Project Super Swift

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Project Super Swift

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well, I can't keep the lid on this one any longer, GsiTurbo was supposed to drop a "teaser" pic onto the board yesterday but he's been too busy with the swap to get on the forum.

The project is a 2004 Suzuki Sprint ( same as Aveo ) with a C20GET swap.

Yes, you heard it right, a 2.0L 8V turbo swap into a Kalos chassis.

We started around 7pm friday and had the engine and tranny out with all the wiring disconnected by about 11pm friday.

Saturday morning was spent doing final assembly ( timing belt, water pump, thermostat, flywheel, clutch (new 6 puck clutch with 1200lb pressure plate), D16 transmission )

At 2pm the engine was ready to go in and it took us just 45 minutes to get the engine into the engine bay connected to all three primary engine mounts.

A slightly modified 2.0L 16V center mount was used on the C20GET insead of the usual front mount found on the Sunbird/Lanos/Lemans chassis

We had anticipated having to slightly alter the primary engine mount on the passenger side but to our surprise it slipped into the factory mounts with no modifications.

In fact the fit was so perfect that we were able to install the bolts and nuts by hand !!!!

So we can only surmise that the mount to mount distance is a "GM Standard" and the 2.0L 16V engine mount is slightly shorter to accomidate for the larger 2.0L block (versus 1.6L )

Everything went super smooth and by 4pm we decided to test fit a few different turbo setups as well as the C20GET intake and it's amazing how much room there is in the Kalos since all fit without a single issue.

I even managed to fit my massive T3/T4 into the Kalos chassis with several inches to spare ( in the Lemans I had to install a custom radiator and move it forwards 2" to get clearance )

GsiTurbo and our friend (who owns the Sprint) have been working on the car steady this weekend but I've been busy with other things for part of Saturday and most of Sunday because it's Thanksgiving here in Canada.

Last time I checked in with them at my shop they had the axles/suspension back together and they were sorting out the oil feed lines for the GT28 turbo our friend plans to use for this project.

At this point the car is ready to be towed back to our friends place so that the wiring can be sorted out to be installed with a Megasquirt standalone management system.

Unfortunatly I don't have the room to finish the project off at my shop but all the mechanical work should be completed by the time the tow truck shows up.

I have many pictures to upload but my camera is still at my shop so I probably won't get to them until Monday or Tuesday.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Yes, the 2.0/2.2 family motors were meant to 'bolt-in' into the Kalos chassis. Speaking of Plug'N'Play :)

Just a few details regarding the C20GET build-up:
- C20GET motor, fully rebuild with all bottom-end ARP fasteners
- ceramic coated and dry-film coated pistons
- full cylinder head port and polish
- uprated valve springs
- forged followers
- N/A variant intake manifold (larger TB) - on the photo the standard C20GET manifold is show (fitment test)
- flat flywheel
- GT28 turbocharger

And, a couple of photos for starters:

Stay tuned ;)
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Before

suspension disassembled to remvove axles

C20GET prior to final assembly

Attachment of engine hoist so that we could unbolt the engine from the engine mounts and drop the engine/tranny down to the ground.

After dropping the engine to the ground and supporting it the hoist was moved to the front of the car and attached to the towing hooks from the inside.
Then the car was lifted up until the engine/tranny cleared the suspension and then it was slid out sideways.

Here is where the engine/tranny were separated so that the tranny could be prepared for installation on the C20GET

After final assembly of the C20GET the Swift was lifted up with my forklift and the C20GET/tranny positioned under the engine bay.

Next the chassis was lowered slowly until the vehicle was back onto it's jack stands.
Then the hoist was brought in and attached to the C20GET

Finally the C20GET was lifted up into the chassis and that is when we were pleasantly surprized to find that the mounts aligned perfectly with zero modifications.
This was very unexpected so we were very excited and glad since this means that the engine is perfectly balanced and aligned, which reduced the install time estimate from 3 hours to about 45 minutes.

Here is the final product.... the C20GET in the Aveo

For the heck of it we fitted the stock C20GET intake and my massive T3/T4 just to see how much clearance there was.
The good news is that it has more room than the Lemans and Lanos which makes it a prime target for a nice simple engine swap.

Here it is on Sunday afternoon with everything reassembled and ready for it's wheels to be reinstalled.

Here is the Swift with the stock C20GET mainifold and his GT28 turbocharger.

Finally here is the car outside my shop waiting for a tow back to our friends place where the Electronics will be installed.

Our friend lowered the car with a custom adjustable suspension he fabricated (he's a machinist and accomplished vehicle builder) but he left the front higher than the back with the expectation that the 2.0L would weigh it down.

From my point of view I don't think the car dropped at all.... the 1.6L 16V is a heavy beast.... my personal opinion is that they aren't that different in weight... perhaps 10 to 20 lbs.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

That cars going to be a blast, so what's he doing with it?

I see he has SSR wheels w/ hankook ventus RS-2s so it's safe for me to assume he's doing track days, auto-x, or just has money to blow on street tires
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Cool idea for a swap! I have to wonder though, what is the power goal here? I'm not sure what the C20GET does stock, but if that D16 trans is weaker than the D20, I wouldn't count on it lasting long.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:Cool idea for a swap! I have to wonder though, what is the power goal here? I'm not sure what the C20GET does stock, but if that D16 trans is weaker than the D20, I wouldn't count on it lasting long.
That's what I was thinking. It'd be really nice to see the limits of it though, I know the aveo guys would love to know.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
AveoSS_8

Post by AveoSS_8 »

That is awesome.
So my guess is that the electical is going to be the hardest to hook up?
Everything looked like it went smooth.
Should this be something that someone else could do fairly easily with the right equipment?
And is there any kind of range in cost that you can give?

i wanted to swap engines in my aveo but since i thought it would be such a pain i stayed away but if it isnt that difficult this looks like a great possibility.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

theres one in the forsale section
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
AveoSS_8

Post by AveoSS_8 »

what other cars used the c20get motors stock?
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

pontiac sunbird and grand am I'm not sure what years I think the sunbird 87 to 89 not sure on the grand am hope this helps
2.0 engine swap in the works
whiteraven
Junior

Post by whiteraven »

DAMMIT!!! Now I'm Hella jealous man.... I want a 2.0L or larger in my Kalos.

Good luck on that Chris, let me know what you learn here on the boards, so one day I can emulate you.

Chris @ Precision Boost is my HERO!!!
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Aveo, Kalos is just like Lanos. Under the hood it is opel kadett-e/astra mk2, and you can fit every engine opel made ever, up to 2.5V6... 3.0V6 can be fitted with slit modifications...

C20XE or C20LET would be a better replacement, because it's DOHC same as stock 1.6 DOHC, so cops and law wouldn't even notice the difference and engine replacement...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

kinkyllama wrote:That cars going to be a blast, so what's he doing with it?

I see he has SSR wheels w/ hankook ventus RS-2s so it's safe for me to assume he's doing track days, auto-x, or just has money to blow on street tires
Alan's other car is an ultra wide body RX7 with a supercharged mustang 5.0L so he wanted his "daily driver" to be fun.

At the moment he's not doing track/autocross but that's because we don't have a local full time track.

Most events are held at the local airforce base or other places in town ( parking lots converted to a track for the weekend )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:Cool idea for a swap! I have to wonder though, what is the power goal here? I'm not sure what the C20GET does stock, but if that D16 trans is weaker than the D20, I wouldn't count on it lasting long.
He's looking for something in the range of 200WHP to start off .... if the D16 dies we will replace it with something better ( he allready made jokes about throwing in my M32 since it was sitting 4 feet from his car during the install )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

mr_g wrote:Aveo, Kalos is just like Lanos. Under the hood it is opel kadett-e/astra mk2, and you can fit every engine opel made ever, up to 2.5V6... 3.0V6 can be fitted with slit modifications...

C20XE or C20LET would be a better replacement, because it's DOHC same as stock 1.6 DOHC, so cops and law wouldn't even notice the difference and engine replacement...
Kalos is a different chassis than the MK2 , it might share something with the newer astra or corsa.... I'm not sure.... or it could be a completely Daewoo design.

The engine bay is significantly larger than the Lanos/Lemans/Astra MK2...... it looked smaller at first but after measuring the strut towers were something like 4 inches further apart.

It sure doesn't look larger at first.... but once the 1.6L was out we realized it was huge.... and with the C20GET in there it was amazing... you could almost stand on either side of the block inside the engine bay.

I'm sure a V6 would go in here with absolutely no problems.... in the Astra it's tight but the Kalos is bigger in all dimensions.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos