cel after timing belt ?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lanos2go

cel after timing belt ?

Post by Lanos2go »

I have a 2001 lanos 1.6 4 door auto , that went in for a blown head gasket while there i had the timing belt,plugs,wires,air filter ,belts changed . since i got it back after driving for about 5 miles the cel would flash , it dosent seam to run bad , but when i turn off the engine then restart the light would be off after this happen about 5 times i took it back and they ran the scanner got a code of 1171 and then told me it was my fuel filter , does this sound right ? also it sucks down more gas then normal i went from about 270 miles a tank to 220
thanks
JohnnyC
Expert

Re: cel after timing belt ?

Post by JohnnyC »

Lanos2go wrote:I have a 2001 lanos 1.6 4 door auto , that went in for a blown head gasket while there i had the timing belt,plugs,wires,air filter ,belts changed . since i got it back after driving for about 5 miles the cel would flash , it dosent seam to run bad , but when i turn off the engine then restart the light would be off after this happen about 5 times i took it back and they ran the scanner got a code of 1171 and then told me it was my fuel filter , does this sound right ? also it sucks down more gas then normal i went from about 270 miles a tank to 220
thanks
After a timing belt change, mine started throwing a Cylinder 1 misfire code at speeds of around 70mph. Still runs great, but haven't solved the issue yet. If you end up finding out what is wrong with yours, let me know, maybe it has something to do with what is wrong with mine. I'll do the same as well, but somehow I doubt I will solve it.
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

My 2001 1.6 did the EXACT same thing, went from 270 to 220 mpg and had a misfire code. It was after I changed the timing belt / head / water pump. It turned out to be the crank sensor. The sensor sucks and will not throw a code until its pretty much dead. Until it does you will get a misfire code after about 10 minutes of driving usually.

Good news though, I traded my woo for an aveo. I had 100,000 miles on the woo and it started spewing coolant out the back of the motor so I used it for a trade in. It's funny, the aveo has a daewoo sticker on the timing belt cover.

edit-
Whoops I thought 1171 was a misfire code but its not, I think the 1171 has something to do with a lean condition. If the sensor (probably one of the sensors on the throttle body) is bad it may show lean and dump more gas. I would change the fuel filter first just to make sure.
Lanos2go

Post by Lanos2go »

Well the light would flash that means a mis fire right ? also the dealer told me that it had a code for an abs problem witch kinda puzzled me as it dosent have abs i dont think
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i get the same mis fire code after belt change.. i remember johnnyc talking about it way back when and his coil went out.. i have had the problem for about a year now but i havnt changed out hte plugs or wires or anything on the car except the head and timing belt when i first picked up the car.. still runs fine.. i get about 300 miles to the tank.