fuel pressure regulator, code P0001

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Spider
Expert

fuel pressure regulator, code P0001

Post by Spider »

Well, its like only 2 weeks since I received my new code reader and now I have a my first CEL . :(

This is the code:
P0001
says:
"fuel pressure regulator, open circuit"

This is what I have noticed:
For the last month or so the engine does not start immediately but takes a few more extra cranks than it use to.
After it starts it idles well and runs smooth.
My gas mpg is a little lower.
Today after it started I jumped out and ran around to the back, looking for black smoke, NONE !
But I did notice a faint smell of raw gas.

Heres is what I have done so far:

Checked all the vacuum hoses.
Replaced the fuel-pressure regulator hose. The old one was old but seemed ok though.
Checked the fuel-lines for obvious leaks. None (but I don't have a fuel decent pressure gauge.)

Replaced the fuel-pressure regulator with a known good one.
Cleared the "CEL"
Drove about 50 miles and threw the CEL again.. (same code)

Here is what I noticed when I replaced the regulator:

When I pulled out the regulator from the end of the rail? raw gas spilled out behind it.
This surprised me because I had just done the "stall out procedure" to relive the pressure.

This is what I am thinking now:

The injectors (90k miles on em) could be leaking ?

This is what ( need now :

Advice/Help !

and......
In all humble-ness;
Thanks in advance !

Spider

P.s. This is the factory stock fuel pressure regulator In fack my whole engine is totally stock.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

could be leaking injectors

i can't see how you get a code for FPR as it is not an electrical device and the ECU got no idea about the pressure in the system through any sensors.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

My guess is with "Open Circuit", it is a fuel injector that is leaky. No way that the regulator would throw a code, its a strictly mechanical piece.

Test the resistance of your fuel injectors with a Voltmeter.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Thanks guys !!
Yes, I was wondering the same thing! No electrical circuit to the FPR. But something fuel related has to be throwing that CEL, right?
My code reader is good.. but not top of the line. FPR code is probably the best it can do. :)
I do suspect the injectors too. either electrical or just plain leaking.
I have the complete rail and injectors off of my old engine (that engine always started on one crank) and am considering swapping them onto this engine, rail and all as one unit. Just to see how it works out. Wouldn't cost me anything but my time. And yes, before i do that I will check the resistance w/my meter. Check it right at each injector, right ?

One last question ?
As long as its starting and running well. I would like to continue driving for a while, I need some time for other projects, before i do the "injector-work" ...maybe another 500 miles.

What are my chances of having this "problem" break me down along side the road ?
i know, anything is possible, but whats your "guess" ?

Again, THANKS !
I really appreciate your expert feedback
:)
Spider
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

It shouldn't break down on you. If the injector were stuck open, it would fill your cylinder with fuel and black smoke would come out the back. If it were stuck closed, You'd be running on three cylinders, and running like crap. My guess is a clogged injector that can close only partially. Try some injector cleaner first, I like Seafoam, and see if that helps at all.

I think our OEM injectors are sorta weak, they're a common problem.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

BosnianLanos wrote:It shouldn't break down on you. If the injector were stuck open, it would fill your cylinder with fuel and black smoke would come out the back. If it were stuck closed, You'd be running on three cylinders, and running like crap. My guess is a clogged injector that can close only partially. Try some injector cleaner first, I like Seafoam, and see if that helps at all.

I think our OEM injectors are sorta weak, they're a common problem.

Thanks Bosnian Lanos,

Your answer gives me the confidance in my woo that it deserves !
How could I doubt such a dependable car ? :roll:

I will treat it to some Seafoam, drive it and keep an eye out for black smoke and/or rough running.
I'll post the results in a few days.

Spider
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BosnianLanos wrote: I think our OEM injectors are sorta weak, they're a common problem.
you got that right bro... this is why i used BOSCH injectors instead of the GM ones.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Spider wrote: What are my chances of having this "problem" break me down along side the road ?
Spider
as a person that faced this issue twice and have a 4 pages post of diagnosis about that i say... NONE.

your worst case cenario will be too long cranking till you get it started, bad fuel economy and spark plugs that won't last long... if you don't fix this for too long it could affect your starter motor, battrey and O2 sensor and maybe your CAT

basically it is not an urgent fix and won't leave you on the side of the road but it has bad effect$ on the long run.

MMamdouh
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

MMamdouh wrote:
Spider wrote: What are my chances of having this "problem" break me down along side the road ?
Spider
as a person that faced this issue twice and have a 4 pages post of diagnosis about that i say... NONE.

your worst case cenario will be too long cranking till you get it started, bad fuel economy and spark plugs that won't last long... if you don't fix this for too long it could affect your starter motor, battrey and O2 sensor and maybe your CAT

basically it is not an urgent fix and won't leave you on the side of the road but it has bad effect$ on the long run.

MMamdouh

Thanks for this, MM.
I tried to find your 4 pages of diagnosis but failed.
Do you happen to have the link to it ?

What engine use's the Bosch injectors that you got for your woo ? (or, whats the part number ?)
again, thanks !
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

these injectors were from a BMW M40 1600c.c. engine, its a direct swap, u will fit the BMW injectors in the Daewoo fuel rail with no more hard job to do
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

mezomaster wrote:these injectors were from a BMW M40 1600c.c. engine, its a direct swap, u will fit the BMW injectors in the Daewoo fuel rail with no more hard job to do
Perfect !!!

What about gas useage? Will these injectors use more than the Daewoo factory ones?

Also the price ? costly ?

I have the rail off my old engine. My car is still ok, so I plan to get that rail all ready to go (new injectors, o-rings) than do the swap.
At least, thats my plan. Money is the factor right now..

Thanks Mezomaster !

~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

well... for me (1.5 SOHC owner) the injectors are a bit bigger than stock but the ECU feels that through the O2 sensor and gets every thing back to normal... my fuel consumption is better than what it used to be with the leaky GM ones

i tried the same injectors on a 1.6 DOHC Nubira and they were perfect both consumption and performance wise so i recon it will be a very good solution for the 1.6 DOHC lanos guys

those injectors are BOSCH injectors from a 1600CC M40 BMW engine... it is kinda old engine but it is available here in Egypt and the injectors set are some 35USD... no idea about price and availability in the US though.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

and here are the links:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2320
it turned out to be a 6 pages post after all

and here is the injectors swap:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8614

MMamdouh
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

u welcome man, i am using those injectors in my 1.6L nubira and they r working great in everything, i have done some extra things also, which is cutting my daewoo regulator flange and weld the flange of the BMW regulator and used the BMW regulator and its performing even more and more better and accelerate better also, its great now
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Thanks guys !!
All sounds good to me. It will be a little while before I do mine. But soon and I will keep you informed as I go.
Probably have more questions too.
That price is GOOD! Gonna check tomorrow at my local parts store and hopefully they can equal it.
OK, I'm off to read those links now !
Again thanks !
I appreciate it.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison