Hooking up neon ignition coils for msd dis-2

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Hooking up neon ignition coils for msd dis-2

Post by kinkyllama »

I'm going to have a shop install the MSD DIS-2 but I'd like to install the coil pack and wires before hand to save a couple bucks and see if there will be the slightest performance increase. It'd be nice to know if there would be a performance increase because it's cheaper to get an msd coil pack and wires for neon than just magnecore wires for the forenza. I know there is at least one member with this setup, I think it's woohoo but I couldn’t find any info really. For those that don’t know you need an ignition coil from a dodge neon to hook up the MSD DIS-2 to our cars.

Thanks for the help guys,
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

chris or tom is gonna be your best bet on getting help on this since theyr'e the ones that figured this mod out.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

lanos2001 wrote:chris or tom is gonna be your best bet on getting help on this since theyr'e the ones that figured this mod out.

nick
I know Chris knows... but I was hoping to get a faster reply here, I'd like to get it done in a few hours otherwise I'll put it off till tomorrow if I have time. Toms at work otherwise I'd just call him, since I need to call him anyways.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

so did you get the chip or whatever they made to make the change compatible? and yeah tom's your only solution then since no one else has experience with it.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
aveosam
Junior

Post by aveosam »

1 quick question about this...is it the stock neon ignition coil? and if so would you be able to use an ignition coil for an eclipse gs
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You have to have the MSD DIS-2 hooked up to that driver circuit I made and then onto the Neon Coil pack.

The big issue is that your Forenza has a very strange setup (like all Daewoos) the "driver" that fires the Coil is inside the coil pack.

This is different than most other cars.

They either have the Driver integrated into the ECU or they have a separate "driver box"

If you hook up to the Neon coil pack absolutely nothing will happen and odds are you will damage your ECU

The ECU in your Forenza is giving off a low power "signal" ..... which goes to the driver inside your Forenza coil pack....which in turn fires the coils.

Basicly my "driver board" takes the signal from the ECU and simulates the action of a coil driver hammering the coil to ground.

This is the signal the MSD systems look for.

Could you run the ECU signal to my "driver board" and then use it to fire some neon coil packs?????? Probably... but the circuit was designed to interface to an MSD ignition system not to fire coils.

It might work just fine.... I don't know... I never tried it.

Oh........... to make everyones life easier...... there is a real external "coil driver" for DIS systems.... I can't remember if it was installed on a Mitsubishi or a Honda of a particular year... I will have to dig the info out again.

So.... the good news is that you can simply purchase this part and it will do exactly what my "driver board" does..... and since it's a real coil driver.... you can also use it to trigger aftermarket coils like those of the Neon.

Sorry I can't remember the model of car....... I found it when digging through electrical schematics for Tom's install of his Greddy E-Manage & Profec as Greddy only gives instructions for Japanese cars such as Mitsubishi and Honda.

I haven't looked up the price yet.... but they probably aren't exactly cheap.... I will post the info when I get everything figured out.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos