Snapped timing belt - Options?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

orangelmo

Snapped timing belt - Options?

Post by orangelmo »

Hey everyone, just found out the problem of my car not starting up - timing belt snapped. Now my woo is sitting it out in NY still waiting its fate. So what would you guys suggest? Get it fixed, swap engines or just get a new car? I don't really know exactly the extent of damage that has been done

How much would an engine cost anyways and if possible somewhere close to 10790 (Pomona, NY), any alternatives in the category?
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

I can't find any good prices on engines around that area, butI have asked how much it would be from my suzuki/woo dealer, and he said that it would be around an estimated $1,650-2,100 u.s.d. which if you love your woo very much, then take and get the parts and fix it. or you could with that same amount of money,buy a used engine, and take a chance that way. Or get you a different car, i see it as with all of these options, theres chances in it. And usually if you go with another engine, that maybe cheaper, it could in the future cost more than the other options..
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

what kind of car is it? i have a lanos with a 1.6 that im thinking about ripping the engine out of to put in a 2.0. if you are interested in mine PM me and we can talk

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

i've got an extra 2.2 from a rodeo. runs perfect, i would need to get $1200 out of it but i live in Colorado.

garrett
Spider
Expert

Re: Snapped timing belt - Options?

Post by Spider »

orangelmo wrote:Hey everyone, just found out the problem of my car not starting up - timing belt snapped. Now my woo is sitting it out in NY still waiting its fate. So what would you guys suggest? Get it fixed, swap engines or just get a new car? I don't really know exactly the extent of damage that has been done

How much would an engine cost anyways and if possible somewhere close to 10790 (Pomona, NY), any alternatives in the
category?

" I don't really know exactly the extent of damage that has been done"

If the belt broke while the engine was running ? The crankshaft pushed the pistons up to valves that were not where they were supposed to be.
Pistons than hit them, bent them, hurt them. That happened and maybe even more. :cry:

So, for sure you need head work done. When mine broke, the Daewoo dealer quoted me $2,400 (USD) for head repair (R&R)
You can probably get a good rebuilt engine from a reputable rebuilder for that price.

You are at a point where...............,
You may want to ask yourself; " Do I want to keep this car and if I do, how much am I willing to spend on it ?"

:)

P.S. Some very good 411 in this thread:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8378
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

i've also got a C20GET for sale.

garrett
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

When my 16v 1600's cam belt went bang, i spent around SAR5000 on new valves, machine shop and gaskets. thats only US$700

I saved myself money by whipping head off myself. was my first time with a multivalve head, as I am used to old OHV british motors from the Austin Mini Coopers. So it took a fair bit of figuring out but wasn't as bad as I thought.

Just remember to put new head bolts in, as they are stretch bolts ........ i didn't and the intake camshaft broke within 6000 miles and I had to whip head off again.

We live and learn.

Séan - South Africa
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

It's a 2000 1.6 Lanos SX. I guess at the point when it snapped it was running less than a minute. It wasn't too long after I started then shifted in reverse that the engine died after
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
mr_sikma

Post by mr_sikma »

how do you know when it breaks?

and when is it spose to be replaced to prevent it from braking? how many kms?
Girlfriend's...
2000 Daewoo Lanos 'Sports' 3-Door (Silver, 1.6ltr 5spd)

Me...
1980 Mitsubishi GH SE Sigma (SIKMA) 123.5kws @ wheels, 14.88 @ 92.58mph
2004.5 Holden XC Barina (CORSA)
2005 Bolwell 50cc scooter
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

mr_sikma wrote:how do you know when it breaks?
engine will die and you will not be able to start it again, don't try cranking it for forever till you make sure that the belt is ok or else the damage will be even bigger
and when is it spose to be replaced to prevent it from braking? how many kms?
50k miles is the recommended service interval.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267