Bad fuel economy

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

taksepidar

Bad fuel economy

Post by taksepidar »

Hi
I got bad fuel economy on my Daewoo Cielo 97
I want start to check it with catalytic converter because I had misfire for 1 month and also some time bad smelling when I park my car any suggestion?

btw is there any English manual for my car?

thanks
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

For better fuel economy, you can replace: air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, check the catalic converter. But in your car you have a misfire its posible product of a bad coil, or spark plugs, or spark plugs wires...
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
taksepidar

Post by taksepidar »

Hi
No I fixed misfire problem long time ago but I guess it damaged my catalic converter and so I have bad fuel economy now

BTW what is symptom of clogged catalic convertor?

Also does anybody know which of Holden Engine used in my Daewoo Cielo 97

cheers
john

jorge wrote:For better fuel economy, you can replace: air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, check the catalic converter. But in your car you have a misfire its posible product of a bad coil, or spark plugs, or spark plugs wires...
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

taksepidar wrote:Hi
No I fixed misfire problem long time ago but I guess it damaged my catalic converter and so I have bad fuel economy now

BTW what is symptom of clogged catalic convertor?

Also does anybody know which of Holden Engine used in my Daewoo Cielo 97

cheers
john
Hi,

A defective catalyst has a rotted egg odor. And it will not undoubtedly pass any more the anti-pollution test.

Daniel
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Could very well be fouled O2 sensors. If you had a misfire, they'd be coated in black fuel residue. Take both out and clean them. Put them back in and see if it helps.
taksepidar

Post by taksepidar »

Hi
what is the best way to clean catalysis converter? just open it and wash with water or any solvent?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't think CATs are washable/cleanable... you got to replace them.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

MMamdouh wrote:i don't think CATs are washable/cleanable... you got to replace them.

MMamdouh
+1...That is correct.
Turtle_Wax
Junior

Post by Turtle_Wax »

Try it with the O2 disconnected and see if it improves. I've got a bad O2 and when connected the engine runs crap but disconnect it and it miles better.
taksepidar

Post by taksepidar »

but have a look at this patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6913026.html :roll:

Andrew21 wrote:
MMamdouh wrote:i don't think CATs are washable/cleanable... you got to replace them.

MMamdouh
+1...That is correct.

taksepidar

Post by taksepidar »

No in fact I test my O2 and it work fine as far as I can test it, if any one want to know I will tell how I test it.........
Turtle_Wax wrote:Try it with the O2 disconnected and see if it improves. I've got a bad O2 and when connected the engine runs crap but disconnect it and it miles better.
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

How did u test ur O2 ?? :roll:
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

mezomaster wrote:How did u test ur O2 ?? :roll:
good question, i didnt know they could test O2's

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
taksepidar

Post by taksepidar »

mezomaster wrote:How did u test ur O2 ?? :roll:
First be casurefull of moving parts and electricity shock and make sure the engine is in normal working temperature

Usually o2 sensor have 1 wire otherwise refer to service manual to find out with one is ground and with one is positive and ...
while o2 sensor connected measure the output voltage with digital multimetre and it should jump between 0.1 and 0.9 or at least between 0.2 and 0.8 V rapidly this is the first test( in fact it is important how fast it jump but it is not possible to measure it with multimetre)

now disconnect the wire and while keeping one end of wire which go to ECU with one hand touch the Negative pole of battery with other hand and measure the output voltage of o2 sensor it should be fixed around 0.8 or 0.9 and you distinguish increasing in engine speed( in fact you fool ECU to rich the mixture)

vise versa touch the positive pole and o2 output should be around zero(0.1V) and engine is going to stop

I hope it was helpful and let me know if I am not right( because I did it long time ago) :idea: