Flatspot at 1500rpm & 4000rpm - Lanos 1.6ltrDOHC?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Andrew21

Flatspot at 1500rpm & 4000rpm - Lanos 1.6ltrDOHC?

Post by Andrew21 »

Hi guys,

Im new to the forum & to Daewoo's, had a quite a few cars in my time and now just wanted something reliable,good looking and has abit of go.

I have a 2000 Daewoo Lanos Sports 1.6l DOHC.
My first impressions of driving it was it handles really smooth and drives great, just it was lacking abit of power?
I notice that there is a flat spot in the rev range when i take off sometimes around the 1500rpm mark, then it picks up, then holds off a bit then picks up more around 4000rpm ? I mean i know its a stock car so i wasnt expecting it to be a monster but i want to smoothen out the rev range.
The next morning i found myself a old Pod filter i had lying around in the garage,so i unbolted the stock air box assembly & lucky enough it fitted straight in onto the stock piping. Went for a drive and it drove much better, revved alot harder & obviously louder...

My question to you guys is :

a: Is this flat spot normal on stock lanos's ( 1.6l DOHC ) ?
b: Does anyone have any tips/experinces to overcome these flat spots ?

So far the only modification done mechanically is the Pod filter, but i will be looking at getting a CAI setup soon.
And i cannot find a set of Extractors for them anywhere !! Custom will be very expensive :?

Also does anyone know the size of the stock exhaust piping ? Im sure that is quiet restrictive also?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Andrew
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if you want a CAI for your woo, get one for a 94+ integra gsr, you will have to cut one piece of it off but after that it works perfect, just be careful to not hydro-lock your engine if you go through any water.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

For the flat spot, check that the VGIS actuator is working.

At idle disconnect the black hose and check that the stem is released.
With hose in place check that the stem is released over 3500~4000pm.
On the road you must feel some kick in power over 4000rpm.

Daniel

Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Daniel wrote:For the flat spot, check that the VGIS actuator is working.

Daniel

Nice tip, Daniel !
This would be helpful under FAQ or How to & Mods too.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
43som

Post by 43som »

harking back to my twin cam I had a fault with the fuel pump which is would not rev far past 4 grand, it would just starv.
it is a miss or a hesitation(trying to but can't sort of deal)?
But the performance of the lanos 1.6 should be quite good. with exhuast and pod it would go like the clappers.
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Daniel - Thanks for the tip man, im pretty sure the VGIS is working..I dont 100% understand what you want me to do but i'll have a go on the weekand...

43som - Sounds interesting ? Maybe i have a similar problem ? Although my car revs fine no problem but there is a hudge flatspot under 2000rpm when taking off, then picks up to about 3500rpm then flat then pickups up again right up until redline...The flatspot around 3500rpm is not as noticeable but the one around 2000rpm definately is...

To be honest the car is not as quick as i thought it would be. Im not sure if thats because i came from a Honda Integra GSR or what.....

For instance, this flatspot i talk about under 2000rpm mark. If i dont rev it harder than 2500-3000rpm when going up my steep driveway it almost stalls !! just barley makes it up? Its like it gets clogged down low in the rev range??

My inital thoughts are :

* Fuel Filter clogged ?
* Stock exhaust too small - causing restrictions down low ?

Thats why i asked if anyone else experiences this problems so i could determine wether im just not used to the lack of power or something is actually wrong...
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Also
For the flat spot, check that the VGIS actuator is working.

Daniel
What do you mean exactly by "check the stem is released" ??
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

[/quote]

What do you mean exactly by "check the stem is released" ??[/quote]

That's the rod from VGIS actuator.

Video: http://rapidshare.com/files/31947010/IMG_0027.AVI.html .

Daniel
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Daniel - Thanks for the video mate you are a legend !!

I did the test and the actuator is working perfect..

My pod filter was old and dirty so i put the stock airbox back on till i buy a new pod, the car seems to run a little better..

Im looking at getting a 2" exhaust and a sports muffer ( something not loud but not restrictive) to give a bit better performance? And possibly some custom headers?

Does anybody know what size the stock exhaust piping is on the 1.6Ltr Lanos Sports ? Its looks decent size to me ?
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

Any1 ?

Also i think the car needs a serice because my fuel economy is not the best for a 1.6ltr.

I am getting 400kms from 50 ltr tank ? on Premium 98octane. Without using AirCon much ...

That doesnt sound right does it ?

Im going to change the :

1. Spark Plugs
2. Fuel Filter
3. Oil + Filter

See how that goes...

Im pretty sure the spark plugs come standard gapped at 1.1mm... But i read people recommend gapping down to 0.6-0.8mm?

Should i do this or just leave them as is ??

Your help appreciated.