Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

Timing belt broke again and again and again!!!!!!!!!! Thats it guys. No more dumping my hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into this car.

I have just replaced the belt and pump ect. I will never buy a another Daewoo Lanos in my life!!!!!

No disrespect for you guys or your choice of car. As for me, i feel like i have been kicked in the nuts for the last time. I try to do good for my car and take care of her and she just doesnt take care of me.

I will be selling the car or parting it out if anybody is interested in the ENTIRE car. If somebody wants the entire car give me a reasonable price.
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--custom intake (short ram)
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--port and polished intake manifold
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
http://www.myspace.com/txhtownxt
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

sorry to here about your car same thing happened to me and I was wondering how much do you want for your eibach springs
2.0 engine swap in the works
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

how old was that timing belt??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Hey TxDAEWOOxT,

How many miles you put on your Daewoo ?
You have had to replace (how many?) timing belts.

I understand why your upset. Your blaming the car. Dude, it's just that car. Been bad luck for you and I am sorry you have had problems with it.
In general, most people have good stuff to say about the Daewoo. I recently met a guy that has over 200k on his original woo. Still going strong.
I think for every "bad woo" story ? there are at least a few hundred thousand "good woo" stories.

Maybe you just got a defective one ? A "lemon" ?
I wondered about the mods you have on it ?
But others have done stuff to their engines and I don't hear about problems with belts breaking.

With the exception of tinted windows, my Lanos hatch-back is totally factory stock. Bought it new in 2000. The only time I took it into the dealers for warrentee work was for noisy break pads and a headlight was shorting out at the bulb connection.
Oh, and a crankshaft sensor recall.

This car just keeps going. It still handles like it did back when it was new.
I neglected to change the T-belt at 60k and it finally broke at 102K !
So that was my bad not Daewoos fault.
I recent installed a new belt etc.. 5k later and its fine.

Personally ? The Lanos I have has been an excellent car. I am sure others will agree that for the money they are well built, reliable, durable cars.
Many people have paid twice as much for a car that has lasted less than half as long as most Daewoos do.
I hope you have better luck with your next car.

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

im sorry for u man, i had the same problem and i had to replace the 16 valves :? why dont u just change the whole engine to upgrade to another engine rather than changing the whole car?? it was just a suggestion and its all up to u of course
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

Greenblue i would like to get rid of the entire car as a whole.

MMamdouh that gates belt had 2k on it.

Spider i have 137k on the clock. This is the the 3rd time it has broke and it is the 4th belt i put on. The last belt was a maintenance, not a broken belt. I wouldnt call it a lemon its just a bad car. I have fell in love with the car and dont want to get rid of it. I have a family now and that is something i have to watch out for.

IT IS A MACHINE AND IT WILL BREAK!!!! It can also be fixed. I just cant dumping money into a car that i cannot depend on. I just did like $1200 bucks in maintenance on the car and for this to break was the kicker. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Mezomaster if i want to shell out more cash for a half ass car i am going to buy something else (another POS).
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Gates timing belt breaking after 2K... that doesn't smell right, i am sure their was a problem in the installation but anyways it is your decision.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

---------------------------------------------------
"I just did like $1200 bucks in maintenance on the car and for this to break was the kicker."
----------------------------------------------------

So, you paid someone to install t-belt, ect. $1,200.00 (usd) and it broke after 2k miles ?

:roll:
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

maybe one of the parts which the belt goes around it (cams or crank) got too sharp edges which makes the belt break :?
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If you did the belt yourself..... and you kept your reciept for your belt you might want to give Gates a call.

If someone else did it then they are responsible and should also go after Gates if it is indeed a situation of faulty manufacturing.

If you wanted to get it running..... the best way is with an 8V head.

The older 8V 1.6L was non-interfering....... so you can blow the belt.... spend $35 and an hour and it's back up and running just like new.

I'm not sure what would be involved in converting to an 8V 1.6L head but I would bet you could get one in decent shape for about $25 at your local scrap yard ( Pontiac Lemans )

Just a thought.....a non-running Lanos is probably only worth about $800 to $1500 depending on what you've got on there.... while a running one should fetch you twice that.

Another thought...... if you can find a head cheap it's possible that you might be able to get help from someone on this board to help you out.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

When you replace te timming belt. You replace the water pump, belts tensioners??? And adjust in the correct way the timming belt???
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
Man with no name
Junior

Post by Man with no name »

just make sure your next car does not have an interference engine. Having to replace an engine because a lousy belt breaks is just f'in ridiculous
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Wow guys!!

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

That is the most feedback i have got in a long time!

MMamdouh, i had a well trained mechanic do the install of the belt, tensioner, pump and pully. I dont think they would do something like that. If they did do something wrong it would have gone out as soon as i pulled out the lot( i assume). Ohhh yeah he did a clutch too.

Spider, i was tring to take care of my baby and do the proper maintenace. She just seems like every good step foward i take with her she sets me back two. I just cant handle my wife telling me the car broke down on her again anymore. I hate to say it but she was right on the this one. To answer your question, yes i paid good $$$ to have the car fixed right. I could have taken it to some shade tree mechanic and got it done for much less. I think i would have ended up in the same spot im in.

Mezomaster, when i did the belt ect. it had a split in the pully and i would have been in the same situation i am in now. I will pull it apart in a couple days after i stop crying and see what caused it.

Chris, i had my trusty mechanic do the work. GATES WILL BE RECIEVING A CALL FROM ME!!!! I have sent emails out already and no reply yet. I have thought about getting my head rebuilt and having a second car. I just cant spend that kinda $$$$ right now. I think if i sell the car somebody else will have a blast with it. You guys might pick up a new daewoofiend!! Doing that conversion will set me back farther than i am now. If you guys come across a head let me know i will have the car for a while. Or until it gets sold.

Jorge, i would trust my mechanic did a good job and it is the cars fault or the belt. It could be anything:(

Man with no name, trust me i dont ever want an interference motor ever again. I have a family and a good future to plan ahead for. Someday when i have some cash and a garage to work on my car at i will pick up another Daewoo. Right now it is not my time grasshopper!!

Thanks for all you guys help and for all the advice over the years but i think im done with the woo for now. It has been an awsome car and has turned many heads over the years. I have raced alot of cars and it has got me home every night after racing. I have really beat this car up over the last 6 years and it has taken everything i can throw at it. It is in the parking lot of my apartments with good rubber on it.

If you guy wanna do a group buy for parts just let me know. Somebody can have it picked up for cheap and take a sawzall to it for parts. If not, it is going on craigslist as a broken Lanos that needs a head and timing belt. best offer.

Thanks again guys for all the support and good advice.
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

If your situation happened to me, I'd react the same way, but I think your situation is "special". I have 2 Daewoos, and they've both been reliable to a T, the older Daewoo has 205000 miles, was beaten to crap, driven in the worst conditions, has hydrolocked and had a headgasket explode on me, and as of yesterday, I got it running like a top. Getting the whole thing from junkyard condition to daily driver cost me $100, if that. Every car nowadays is comparable in engine quality. Yes, some offer more refinement and the high end spectrum of materials (Honda, Toyota, Lexus, etc.), but basic maintenance goes a long way. I wouldn't blame it on 'Woos in general, you may have a lemon or an iffy mechanic.

I don't think you have much of a case with Gates. The best they'll offer is a new belt, but I assume its the last thing you want. There are too many outs for you, ie which vendor you got it from, how long it sat, was it crimped, and who installed it. And from personal, as well as my mechanic's experience, those belts are a pain to fit, and maybe during the course of your mechanics fitting some sharp object scratched the belt surface making a weak point. It may have even been too tightly tensioned.

But I do offer some good news. My best friends father is CIO of Gates. Meaning he's within the top 5 of the higher-ups in the Gates company. I'm going to visit them in Denver on the 19th, and I'll plead your case for you. So far, he's been VERY helpful to Gates, and pretty much what he says goes. He's already provided me 4 belts for my cars, and if I said a friend needed help, he shouldn't say no. I'm sure he can get Gates to fix the car so that you can sell it, making back what you spent. PM me your personal info so that he can contact you should something happen.

I'll try my best.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

Damn at the time I first did my timing belt there was over 90k on the clock and then some stupid driver hit me and totaled her at 112k. so much for the timing belt install.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE