Brand new engine?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Brand new engine?

Post by JohnnyC »

I hear a lot about engine swaps out of other cars, but I'm wondering about new engines? Are there any brand new engines that can be purchased for a Lanos (that would be an upgrade from the 1.6)?

Keep in mind that I'm not really serious about buying one right now. Just something I am thinking about.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

yes. they are very expensive... but yes
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Not as expensive as you might think..... there are newer 1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L engines available.... but it's far cheaper to get a low mileage Aveo or Forenza motor for cheap.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

yeah, i meant expensive in relation :D

find a catera and make your woo rwd :o
wOo-TaNg
Super

Post by wOo-TaNg »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:Not as expensive as you might think..... there are newer 1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L engines available.... but it's far cheaper to get a low mileage Aveo or Forenza motor for cheap.
i never thought about those....i add a more powerful engine then i spray it nitrous
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Not as expensive as you might think..... there are newer 1.6L, 1.8L, 2.0L engines available.... but it's far cheaper to get a low mileage Aveo or Forenza motor for cheap.
Anyone know how cheap? Specifically for the U20SED in the Optra/Forenza. Curious in case I kill my current motor with too much boost. Preferrably one with under 40K kms on it.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

exist3nce wrote:
Anyone know how cheap? Specifically for the U20SED in the Optra/Forenza. Curious in case I kill my current motor with too much boost. Preferrably one with under 40K kms on it.
Look on ebay. I think they are in the 1500usd range for one with under 10k miles. Although a few months ago Chris picked one up for I think half that.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

does the optra/forenza share the same body type as the lanos, or would there have to be some heavy modification on the engine mounts to make things work with a lanos?
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
wOo-TaNg
Super

Post by wOo-TaNg »

i think the engine is very similar which will mostly likely leaving you to work with fitting the much larger size
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well if its anything like putting a nubira 2.0l into a lanos i believe you'll just have to add a motor mount by where the intake filter box is. and of course other little things but i think thats your only issue with fitting it in there physically.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
mister_g
Junior

Post by mister_g »

If you use 2.0 from nubira, witch is bad choice, you have to find engine mount for astra mk2 2.0 engine, and bolt on nubira engine on that mount... Than you have to relocate power steering pump, or use electrical power steering pump from astra mk4 in case you have A/C compressor...

Much better choice would be engine c20xe 2.0 16V from astra mk2... It's 110+KW engine, and goes to 7500rpm... While nubi 2.0 engine has less then 100kw...

Engine bay in lanos is exactly the same like in astra mk2. So anything that goes in astra mk2 (kaddet E), you can put inside lanos... ;)

BTW, project c20xe inside lanos is in progress. Engine is disassembled, and general repair is in place... In a few monts, it would be inside my lanos... Without a single relocation of mounts or anything! Right bolt on engine in lanos... ;) Bolton on my gearbox, and mine engine mount bay... ;)
mr_g, Crazy scientist
SMS Commander Car Alarm System
LaNOS Sport 2.0 16V 136WHP, c20xe inside
http://www.daewoo-hr.com
dinoc
Junior

Post by dinoc »

mister_g, how about an engine swap for a Nubira II 1.6L - what will be the best engine choice and best fitment (without too much trouble and alteration ) ?
Currently : Chevy Kalos, Acura TSX '07
Sold Nubira 2 : pics and mods here
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the nubi engine got the front engine mount issue... it will require some cutomization to the engine bay to fit it.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
dinoc
Junior

Post by dinoc »

how about the 2.0 Leganza engine or 2.0 Nubira II engine - will this be easy to replace the 1.6L one (of Nubira) ?
Currently : Chevy Kalos, Acura TSX '07
Sold Nubira 2 : pics and mods here
wOo-TaNg
Super

Post by wOo-TaNg »

i think its easier to get our hands on a nubi engine here in the states