P0342 error code

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kopisti

P0342 error code

Post by kopisti »

Hi,

The MIL is on in my Lanos and I have an error code P0342 - Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Low Input.
Does anyone know it's always the sensor or it can be a bad wiring/connection?
I called a couple of shops and quoted this part by I got an answer there is no cam sensor in this car. According to a service manual it's a speed sensor. What is this part then? Part number: 10456507
I am also looking to buy this part in the UK.

Thanks
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I had that code a while back. Turned out to be exactly that, Camshaft position sensor. Had it replaced under warranty, and no problems since.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Spider
Expert

Re: P0342 error code

Post by Spider »

kopisti wrote:Hi,

The MIL is on in my Lanos and I have an error code P0342 - Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Low Input.
Does anyone know it's always the sensor or it can be a bad wiring/connection?
I called a couple of shops and quoted this part by I got an answer there is no cam sensor in this car. According to a service manual it's a speed sensor. What is this part then? Part number: 10456507
I am also looking to buy this part in the UK.

Thanks
Don't do any business with those shops that tell you there is no cam sensor on a lanos !.
They don't know anything about a Lanos.

Yes, If the sensor has never been recalled it probably is a bad sensor. most all of them were recalled.
Your in the UK ? I'm assuming you bought your car used?
Do a search for Daewoo of UK. Go to Daewoo "Home"
After you register ? You can submit your vehical I.D. number and find out if it has been recalled.

If its been recalled and the sensor replaced ? Than you need to check the sensor connector (in fact ?check it anyway whether it's been replaced or not) for a good "snap" connection.
Also all related wires for a good connection. Also the connection on the injectors. If any of these wires are loose or chafed a good road bump will throw the CEL

Good Luck!
Keep us posted and welcome to the forum "kopisti"
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Spider wrote: Don't do any business with those shops that tell you there is no cam sensor on a lanos !.
Spider: not all lanoses got can sensors... mine doesn't. it depends on the emissions regulations and accordingly type of managment on the engine itself.

kopisti:how many CATs and O2 sensors do you have? if you have one of each then you got no cam position sensor.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

MMamdouh wrote:
Spider wrote: Don't do any business with those shops that tell you there is no cam sensor on a lanos !.
Spider: not all lanoses got can sensors... mine doesn't. it depends on the emissions regulations and accordingly type of managment on the engine itself.

kopisti:how many CATs and O2 sensors do you have? if you have one of each then you got no cam position sensor.

MMamdouh
Thanks for all of you,

There are two O2 sensors on my Lanos. One of them is a 1(2) wire, just after the engine in the exhaust manifold, the other one is a 4 wires after the flex pipe cat. converter.
I've got a drawings about my SOHC engine and according to that this part is a 'speed sensor' (10456507).
This sensor is situated just behind the camshaft gear.

kopisti
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

MMamdouh wrote:

MMamdouh
MM... Thanks for that. I stand corrected.
I forgot about country's other than the USA (where as far as I know, all USA Lanos do have cam sensors)

I also (wrongly?) assumed the P0342 code could only be thrown if the engine has a cam sensor on it.
And I am still wondering about that.
:?:

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Kopisti: the sensor behind the cam gear is a cam position sensor... you are running on OBD II managment since you got 2 O2 sensors and 2 CATs and in OBD II you got to have cam position signal.

the refrence you found in the manual is wrong for sure... the only sensor that sits behind the cam gear is the cam position sensor... the speed sensor is sitting on top of the tranny case very close to the starter.

Spider: i was wondering as well how a car in the UK is not running OBD II but i thought it might be... but after the confirmation about the 2 O2 sensors and the location of the sensor in question i can confedently say it is a cam sensor indeed and the "speed sensor" reference Kopisti found is not accurate

i got a pic for a cam position sensor on a 1.5 SOHC but i can't find it now... will post it when i find it.

MMamdouh
kopisti

Post by kopisti »

MMamdouh wrote:Kopisti: the sensor behind the cam gear is a cam position sensor... you are running on OBD II managment since you got 2 O2 sensors and 2 CATs and in OBD II you got to have cam position signal.

i got a pic for a cam position sensor on a 1.5 SOHC but i can't find it now... will post it when i find it.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh: This sensor is the number 14 on the picture I've got.

kopisti
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

then they might be reffering to cam shaft speed rather than car speed or so... if it is a car speed sensor then you will get reading on the speedometer when the engine is idling and the car is at a halt... i am sure they are reffering to cam speed not car speed.

anyways this is a cam position sensor and it matches the error code you got... time to shop for parts.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Cam position sensor on Dhd's 1.5 SOHC lanos:

MMamdouh
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Nice pics m8.
My 1998 1.4 Lanos is UK spec and doesn't have the cam sensor and only 1 O2. It uses the older 12 pin ADSL. I think Kopisti must have the newer model made around 2002 (the one with the redesigned rear lights which only have one reverse and one fog). They discontinued the Lanos soon after 2002 so I don't think there are many of the newer uk spec Lanos with the cam sensor.

It puzzles me why the UK class it has a 1.4 when it's a 1.3 in other countries. I don't think they did a 1.5 lanos for the UK market only the smaller sohc and the 1.6 dohc.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is actually a 1349cc engine so it is half way between the 1.3 and 1.4 :)

you can easly stroak that engine with the 1.5 crank and conn. rods though

MMamdouh
kopisti

sensor no.: 10456507

Post by kopisti »

I've found this part on the net, it says 'speed sensor'. I think is the cam sensor anyway.
I haven't changed it yet on my Lanos.

kopisti
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

Turtle_Wax wrote:Nice pics m8.
My 1998 1.4 Lanos is UK spec and doesn't have the cam sensor and only 1 O2. It uses the older 12 pin ADSL.
Oh cool,you have high speed internet in your car,wish mine did :)
kopisti

Re: sensor no.: 10456507

Post by kopisti »

Sensor has been changed, nothing happened. The CEL is still on.
Anybody has an electrical drawing for a Lanos (OBD II)? Any idea?

Thanks,

kopisti