GsiTurbo 2.0L 16V Turbo buildup ***DYNORUN 236WHP 255WTQ***

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Upon my internet research, and talking to two 'independent' tuning shops, they are averall good. Yes, it had major issues at the beginning such as splitting compressor housing, but this has been since apparently corrected. Also, some people did not install oil feed restrictors (ball bearing turbos require much less oil flow than conventional bearing type cartridge). Eventaually, those turbos were 'blowing' oil.

Post by kinkyllama »

GsiTurbo wrote:After seeing my friend's turbonetics turbo, I decided mine looks rather uninteresting..
What did you use to do this? Looks nice!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

yeah, what did you use to get it so nice and shiny? and what did you use to get everything on the engine so clean?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Nubira2.2 wrote: dis you had a problem with the fitme in the fuel rail with the OEM O rings ? where did u get them, what size ?
oem in the DSM injectors get too big and doenst fit in the fuel rail
Sorry man, somehow I missed this.

It did not have problems to insert the injectors. Yes, it was a snug fit, but it did not feel as 'wrong size'. Having said that, I did apply some assembly lube onto O-rings, which for sure helped a bit. I am using Accell 500cc injectors.

As far as polishing the compressor housing, I did the following:

Compressor housing must be removed from the turbo, or damage may occur

- lettering, markings and large steps were removed using large file
- hard to get areas got smoothed as mush as possible by hand with 100 grid sandpaper
- 180 flapper wheel was used to smoothen the entire surface (I used 3 different sizes)
- Redid entire housing in 240 grid
- used polishing wheel like this, and attached it to the die grinder. Used with polishing compound

And today I sealed it with 3 layers of clear-coat to prevent oxidation. Looks really awesome ;)

Tom

Post by ubuyau »

Pretty :oops:

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7466 I like to polish too 8)

In real life is it smooth enough having done only up to 240? I found it was still very scratchy and rough with such a coarse grade?

--Tim
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

That compressor housing looks sweet. My buddy who has a 480 whp Camry did the same thing to his GT40R housing and it looks even better in real life! Not sure if he used the same method, as I never asked.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

GsiTurbo wrote:
Motor front:
Just lookin through the thread again, I can't beleive how clean that motor is....looks so nice.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
decyphex
Junior

Post by decyphex »

kinkyllama wrote:Just lookin through the thread again, I can't beleive how clean that motor is....looks so nice.

ME EITHER!! Makes me want to get my T20 that clean. They just dirty themselves up after a while though..
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

So this saturday started just like any other ordinary day. Since some of the parts I was waiting for arrived (together with Chris' items), time have come to put them to use.

Got the flywheel installed, together with the ARP bolts. This is the lighter 'flat' style flywheel.

Clutch and pressure plate

At this point, it only made sense to install the gearbox...

The day before, Chris, Rage_rman and I towed the GSI over the friend's shop (THANK YOU GUYS!!!!), so in essence the plan for today was to install the motor.

And somewhat in place

Then 2 hours later, after running round and finding all the bolts, nuts and brackets

With test fitted radiator

Altough the install was done after 9 hours (including couple of trips to get supplies, parts and food), everything went very smoothly in essence. Not a glitch (crossing fingers). With car hoist, proper tools and good help, this is really easy. At the end, I was very happy.

Tommorow all the gearbox linkages are to be reconnected, clutch cable. One of the rear calipers is leaking slightly, therefore rebuild kit is to be installed.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Tom

Post by kinkyllama »

muwahhaa. I like the style of those wheels as well...they look light too!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The rims are Kosei K1 Racing. 5 years ago, they were insanely light, at 16.7 lbs per wheel. But this is still light. Unfortunately, this line is now discountined (just when I need another wheel).

Post by exist3nce »

nice looking work Tom.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

wooohooooo finally its in! looking clean mate!
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

GsiTurbo wrote:The rims are Kosei K1 Racing. 5 years ago, they were insanely light, at 16.7 lbs per wheel. But this is still light. Unfortunately, this line is now discountined (just when I need another wheel).
I thought thats what they were...they arn't discountined??? In your size you mean or something?

I'm looking at actually buy a set for the street as they are one of the few 16s in my width that are light and not expensive...but I'm probably going to paint them as they only come in white or grey.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Update for Feb 6th:

- fabricated two radiator brackets. They are using stock anti-vibration bushings. Placing rods were welded onto the radiator. There will be 3rd vibration bracket, but final exact mounting location of the rad will be determined tommorow.
- build new upper crossmember support brackets

I was worrying about the alternator... since I am using front mount, I cannot get the factory tensioner/Power steering. Basically, in the end, I converted it onto manual tension system.. The tensioner bracket is from Lemans 1.6. It required some heavy duty bending and twisting to alter the shape, but at the end it worked ;)

In the OEM setup, the upper bracket of the alternator is bolted to the bracket on the left. It is now replaced with the tensioner slider.