No ECOTEC. Then, what about a 600hp 2.0 Opel Corsa engine?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sorry to say this but have you been reading any of the 2.0L turbo swap posts????

This is the engine we have been talking about all along.

The engine in the Corsa is the european C20LET which is the 2.0L 16V turbo cousin to our North American C20GET (2.0L 8V Turbo).

Basicly it's a massaged C20LET with low compresion pistons running at 21 psi of boost

By the way..... Nice video of the Corsa
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Yeah, I have been engaged with other things and I have not had a Daewoo because Daewoo simply is not big in Japan and I had access to a lot of sports cars not available here. I still like the look fo the Lanos with the 600R body kit.

I remember looking for a damn long time about sourcing a European engine to ship to the US. Has this changed and become easier or are people still interested with no access? If so, things still suck as before. No real engine with potential and no LSD.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

First off the North American 2.0L 8V turbo can be converted into the European 2.0L 16V turbo by simply changing out a few expensive parts ( head,pistons,timing belt, timing belt tensioner)

Second of all the Daewoo's use replicas of the European Getrag's so there are plenty of LSD's available.

The Lanos uses a D16 5spd which is the same as an F16 (which can also be found here in the Pontaic Lemans/optima)

The Nubira uses a D20 5spd which is the same as an F20 tranny found in a number of European vehicles.

Both trannsmissons can use Quaife LSD's..... you will find the post about the LSD's in the transmission section of this forum.

Where are you from??
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Where are you from??

Geographically? Well, I grew up most of my life in a small town in Tennessee. Moved the Japan for a year and a half, was forced to move back to take care of a some things and I plan on returning in July.

Message boards? Shark Racing and then Hyundaiaftermarket. I remember when this place first started and looked much different.

I was really into the Lanos prior to late 2002 when I moved to Japan. I remember that a lot of people talked about the Nubira 2.0 swap but I don't recall if anyone actually did it. I also recall looking for a supplier of European engines and found nothing, especially when compared to what you can source from Japan. I also recall talk about the new GM ECOTEC engine, but you said that people have investigated it but its a no go.

However, I just wonder how feasible it would be to use an ECOTEC if you bought a front clip and swapped out the engine-tranny-axles-ECU. This is what is done all the time with an SR20 swap into a US 240SX (minus the axles). Since I have not been in the US and keeping up, I don't even know if someone has investigated this possibility.

I know I looked into sourcing Impreza running gear and making the Lanos AWD. Got laughed at in many WRX boards for even thinking such a thing. But, you don't know things if you don't ask. Hell, I just wonder if its possible to swap in a Mazda 323 GTX AWD system without it requiring too much custom fabrication.

You see, I am an eccentric and I freely admit this. I love everything from a Ford Festiva to a Nissan Skyline GTR (I miss my R32 Skyline - not a GTR though). I recall eing a fan of the Lanos when it wasn't cool to like anything but Honda Civics. But, I still don't care. I came back since I was wondering what, if anything, has been happening especially considering how GM screwed Daewoo USA and many Daewoo customers. Nice to see there are possibilities out there and I have serached for Lanos prices and I have found some really really cheap. To me, it has the best styling, and with some engine tuning/swapping, it can make for one hell of a fun little car here in the US.

So, I may ask some questions that have been covered many times before but please be patient. I have been out of the loop for some time and your posts have been informative.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Any engine swap is possible with enough money.

I looked into the AWD thing as well since the Getrag F28 6spd mates up to the 2.0L turbo and it's a 4X4 setup in it's stock form ( used on Calibra )

Unfortunatly I don't think it will work due to the way the suspension is setup unless you did some serious modifications to the rear end.

My next thought was of two engines..... who needs AWD when you can have two separate drive systems!!

I was thinking of throwing in a Yamaha R1 Motorcyle engine with a computer controlled shifter mechanism.

If you overlapped the engines so that the rear engine gear changes didn't overlap your front engine gear changes your car would be much quicker since one engine will be producing power while the other shifts.

I just thought a motorcycle engine in the rear end would be a very unique setup.

There are also some cars which use a single electric drive motor at each wheel..... so why not have four Yamaha R1 engines... one on each tire :shock:

Everything is possible but it all depends on how deep your pockets are.
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Nice to see that I am not the only eccentric here! I was just musing about the AWD swap thing. Maybe even using a Mitsubishi GSX system. amking custom mounts and rear suspension mounting plates wouldn't be that hard where I live now. But, you are right about cost being an issue.

I don't know about a twin engine setup. You'll lose a lot of daily drivability with that. :wink: But, I like the motorcycle idea. I want to swap a Hayabusa engine into a Suzuki Cappuccino one day. That'll be a blast.

I don't know if I'll have to stay in the US or not. I'm looking at possibilities back in Japan and I really want to go back. I still have an interest in the Lanos though. Its the first car I really ever got emotionally into.

You know, if going AWD, I would imagine that a Mazda GTX would offer the best possibility of ease and cost. But, there is the Isuzu Impulse AWD that is GM related to the Daewoo to consider as well. I'm just an AWD junkie now after my R32 Skyline GTS4 was AWD and its amazing what you can do with AWD.

If I were to stick with FWS, I still wonder if getting a front clip from a wrecked Cavalier is a way to go. You said otherwise, a lot of custom fabrication would be necessary, but maybe....maybe having an entire front clip would help take care of that?????

Anyway, I think its fun to muse about what can be done. Growing up in a town with seven salvage yards, I have access to just about anything and this dreamy attitude was common with a lot of boys while growing up. Of course, I'm the only Lanos fan that I ever met.
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

that car sounds so Nice, Dam thats wut i wanted my Woo to sound like when i put an exhaust on it, wuts 1.4Bar boost, how many PSI is that? how fast is 270Kph?, and it says it tantilizes motorcyles?, sorry motorcycles do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds, sorry to burst ur bubble, i was side by side with a motorcycle, probably a Harley Vrod and it Smoked me off the line, so answers?? IS THAT A 2.0ENGINE PUSHING 600HP??
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

1.4 Bar = 21psi

270kph=170mph

and with 600hp the car will do 3 seconds or less 0-60mph (if you are running drag slicks on a drag strip)
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

wuts 1.8 bar then?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

1 bar =14.7 psi

so 1.8 bar of boost is converted by multiplying 14.7 X 1.8 = 26.46 psi boost
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Been looking into an Isuzu Impulse RS AWD and I just wonder.......... Never seen on in person though.