rkarl89203

Idle Speed Lanos 1.6 DOHC 2001

Post by rkarl89203 »

How do you set the idle speed?

Thanks for any help
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

There is a screw on the throttle body that adjusts the tension and position of the cam that the cable is wrapped around. Just need a phillips screwdriver :)

If it continues to idle too high after adjusting the screw, try sliding the cable in the bracket... there are numerous positions for it to click to.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Audacity Racing wrote:There is a screw on the throttle body that adjusts the tension and position of the cam that the cable is wrapped around. Just need a phillips screwdriver :)

If it continues to idle too high after adjusting the screw, try sliding the cable in the bracket... there are numerous positions for it to click to.
Are you sure on that point, bro?

For me idle speed is controlled by ECU through Idle Air Control valve, providing there are no vacuum leaks and that butterfly and Throttle Position Sensor are correctly set.

Am'I wrong?

Daniel
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I think your both right...what audacity said to do adjusts the actual position of the throttle. It can increase idle speed (by actually moving the throttle as if you were barely touching the gas) and reduce it to a point...but when you reach about 900 rpm the computer uses the IAC to keep the idle up.

Jimmy
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

The ecu controls the idle speed via the ISCV. Sometimes the iscv goes a bit wonky and causes the idle to rev too high.

If you turn the adjuster screw while the engine is running it will increase the revs but when you restart the engine the ecu will automatically adjust the idle to what it should be. If you turn the screw too much it will be outside the parameters of the ecu to control and will idle very high. I adjust the screw just enough that prevents the butterfly sticking and gives a smooth throttle.