first post! low power high fuel.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

fasterstill

first post! low power high fuel.

Post by fasterstill »

Hi Guys
Had my Nubira for 5 years now, much underated car for the money.
Just had to change the clutch and A frames, not bad for five years motoring in my opinion :) Its a 9 year old car and it still had the origional clutch and it still had meat on it, thrust bearing went and i certainly don't drive it gently.
Its always been a bit on the thirsty side but i put that down to a 1.6 litre pulling an estate car around. Reading the posts it seems others are getting nearer the normal milage stated by Daewoo. I,ve never been able to get 30mpg even on a long motorway run.
The other thing that makes me think i have a problem is that i have to use the revs and slip the clutch to get any decent pullaway. Been doing this so long i did'nt realise it untill i drove someone elses recently. When driving Revs need to be above 3000 before theres any torque and above 4000 before it feels responsive.
Two things i noticed, small exahust leak and one of the vacume pipes on the end of the intake manifold is split. Would either of these cause low milage and loss of low end torque?
Im in my 40's now with three kids so spending out on a new car is out of the question, this little WOO will have to be kept for a while yet so i am going to spend a few hundred to make driving it a little more fun.
Ordered some 40mm lowered/ uprated SPAX springs, performance filter which i will be doing the remove resonator box trick and pipeing cool air through the wing via ducting. That and a realy good service im hoping will make this a little more fun to drive.
Anyone know of any more cheap tips to increase the fun factor?
Thats enougth woffle for now but if anyone knows if those two points i mentioned can effect the mileage or low end torque please post or if you have any other things i should look at.

cheers guys
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Welcome fasterstill,

Sounds like your clutch is "slipping" That would explane excessive fuel usage. Could be time for a new clutch/pressure plate ?
They have a life span.

And for sure replace any questionable vacuum hose's
And If you haven't done any regular service to it for 5 years?
Now is the time !
:lol:
You should:
Install a new air filter, fuel filter, sparkplugs, change your oil and oil filter,
air up your tires, check that your brakes aren't dragging.

Don't rest your foot on the brake peddle while your just tooling down the road.
And keep your E-Brake off while driving too. :lol:

Run some good injector cleaner thru it..
Dump a can of Sea Foam or Barrymans B-12 (or whatever equivalent your country has) in the tank.

Driving habits have a huge effect on fuel mileage. If you really want better mileage?
Try going a little slower and taking off without flooring your gas peddle.
If you can get close to 30 mpg? I think thats pretty good for you and your car.

My little lightweight lanos will get 30~32 MPG on a long highway trip. And it's in tip-top tune up.

Hope this helps.

Keep checking this thread as other forum members will probably offer more ideas/suggestions.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Given the statement about the " estate car " I have to assume your from the UK

Now if you are from the UK and your talking about 30MPG... well that's not great since a UK gallon is significantly larger than a USA gallon

30MPG in the UK is the equivilent of 25MPG in the USA.

So if you are indeed using imperial gallons then there is definitly something wrong with your engine.

Absolutely yes on the vacuum hose as spider allready said..... a manifold leak like that can cause all sorts of problems... especially if that line is connected to something important.

Also keep in mind that the 1.6L Ecotec in the Corsa and Astra are the same engine as in your Daewoo.... except the Vauxhalls have a set of higher compression pistons... which gives it more power.

I'm sure a gently used Vauxhall 1.6L should be very easy to find should you get fed up with your current engine.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

Hi GUYS

Thanks for the replys,

Spider: No m8 the clutch is fine only three months old.
Precion Boost: Yes m8 im in the UK so its the big gallon:)

Ok so today i managed to do a temp repair of the vacume hose, temp as belive it or not the car accessory shop does not carry anything to replace the old tubes.
Also fitted a new high performance air filter. Fitted into the wing where the old resonator box went. Plumbed in with 21/2" plastic tube.
I did notice that there was also a split in the rubber gater or whatever its called, the bit that fixes directly to the intake manifold and has the air sensor and oil vapor return in. The split was after the air sensor so i guess the engine was breathing some heated air from the engine bay and not registering the air flow properly. Anyway fixed that as well.
Sounds lovely !!! Can't hear the blowing exhaust now :) (EDIT: Actualy its to loud, need to make quiter)
BUT.....no extra power, still seems gutless at low revs, can't see any difference at all realy which surprises me considering the two leaks are fixed and the performance air filter. Was hoping that was it but no still looking :(
Tomorrow i'll change the plugs, fuel filter, oil filter and do an oil change. Lets hope the problems there somewhere.
Any other thoughts guys? Don't think theres any major problems with the lump as it sounds fine, no rattles, knocks, nothing.

Right one other question which is going to make me sound like a right Muppet. Is the 1.6 16v e-tech engine fuel injection or carb? I know sounds dumb but i could not see any injectors and on the end of the inlet manifold it looks like a carb body, butterfly valve and all. Can't imagin why you'd need a butterfly valve for choke if its injection, surly thats done in the ECU.
Sorry guys LONG LONG time since i built an engine, Rover v8s were my thing but never worked on an injection lump.
So if any more ideas please post.

Just a last thought, what about this reseting i've read about. turning of the power then turning the ignition on and of for 5 seconds a couple of times, could this be nessersary after its been running badly for so long?

Looking forward to your input.

Cheers.
Last edited by fasterstill on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

yes it is fuel injected. the injectors are in the fuel rail that leads directly into the cylinders through the head.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

While we're on topic. What is the average lifespan of a clutch in a 1.6L Lanos?
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

JohnnyC wrote:While we're on topic. What is the average lifespan of a clutch in a 1.6L Lanos?
Johnny,
If you get 50 answers to this question ? They will all probably be different.

Clutch wear is in portion to how you use your clutch and everyone is different.

That said, if your not a "floor it and pop the clutch" person? It should last a long, long time.

A really conservative clutch user would probably wear out the car itself before the clutch went out.

Than again? A 'jackrabbit' launcher could wear one out in 15k miles.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Thanks Spider. I'm gentle on my clutch and so is my wife, so I'm guessing it will last a good long while. :) I was just curious. :)
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Your catalytic converter is dead probably. Also, change the spark plugs and spark cables.

Maybe your VGIS isn't closeing... VGIS closes in low rpm to make better torque, and opens on high rpm to make more power... 1.6L e-tec engine have lover CR then vauxhalls and yet has the same power. It's VGIS that gave this power... So if VGIS isn't working corectly, that this is the problem...

VGIS is using those vacuum hoses to open.. Also check the IAT sensor. It's on inlet tube next to air filter..

My lanos with that engine 1.6 16V 105HP, had less then 10s 0-60mph time... I had removed the catalytic converter and removed air resonator inside the front bumper, put some opened exhaust and it performed great...

And if you get tired of that slow engine, you can put ANY opel/vauxhall engine on your stock gearbox.. I did put 2.0 16V inside... It's 150HP, tuned up to 170HP...
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

[quote="fasterstill"][quote="mr_g"]Your catalytic converter is dead probably. Also, change the spark plugs and spark cables. quote]

Arrrrr!!! CAT DEAD, why do you say that? how would the CAT effect power output? The cost of replacing that could kill the car.
Have changed the plugs and leads. Also just changed the fuel filter and the fuel that ran out of BOTH ends of the filter was filthy.
Is there anyway of checking the CAT apart from going to a garage, MOT due at the end of this month :(
Is it possible to run without the CAT in the UK? if so what do i need to do?

[quote="fasterstill"][quote="mr_g"]
Maybe your VGIS isn't closeing... VGIS closes in low rpm to make better torque, and opens on high rpm to make more power... 1.6L e-tec engine have lover CR then vauxhalls and yet has the same power. It's VGIS that gave this power... So if VGIS isn't working corectly, that this is the problem...
VGIS is using those vacuum hoses to open.. Also check the IAT sensor. It's on inlet tube next to air filter.. quote]

Thanks for those suggestions especialy the VGIS part, sounds a likely culprit from your discription, but how do i test and correct please. Also how do you test the IAT sensor, resistenace on a multi meter or something?

Any and all feedback greatfully recived :)

Cheers guys.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if the cat is dead it is clogged, adn isnt letting exhaust out. its the same as if you were to stuffa potatoe into your tail pipe.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Replacing my cat only cost me 90 bucks...just have them put in a universal one.

If it is the first cat your thinking of...they are ridiculously expensive but I think someone can tell you a cheaper alternative.

JImmy
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

daewoomofo wrote:if the cat is dead it is clogged, adn isnt letting exhaust out. its the same as if you were to stuffa potatoe into your tail pipe.
Ok so i don't think thats the problem and it doesn,t smell which i understand they do when there finished.
One other point, just changed the plugs and they were fine so i can't see its been running rich which i understand is what kills them.

Just saying that, the plugs were in good shape, doesn't that mean the low power at the bottom end can't be anything to do with mixture, sensors, air or fuel if the plugs were fine?
fasterstill

Post by fasterstill »

Ok checked the VGIS and that seems to be working OK, opens and closes when removing and reattaching the vacume hose so i take it its not the problem.

On the Clutch thing, mine was just changed at 93000 for the first time. It still had some meat left on it but the thrust bearing gave up and i do drive it :) if you know what i mean ;) Mind you i do have the habit of blipping the loud pedel when changing down so i guess that helps.

Have noticed that when turning off the engine i get a huge gasp of air through the new filter which i didn't notice before , is that normal?

What should i use to clean the air sensor in the induction tube? Carb cleaner?
Spider
Expert

Spark Plug reading...

Post by Spider »

~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison