Car won't start......Coil pack?????

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Edman

Car won't start......Coil pack?????

Post by Edman »

So I torqued down my cylinder head bolts to the right specs. They were too loose before and I got water mixed with my oil.

The last problem code my computer got was miss fire on cylinder 4. I pulled all the wires and checked them and now have figured my cylinder firing order 1-3-4-2.

I think my coil pack is going out. Is this common. I think my car was running on only 3 cylinders....

When I would revv the car in "park" after half throttle, it would cut in and out.... It would still drive OK. Now the car sounds like it kinda wants to start, but won't. I think the coil for cylinder 1 and 4 is dead.......

Or could it be some of the water that got into the oil is preventing it from starting? Any ideas?

Edman
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

If you were burning coolant due to leaking headgasket, chances are your plugs are covered with this greeny residue. Inspect and replace. Also, double check the crank sensor.

Tom

Post by MMamdouh »

are you sure you placed the wires in the correct order?
check your spark plugs for deposits or rust.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Amr Lanos

Re: Car won't start......Coil pack?????

Post by Amr Lanos »

Edman wrote:So I torqued down my cylinder head bolts to the right specs. They were too loose before and I got water mixed with my oil.

The last problem code my computer got was miss fire on cylinder 4. I pulled all the wires and checked them and now have figured my cylinder firing order 1-3-4-2.

I think my coil pack is going out. Is this common. I think my car was running on only 3 cylinders....

When I would revv the car in "park" after half throttle, it would cut in and out.... It would still drive OK. Now the car sounds like it kinda wants to start, but won't. I think the coil for cylinder 1 and 4 is dead.......

Or could it be some of the water that got into the oil is preventing it from starting? Any ideas?

Edman
It'll be the coil.. you can cheak it by removing each cable and put a screw between it and the spark if you find an electric sign so it work fine and if not it doesn't..and also you find if it bad... its temp. is too high
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no need to use a screw driver... the sparks are too strong that they will jump way far to the nearest conductive object.

on my 1.5 SOHC the sparks jump off the coil socket, make a U turn and hit the engine head :shock:... whenever you attempt such test wear thick rubber gloves to avoid getting electricuted.

MMamdouh
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I have a coil pack if ya need one...
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Edman

I figured out the problem!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Edman »

I'm over thinking simple stuff!!!!!!

The coil pack has numbers on it, which refer to the cylinders! I thought it meant the firing order, thinking as if I was looking at it straight. Left to right 1-3-4-2, that was wrong! it's as simple as 1-2-3--4.

I drove the car and everything seems ok, except when it's in park! It revvs fine half way down, then the last half it cuts back and forth. Before the car computer I had said it was miss firing on the 4th cylinder. I reset the computer and nothing comes back up, no engine light nothing!. But it acts the same........ It' my last problem! Oh and I still have to flush my motor one more time.
Edman

When the car computer comes up p0304, does it mean..........

Post by Edman »

Does it mean the cylinder #4 from 1-2-3-4.

OR

Does it mean cylinder #4 from 1-3-4-2

I'm trying to isolate strange revving issue......... Check my other posts to get the low down....

Edman
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

refer to this article for correct cable assignment as well as correct cylender numbering.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2634

MMamdouh