swapping from a sohc to a dohc in a corsa

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ksb

swapping from a sohc to a dohc in a corsa

Post by ksb »

hey guys, im new here and i have a big question that here in my country i can never find an answer for!!!
ive got a chevy corsa, which is the same opel corsa 1.4 bought it brand new , and i want to find a dohc head for my engine, the name of my engine is c14 ne sohc, ive just been informed today that possibly a daewoo head will work, what im looking for is not to change a lot of stuff because of money issues, my car as it is comes with 84 hps to the flywheel, im going to turbocharge that engine, but before that i really need that cam head, i anyone has any info on what will work in my case id appreciate it a lot, i will be posting pics of my car soon.
thanks
ksb
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Are you looking for a new part, or used one? Also, a photo and some info on your current engine would be good. Does it use distributor, or is it Direct Ignition (DIS)?

Keep in mind you would need at least the following:

- complete cylinder head
- DOHC timing set, possibly waterpump and crankgear
- complete intake manifold
- exhaust manifold...or just go turbo :)

Tom

Post by MMamdouh »

well... you can always stroak that engine to be 1.5... just get the crank shaft and rods of a 1.5 and swap yours, replace injectors as well if the 1.4 and 1.5 got different rates.

i am thinking of that head swap as well for my 1.5 SOHC... you will need the parts Tom listed but i don't think you need the water pump or the crank gear... you will need the VGIS penumatic control device though.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
ksb

thanks for the info

Post by ksb »

i will post pics of my engine, but i cant find the damn cable to connect my camera to the pc!!
the problem is that i live in bogota, thats 2600 meters above sea level which is 8500 feet above sea level, an at this height any engine has a lot of trouble breathing, i dont know exactly what is the percentage of hp loss per every thousand feet, but putting it this way"here in bogota when i run the quarter mile it goes 18.7 seconds which is not bad here considering i kill almost all the other corsas with same mods as me. when i go to sea level ive had times of 16.2"
so what i mean is that the dohc head will do wonders for me at this height, but again if it will be to complicated and expensive, i wont be able to do it, and go only for the turbo.
heres a list of my mods:
4 to 1 headers
4 diodes platinum tip sparkplugs
8.8 sparkplug wires
aluminum intake
ractive conic air filter with carbon fiber housing
adjustable pinion for the cam
15 inch alloy wheels
drop zone coil overs
autometer shift light
opel spoiler
peugeot 206 side skirts
nexia182
Expert

Post by nexia182 »

ok if its possible to swap the sohc cam for the dohc cam, what happens with the ecu????? its necesary to buy an afermarket ecu or what????
DAEWOO NEXIA Turbo
1/4 Mille---> 12.9@2.600m OVER SEA LEVEL
OPEL POWER
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

we are not talking about cams... we are talking about the whole head.

so far i have seen this swap without ECU mofifications... hell we swapped a 2.0 into a 1.6 nubura and we are still using the OEM ECU... only thing i am worried about is the VGIS controls when i swap the head.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267