Need help with SAFC II

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Brian5475E
Expert

Need help with SAFC II

Post by Brian5475E »

Ok I finally hooked up my SAFCII. I just need some help from guys who have already installed it. on the MAP setting for in/out what setting did you use?
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm on 01 IN and 01 Out and the car work fine.... dyno tested a dozen times with wideband and the A/F is perfect
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

So did you do any tuning with it? fi so what settings do you have it at?
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

We played with it, but the most gain we got was 0.75hp, and about 2lbs lost torque...so in Optra there are no gains on stock motor. The reason it was installed is for the turbo setup.

I am sure Chris will see this, jump in, and add his comments

Tom

Post by mocpac »

hmmm Beto have one installed in his 2003 nubira. Aparently there was no gain with it,
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The stock ECU is pretty decent.... I didn't adjust a thing.... the main reason for installing it was for when I throw on a turbo.

I really didn't expect much in the way of gains.... but I was surprized that we made absolutely no power when adjustments were made.

The ECU simply compensated for any increase or decrease in MAP signal and kept the A/F perfectly smooth.... I think it sat around 14:1... can't remember.

Like I said before..... it's more for monitoring stuff than anything at this point.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

thats how most OBDII ecu are, you can do what ever you want but it will correct it self to have the pre-set a/f. thats why i went with the smt 6, it can alter the a/f reading and adjust timing signals. and i think most a/f ratios are 14.1 or 14.7 they look alike.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
Nubira2.2
Expert

Post by Nubira2.2 »

That Perfect Power SMT6 apears to be the perfect piggyback

The most important feature is that it controls ignition and fuel

Which were your HP and TQ gains?

Thanks for the feedback
Mitsubishi Eclipse GST 304whp 319tq @22psi w EVO 3 16G Daily Driven
DAEWOO Nubira 2.2L Turbo 217whp 204tq @13psi SOLD
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

chronoti wrote:thats how most OBDII ecu are, you can do what ever you want but it will correct it self to have the pre-set a/f. thats why i went with the smt 6, it can alter the a/f reading and adjust timing signals. and i think most a/f ratios are 14.1 or 14.7 they look alike.
I had a couple of SMT6's on order before Christmas.... but my supplier let me down so I have to order them through someone else.

One thing about the SAFC systems is that it changes ignition timing slightly because it's modifying MAP readings... so you want to use it with caution... when it comes down to it the main purpose of the SAFC systems is for fine tuning naturally aspirated engines that have been turbo or supercharged.

Normally you let the ECU run the stock maps up to atmospheric (zero psi boost ) and then that is when a RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) and SAFC II kick in.

You block the stock map from seeing boost and you add your "rough" fuel amounts via the RRFPR..... then you use the SAFC II to smooth out the air/fuel curve and get a perfect air/fuel ratio.... which is usually around 12:1 for a turbo engine.

So a SAFCII is somewhat useless for a Naturally Aspirated vehicle unless you plan on using it for monitoring real time information such as MAP signal and throttle position signal (can be monitored as percentages or the raw voltage )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos