Car died while driving & wont start.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

frplymstr

Car died while driving & wont start.

Post by frplymstr »

Hi Guys, I was driving the other day and everything was going fine. When I went to go around a corner, the engine died. I came to a halt & tried to start her up again, and after quite a bit of pumping on the excelorator the car strted just to die a few seconds later.
Now, I thought of fuel starvation, but when I disconnected the fuel injectors & gave it a hit, fuel went everywhere. I have attempted a compression test, but that came back inconclusive.
Since the engine has been rebuilt recently, the check engine light has been constantly on. I had only got around 50KM of driving before the above happened.
Any help at where to start would be great as I am a single Dad it it took me long enough to have the engine built. I have also worked a bit on cars so any work I can do myself would be great.
By the way, its a Cielo 97.

Cheers!!
john_trickle
Expert

Car Engine Dies While Driving

Post by john_trickle »

Few things to start with,

When your car is in use, several electronic components are used occasionally making this particular repair difficult. Your problem could be from your ignition switch to a fuel pump, about 35 different things can cause this condition. This list gives you a starting point to test for the most popular repairs.

Basic Tests

A. Test for DTS's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) For this you need a PCM Scanner this is a small hand held electronic device that plugs in to your cars OB2 (OBD11) diagnostic connector (under dash on left side, mostly). This device can tell you the trouble code that was stored in your cars Main PCM when you had the problem. (computer). And what system or sensor is malfunctioning. Look up your code in our Diagnostic Trouble Code Chart Use your Codes Scanner to clear codes when your repairs are complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B. Testing fuel pressure. Test for proper fuel pressure with gauge on fuel rail, most FI (Fuel Injected) cars run between 35 and 65 psi. If no or little fuel pressure and there is power present the fuel pump, the pump needs replacing, it is the number one auto part replaced in today's FI vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C. Test for weak ignition spark. Remove spark plug wire. Insert an extra spark plug into end of wire, attach spark plug to ground then crank engine. You should observe blue spark between spark plug gap. If a yellow spark is observed, your ignition coil is weak and needs to be replaced. If your spark is not consistent you may need a ignition module.

D. Inspect the Main PCM Relay. if the PCM relay fails it will shut down the engine management system. This relay carries high amperage and is prone to failure. To test install new relay then test drive.

E. Testing the ignition switch. This test requires a electronic test light. When vehicle dies test the power side (+) of your ignition coil with the key on it should light. If your test light is not lighting suspect your ignition switch or ignition relay.

Hope this helps

john
frplymstr

Post by frplymstr »

thanks for the reply and the advise. I give give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers!!!