Engine won't start but start the next day..

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wrscoob

Engine won't start but start the next day..

Post by wrscoob »

Hi, I'm new to the forums..This forums ROCK!!!!... I just recently bought 99 Daewoo Leganza with around 90K miles...
For the first few months it runs great!! untill lately I've been getting 3 issues that I can't not for the life of me figure it out.

1. Before the third problem start, the car would idle up and down like its about to dies when I come to a stop.
2. The car would just shut off on me while Im driving, it dies so smoot with out me evening noticing it, untill I look at the cluster and I saw all the lights on(CHL, Oil Light, Brake light etc).
Even with the issues above I still drove around and ignored it, because this only happen for a few days or so and it would go away.
3. Now this is freaky!!!!! Ok all of the sudden my car wouldn't start, it wouldn't even crank!!!! when i try to start it, i wouldn't even hear the starter tried to work, OK? there goes my starter so I left the car alone for like a day.. The next day I went back to start the car, one tried and it START!!!!!! with out a problem. WTH :?: So I guess its not my starter after all... Drive it for a while with no sign of problems ... come back home shut it off and it would start. So I guess everything is OK now, well when i went back to the car after an hour or so, it would not start again????????????????????????

Gosh!!!!! wth is the problem here... Please help guys!!!!!!

Thanks.
john_trickle
Expert

Basic causes

Post by john_trickle »

Hi and welcome to DAEWOOTECH here you will find a mulitude of question and answers on common problems that you are experianceing down below is a few things to check first.

Do you hear the cranking sound when you're trying to start your car?

- When you switch the ignition ON before starting a car, does the "check engine" light come ON?

- When you switch the ignition ON, do you hear fuel pump buzzing sound from the gas tank area?

Before your engine died, did you experience any prior events such as:

- leaving the lights ON overnight
- driving through a deep puddle, or washing the engine compartment?
- trying a jump start?
- having only a little fuel in a tank?
- having had the engine repaired recently?
- the engine was overheated?
- extremely low oil pressure?
- unusual noises such as knocking, pinging, whistling?
- smoking from exhaust pipe?
- strong smell of a gas?

Turn off the radio, try to crank the engine one more time, and listen carefully. Is the cranking sounds different than it used to be? If it's different, does it looks like the engine being cranked by the starter too slowly?
Is the engine being cranked too fast?
If you don't hear the cranking sound when you're trying to start your car, means that starter doesn't work - something could be wrong with the starter, starter wires, relay, or the battery is dead. Also check battery terminals, they could be corroded or loose.

When you switch the ignition ON before starting the car the "Check engine" light supposed to come ON indicating that engine computer is powered. If you won't see the "Check engine" light after switching the ignition ON, there is no power coming to the engine computer. It might be a broken wire or faulty relay, burnt fuse, etc.

On most newer vehicles with fuel injection, when you switch ignition ON the engine computer runs a fuel pump for a few seconds to pump initial gas pressure. You can hear it from the gas tank area - it's like a buzzing sound. It's not very loud and the gas pump works only for a second or two after switching the ignition ON, so you may need someone's assistance checking this. If there is no buzzing sound, something might be wrong with the fuel pump or its electrical circuit - bring your vehicle to the garage or a dealer
CAUTION: Never try to fix or replace a fuel pump by yourself, it's located in the gas tank, and the car can catch a fire if not following certain precautions. Bring your car to a repair shop

If you drove over a puddle, just before your vehicle died, the water could shorten the ignition wires.

CAUTION: Never touch the ignition wires, coil or distributor when ignition is ON or the engine is running; and be careful, engine is probably very hot!

Switch the ignition off, open the hood and check the spark plugs wires, distributor and spark plug caps. They shouldn't be wet.

If they are wet, turn the ignition off. With the ignition off, dry the ignition wires, distributor and spark plug caps with a clean rag or tissue. Now try to start engine with fully pressed accelerator pedal because your engine may be flooded with gas.

Make sure that you have fuel in the tank. It may be that your vehicle fuel gauge isn't working properly. (The first signs that there is too little fuel in the tank are occasional lugging, loss of power, and a louder, irregular sound of the electric fuel pump coming out from the fuel tank (for the injector engine)).

Low oil pressure warning light is ON while driving
Never proceed driving if the low oil pressure warning light is on while the engine is running. It's possible that engine ran out of the oil, or oil screen is clogged in the oil pan (clogged oil screen, for example, is common problem for poorly maintained VW Passat 1.8 turbo engines). Driving even few blocks with low oil pressure may cost you a new engine. Get your car towed in the repair shop

also check you fuel filter could be blocked theres a topic called how to section if you look there you will find alot of info let us know how you go.

JOHN
Daewoo Lanos 1.5L SOHC, TD04L @ 6psi
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

OK I'm basically experiencing similar symptoms. I drove down to my cousins in Rockland County, NY and tried to move my car yesterday. It started then died just before I could reverse out. Since then the engine doesn't want to start. For me, when I turn the ignition on it cranks kind of slowly. Battery looks good, I hear the fuel pump go on, there is gas in the car. Any ideas? I'm supposed to go home tormorrow (back to Toroto, Canada) and if anything I'm gonna have to bring it to a garage. If there's a more simple solution please let me know. Thanks. BTW its a 2000 1.6L Lanos hatch
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

orangelmo wrote: I'm supposed to go home tormorrow (back to Toroto, Canada)
A fellow Daewoo owner in Toronto? Wow especially in Markham, not far from me..... cool
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit