Timing Belt Area-(Idle)or(Tensioner) -WHINNING! -NOW FIXED!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Andrew21

Timing Belt Area-(Idle)or(Tensioner) -WHINNING! -NOW FIXED!!

Post by Andrew21 »

Hi all....

I noticed a whinning noise coming form the Timing Belt area since i bought my car (2nd hand) but never really thought to much about it... Gradually (over 6 months) it has gotten louder a little bit... I thought it might have been Alternator or Pwr Steering belt..

Took it past a Mechanic and they confirmed its not those belts but coming from the Timing Belt Area !!!

Now the Timing belt was changed at 98,000kms ( Car now has 132,000kms).. The previous owner got this done at a reputable workshop not me. I called the workshop and they said its not under warrently and advised they probably didnt change the Idle or Tensioner but ONLY THE BELT !!!

I can't believe the idiots didnt change the tensioner at the same time !!!!

My question is,

1. Will i cause any damage by driving around with the noisey idle/ tensioner ?
2. What will happen? Will the Tensioner snap ? Or just become really noisey?
2. Would i be loosing performance from this/ fuel eccomony?

My performance does seem abit down and im only getting 430kms to full tank on 98octane.
When idling, if i tap the accelerator very quickly there is a short studdering of the throttle... What could this mean?
Last edited by Andrew21 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Maybe the complete distribution kit was already changed at 60.000km as per user manual. And only the belt at 98.000km.
But the noise can be from water pump too. At 132.000km that looks not unusual.
Don't stay with this noise. It's often lots of $$ if something broke in this area.

Fuel performance: how do you drive? I try to be a cool driver (well you know, fuel price and age :( ) and get a 8.6L/100km with my 1.6L DOHC Nubira.

Daniel
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! get a new belt tencioner idler and water pump put on ASAP! if the tensioner/idler snaps, you will have to rebuild the head. your best bet is to get it fixed correctly befor there is any damage. i wouldnt trust it.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! get a new belt tencioner idler and water pump put on ASAP! if the tensioner/idler snaps, you will have to rebuild the head. your best bet is to get it fixed correctly befor there is any damage. i wouldnt trust it.
I agree with a big +1
As long as your doing it you might as well install a new timing belt too. That way you know all is well and you know what you have.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Shit not wat i was hoping to hear !!!

Its one of the most expensive things to change on a car too !!!

Around $300 AUD !!

I'll have to do it soon, i have to drive the car in the meatime though i have no other way to get around....

I dont think its the water pump because even at slight throttle the noise goes away....
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Andrew21 wrote:Shit not wat i was hoping to hear !!!

Its one of the most expensive things to change on a car too !!!

Around $300 AUD !!

I'll have to do it soon, i have to drive the car in the meatime though i have no other way to get around....

I dont think its the water pump because even at slight throttle the noise goes away....

Did the mechanic rule out the power steering pump and its fluid ? They can be noisy.

Its a fact if the timing-belt breaks the cost of having a shop repair the head damage and replace the belt/s (etc..) could easily top $2,000.00 USD
Just me but if I had noise coming from under the timing belt cover ? I would not start the car until it was resolved.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

It could just be a mis-aligned timing belt cover. My Optra 5 had a whining sound 1 month after me buying it new. It ended up being the timing belt rubbing on the inside of the cover because the cover was not on properly. I figured out this myself by pushing on the plastic timing cover in a few different places until I found where it was hitting. It will usually get louder when you find the spot. Give it a try before you go spending tons of cash. If you can't figure it out though, I would get it looked at quickly, because when that stuff goes, you'll be looking at thousand, not hundreds to fix.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Thanks for all the help and info guys...

I got quote for

*Tensioner Bearing
*Idler Bearing
*Waterpump
$130AUD ( Its not OEM but meets OEM Standards)

And i was quoted around $250AUD labour...

So total around $380AUD to get it all fixed up...

Do you guys think that is a good price?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

any idea what that converts to in usd?

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Its a little less than $320.

Thats a good price for all the work you're having done.
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

$380.00 AUD = $316.737 USD

Yeh i found a cheap place that gets aftermarket parts for the Daewoo cheap...
Original OEM Daewoo parts are just crazy expensive !!
I thought since i have to take the timing belt off i might aswell change the water pump aswell... Its only an extra $65 so i might aswell... I was also advised by someone that the noise could also be the Water pump and not the pulley's ?
Either way i'll be changing all of those things...

Just didnt expect it or have the $$$ at the moment to fix...Thats life though !!

Hopefully there wont be any other suprises in the near future apart from i know i have to change the Rocker cover gasket and also Spark plugs seals.. the car has 132,000 kms and although has had all major services done with log books...
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

:D best thing i like in Egypt, Daewoos are there on every street so spare parts are cheap comparing to any other country 8)
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Hahaha yeh you lucky barstard !!

We'll i think i'll look at doing it very soon... just waiting for abit more cash...

Just a question...

My car seems to be to not be going at its full potential... When you accelerate there is a big noticeable lag before VGIS engages, and when you stab the accelerator it isnt very responsive, there is a slight shudder....

I did a service changing

1. Oil + Filter
2. Spark plugs

And i know the Fuel filter was changed around 30,000kms ago..

Could this be a result from my worn timing belt tensioners? causing the belt to slip ?
Would the worn tensiors be affecting my performance ? or would they just be causing noise and risk ???
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

its a possability, if the belt is streached its throwing the timeing of the cams off causeing the performance to lack.

Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Hmmm... Interesting...

Well i dont know yet 100% if the belt is stretched...So far all i know is that the Idle pulley and Tensioner are making a LOW-MEDIUM whinning noise...