brake lines

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you guys can get the braided line kit for a european
model -
> Vauxhall Astra Mk2 GTE. The Goodridge part number is SVA0500-4, price
code
> is B (as per Goodridge.net PDF Catalogue).
>
> Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> -----/Tom
>
> xxxx@xxxxxxx
> www3.telus.net/GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Do the Nubria brakes fit onto the Lanos?

Do the Nubira and Lanos share the exact same hubs?

I was looking in my Nubira manual and it talked about 256mm front rotors.

It also mentioned rear drums and rear rotors so I'm a little confused about whether the Nubira came with rear drums or disks.

Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Erfinder wrote:Do the Nubria brakes fit onto the Lanos?

It also mentioned rear drums and rear rotors so I'm a little confused about whether the Nubira came with rear drums or disks.

Can anyone solve this riddle for me?
Nubira have front & rear disk brake.
ImageImage
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

There is also the Wilwood disc option. This is my setup; Wilwood Dynalite II's with 280mm discs. They were supplied by www.raldes.co.uk . This was kit BK9B, they do kits up to 310mm disc with Wilwood SPL4 callipers.

Cheers

Stef
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

mocpac_ser wrote:Nubira have front & rear disk brake.
So if one removed the master cylinder,front disk brakes, rear hub(with disk brakes) and emergency cable from the Nubira you should be able to fix up the Lanos with 256mm front and rear brakes.

I know there is a difference between the master cylinder for the 256mm SX and the stock 230mm front disk/rear drum so it would proabably be smart to upgrade the stock master cylinder (including proportional valves) at the same time.

The stock master cylinder would probably work but it's allways best to go with the proportional valve system and proper sized master cylinder designed for the size and type of brakes you are installing.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

These are a few pics of the larger Wilwood option. These are being fitted to my friends Astra which is being used for Hill Climbing and some Tarmac Rallying.

310mm Disc (Wilwood manufactured disc with custom machined bell)

Wilwood caliper. He's using a second hand one but they're well up to the job.

These are bit of an overkill for street use, but if anyone is going to use a nubria/lanos for motorsport they would be ideal (if your regs allowed it).

Stef
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Good thread to sticky! Thanks.

With the brake upgrades, what horsepower is everyone running?

If I do stay in the US, I will seriously consider getting a black Lanos hatch and look at swapping in an SR20DET AWD setup from a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R. I'm not saying I WILL do this and I don't want anyone to think that I'm talking all smack here. The swap may be impossible, but if I'm trapped in the US long term, then this is a swap that I will seriously look into and if its doable, then I have contacts back in Japan who I can trust to hook me up.

Now, having said that, it is very important to know if the fully upgraded brakes for a Lanos han handle, say around 400hp. My friends in their GTRs would use brake pads with Carbon fiber in them. I forgot the company name but no doubt someone here knows of a supplier in the US. These things would yank their cars to a halt! Loved them but I didn't have my car long enough to warrant buying new pads. Had to move back to the US. :cry:
SinDromX

Post by SinDromX »

400bhp in a Lanos :shock: woaw!!! You're makin' me dreamin'...
tango

Re: Brake upgrade options - Lanos (long post)

Post by tango »

360 Dynamics wrote: In North America, 2000 Lanos SX Sedan did come standard with rear discs.
Nope. Lanos never came with rear discs in any market. The Nubira came with rear discs but only in the 2.0L models. The 1.6L models had rear drums. All Leganzas came with rear discs whether they be 2.0L or the North American 2.2L.

Check this link:
2000 Lanos specs

As for a conversion to rear discs the best option is to get an entire rear end from a Vauxhall Astra GTE or GSi. I'm saying Vauxhall because Opels of this vintage were sold in non-English speaking Europe as Opel Kadets. Vauxhalls were sold in England and Ireland, where it might be easier for us Anglos to get information. I did this conversion (1993 Vauxhall Astra GSi) but there are things to consider.

1) The entire rear suspension is required because the mounting posts for the drums and discs are completely different.

2) The handbrake cables on both cars are fairly similar, but I agree with 360, get those from the disc'd car too. The connecting point to the single cable from the handbrake lever is the same though.

3) Disc brakes require more pedal movement for the brakes to apply by a given amount. Thus, adjustment of the pedal WILL be necessary to maintain brake force. This is a fairly easy thing. Remove the spring and the pin from the pedal and turn the U-bolt INWARD. The brake lamp switch will have to be readjusted by bending the mounting plate it's on to the point where it touches the pedal. This is a trial and error job as you'll need to see where the pedal is best to your liking. HOWEVER, be warned. If your car is automatic then you need to know that the torque convertor takes signals from the brake-lamp switch. The first millimetre or two of movement disengages the torque convertor (if locked) and beyond that the brake lamp is activated. If the brake lamp switch is not touching the pedal properly, you could suffer inconsistent locking of the torque convertor.

4) The rear discs are from a different car with a different master cylinder and front brakes as well. What this means is that brake force will not be properly distributed front and rear if only the rear discs are fitted. In other words the rear brakes will tend to lock up prematurely.

My advice would be to do the complete brake swap. Front discs and master cylinder also from the Vauxhall. This may seem a bit too much, but it would eliminate and problems faced with Points 3 and 4 above.
Cogito ergo sum...