Chiptuning for Nubira II - 1.6 engine ?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

dinoc
Junior

Chiptuning for Nubira II - 1.6 engine ?

Post by dinoc »

Hi everyone,

I want to know if this engine 1.6L from Nubira 2 is suitable for a chiptuning (ECU modifiable for more hp) ?
There is a tuning company here and they are using UPSOLUTE (www.upsolute.com) chiptunig and they think I can get after chiptuning something like 9 hp and 15 NM torque.

But some other people are skeptic about this, they are saying that this engine has a variable admision geometry and because of this they believe this is not suitable for a chiptuning ... tough they never tried before.

I would like to know your opinion about this, too ... waht do you think ?

Many thanks,
Dinu
Currently : Chevy Kalos, Acura TSX '07
Sold Nubira 2 : pics and mods here
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I don't think it's worth the risk to your engine.
dinoc
Junior

Post by dinoc »

What will be the risk ? Over here the chiptuning is very popular especialy on those turbo diesel engines (they gain like 30-40 % more hp).
As I know the petrol (non-turbo) can get no more that 10% hp.
So I'm wondering if I can do it or not and what will be the risks ?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I don't know if you can do it or not. I do know that messing with the ECU in general is a risky proposition. I suppose if these guys offer you some kind of replacement ECU garauntee or something, then you wouldn't have to worry too much. However... if they don't and they screw up your ECU, what will you do?

I'm all for modding our cars... I'm all for upping the horsepower if it doesn't put excessive wear on our engines. Thing is... Even after reading the info on their site, I would choose not to trust them to reprogram my ECU.

Do what you will... I'm just saying if it was me, I would find another way to get some extra performance out of my Woo.
dinoc
Junior

Post by dinoc »

I see ... thanks Johnny ... i guess the best choice it will be to go turbo ?

Can someone sugest me what will be the best turbo for this engine ?
How much (approximately) power will I get with a turbo and what will be the costs to acomplish this ?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you can find the answers to most of your questions in the forced induction section.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mister_g
Junior

Post by mister_g »

On 1.6 NA engine and with 78KW, you will gain maybe up to 5KW! It's not worth trying!

Turbo diesel is a turbo engine, like any other turbo engine, that have limited power for endurance... Every turbo engine, can give you up to 50% more power with changing turbo boost and turbo parameters...

c20let 2.0 16V TB engine from opel calibra 4x4 is 200HP engine... It goes up to 300HP with ECU modification... It can go up to 500HP with bigger IC and Turbo... My friend have this puppy... With 110HP on every wheel... ;)
mr_g, Crazy scientist
SMS Commander Car Alarm System
LaNOS Sport 2.0 16V 136WHP, c20xe inside
http://www.daewoo-hr.com
dinoc
Junior

Post by dinoc »

well in my case ... i have no ideea how to do a turbo setup like this, I know no one here which did this in a daewoo car to help me on this ... I'm willing to learn, but I'm also thinking to costs ... I'm not sure how much costs a turbo setup (not to mention an engine swap) - maybe (in my case) it might worth selling this car and just buy a second hand more powerfull car (i.e. BMW) ...
zingy

best suggestion

Post by zingy »

I reacon it is not feasable to mess with the ecu u can gain better more hp by putting header ,exhaust, sports muffler and ram cold air intake rather then messing with engine management system.
Modifications So far

* 4-2-1 Header custom made
* 2.5 Inch echaust pipe
* straight through muffler
* 8mm spark plug wires
* platinium plugs
* Synthetic oil
mister_g
Junior

Post by mister_g »

Best and cheapest way to gain real HP is to change engine... Lanos is the best car for this becase it is kadet E (astra mk2) under the hood...

For 400EU you can buy c20xe from opel kadett gsi 16v. For 1000EU you can strip the engine appart and repair it as it was brand new... For another 200EU you can swap it...

It's bolt on swap... So you will get 150HP and 200Nm stock, under the hood... Inlet, powercap, exhaust, and booom. You got 180HP and 240Nm under the hood....

It would break chasy, before it breaks...

For 1600EU you got little rocket! For another 500EU it's something that would bang in the ass all other compacts you can found on your local roads... You would be a king with a brand (daewoo) that everybody laughs at! F* BMW. F* VW. F* them all...

After drag race on traffic light, you will get some respect!
mr_g, Crazy scientist
SMS Commander Car Alarm System
LaNOS Sport 2.0 16V 136WHP, c20xe inside
http://www.daewoo-hr.com
dinoc
Junior

Post by dinoc »

well mister_g ... I admit, your argument is solid ! thank you for the encouragement !
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

he is right

bigger engine swap and simple bolt on

even better would be turbocharge the bigger engine

and that is in my plans

i am so glad of my swap that was for 3hp and 12 tq gains :lol:

think about your cars that came with 105hp put in there a engine with 128hp, 131hp or a 150hp

back to topic

OBDII ECU restrict a lot of hp from the cars

from simple bolt ons you can gain hp reflashing the ECU

doing more mods to the engine will give more HP with the reflash.remap of the ECU
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
kan

Post by kan »

Chiptunnig is good solution but only if you have turbo boost engines. In case of normally aspirated engines it doesn't make sense because it is impossible to increase a dose of fuel without increasing of air flow thus you cannot increase engine power significantly. In case of turbo situation is completley different , you can control air flow as you want.
Regards
kan,
Polonez Caro Plus 1.6 GLI + LPG
Daewoo Nubira 2.0 CDX combi + LPG
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

I think chiptuning isnt harmfull for any engines. the worest thing you will see is not to get more power or engine halt. you can do that and if you find that not suitable for your car you can get it back as it is. I think the co give you a warranty about the work they will do.
and you will get your money back if the bad things happend