DIY White Dials for Lanos Guage Cluster with Tach

Here you will find write-ups and other modifications, with pictures and instructions.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

giga_matt

DIY White Dials for Lanos Guage Cluster with Tach

Post by giga_matt »

Check out my latest mod. Got hold of a lanos guage cluster with tach and decided to make my own white dials for it (Mainly because www.daewootech.net dont sell them - i had previously bought original white dials from there which were very good).

From previous posts i had read that getting the tachometer working in a non-tachometer lanos was a right b*tch so i was not expecting it to be easy.

I have a few tips on the best way to remove\replace the needles on the clocks. Firstly remove the stoppers from all the clocks and let the needles drop right down (doesnt apply for fuel guage). I suggest leaving them from 5 mins or so as they still carry on falling for ages. Once you have done this rotate the needle clockwise all the way round to the maximum position and let go. Once the needle has stopped use a pencil to mark where the needle stopped on the plastic bezel. Then remove the needle.

Open the unit up to reveal the clock backs and remove them (should peel off gently - there is some double sided tape holding them on.

Once i had the dial backs i scanned them in

I then opened the image up in Corel PhotoPaint 11 (Can use anything like photopaint etc). I then inverted the image so that the black went to white and the white went black. The red (The km/h and red line etc) colors turn some other weird colour so i used the Replace colour facility; selected the original colour and then selected a new colour of blue. It was relatively easy but to do it yourself you will need a basic knowlege of photo editing and some half decent software.

If you are feeling very inventive you could add an image\logo or change the fonts of all the text or something - i was only interested in white dials.

Once you have the dials how you want them print them out on some high quality photo paper (Not too thick for the light to shine though).

I used a small craft knife and alot of patients to cut out the dials. Once fitted some trial and error is needed with the needles. Line the needle up with the pencil mark made earlier and genly push it on (Not all the way on). Then rotate the needle all the way to the max and let go.
If the needle falls in the same place as the pencil mark then youve got it bang on. If not remove the needle and try again until it does fall on the mark.

I then fitted some speedo rings

I bought 4 x LED wedge bulbs (Each bulb had 6 X super bright white leds) and replaced them with the boring old filament bulbs in the back. I also changed most of the smaller warning\indication lights to blue LEDs (Except for the serious ones which should be kept red i think).

Once the guage is ready its just a case of fitting it :

a bit of trial and error was needed to find out which way round the LED bulbs needed to go.

Blue-Lining - much safer than Red-lining! :lol:

In the dark - was supprised at how bright they are (didnt exepct the light to be completely diffused)

I was completely amazed to find that the Tachometer \ Rev Counter worked straight up - i was almost jumping for Joy! all i can imagine is the newer lanos 1.4's (Mines a 2000 model) have a different ECU or something.

I suggest this mod to anyone - its the best one i have done so far on my lanos.

Feel free to use my White dial template. It is 300dpi and will need to be printed at this setting for it to be the right size.

http://www.ukstudentlaptops.com/matt/ca ... 300dpi.jpg

or here are the original scans if you cant scan your own:

http://www.ukstudentlaptops.com/matt/car/Originals.jpg

Let me know what you all think.

MATT!
Signed By MATT!

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

VERY VERY VERY NICE WORK MAN :twisted:

it is really clean and very professional... very nice work but i got some questions for you:

1- where did you get the speedo rings from?

2- more info on the type of paper you printed the dials on will be great.

3- about the tach thing... do you have an ECU with 3 sockets or just two? i am trying to find a pattern to why some cars accept the tach swap rightaway and others gives us hard time.

thanks for your help.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BTW: i can see that in the night pics that the needles doesn't show up clearly in the dials (it is hard to see a white needle in a white dial in the background) and to overcome that you can use a marker pen to color the back side of the needles... in your case a blue marker will match perfectly :wink:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

that looks the bollox, im guna get my arse to the breakers, to have a practice. well done dude, very very original, i personally would have got UV leds for the golf look, but they look very very impressive. i want them on my new white lanos.
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Using that as an idea, and selling the gauges, LEDs, and Silver gauge trim as akit you could make for some kind of profit, if it was worth it.

That looks damn good!

I guess I'm gonna buy a scanner and test run it to see how it goes, only a few questions (some repeats).

1. I know where and what kind of LEDs to get for the large illumination bulbs, but what kind did you use for the sensor lights?

2. Where did you get that awesome metal gauge trim?

Keep up the good work!!!
giga_matt

Post by giga_matt »

Hi MMamdouh,

The speedo rings were from a German ebay auction that had been listed available to the UK. I had trouble reading their emails and they took a month to come but it was worth it.

Only cost ?15 (Had to pay in euros)

There ebay ID is octimex (click here http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZoctimex they have lots of other daewoo stuff too)

If the seller is not listing any, ask him how to get hold one some.

They went in v.easily, didnt even need glue - they just clipped in.

I printed the dials on high quality gloss photo-paper which was slightly less thick than normal stuff (mainly to allow as much light through as pos). You could experiment with different paper to see which is best.

Cant remember what ECU i have...will check later.

Yeah the pics in the dark are not took good as the flash was off and i had to try and hold the camera still to stop it blurring. In the dark there is a dark shadow around the needles allowing you to see them fairly clearly. Was thinking about using a blue marker pen to change them.

I was thinking of doing that with my old cluster BosnianLanos, fitting the white dials, rings and LED's and selling it on ebay.

these are the backlight led's i used (you will need 4 all together)

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=525

and the indication lamps use small wedge bulbs model 286:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=851

or you can get a new holder with the led's already in :

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=852

which is what i did as i didnt even realise that the wedge bulb pulled out of the holder :oops:

I realise that this website is in the UK and that most of the members of this site are not but its well worth a look - especially if you are in the UK.

So far i have changed all my indicators\repeaters, Stop & Tail lights, interior dome light to blue aswell as the guage cluster.
Signed By MATT!

Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

the 2 templates r different sizes... can u make it the exact size as the dials when the prints out? to hard to do on photoshop because photoshops raster based which means it deals on pixels while corels based on vector which deals on lines rather than pixels which makes it seem more photo perfect plus its faster because theres less pixels untouched
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

the print resolution is as accurate as a vector drawing, that's how a plotter would deal with it anyway
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

i swap my back lights to led's before i used the 6 led like you used i found them too be too spoty.

these i found to work the best. i got mine from superbrightleds.com (dont know if they ship to the uk) but they look like my stock ones did, but blue.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
giga_matt

Post by giga_matt »

Yeah they are very similar to the ones i have used for the 4 X bulbs behind. They have one large white led and loads around the side at an angle.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk is the best place in the UK
Signed By MATT!

Audacity Racing
moron

i would still sell my left nut for trim rings like those :roll:
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

how can u tell when the prints the exact size of the gauge
Audacity Racing
moron

if you use the native resolution of the picture (don't change it) and then print it according to the dpi... you'll get the image you want
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

any chance of gettin scans of a metric cluster with no tach? thank you