2.2l oil in water &water in oil solution

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jcutsh

2.2l oil in water &water in oil solution

Post by jcutsh »

I have noticed several threads on the board concerning a water and oil problem. The same thing happened to my 2000 Leg.

Here is the solution.

Behind the water pump you will find an oil galley plug. For some reason this plug will totally rust away.

GOOD NEWS!!! I found the problem. Behind the water pump is an oil galley plug that gets ate up by the antifreeze. Believe it or not, Daewoo still has some sort of technical department left even after going under. I emailed them and they were really helpful. Now even though I knew the problem, I still struggled with how to fix it because Daewoo said that the only way they knew to fix the problem was to replace the short block. The problem is that the old oil galley plug has to come out without getting anything into the galley (metal shavings, etc.) But I think I got it fixed. Here's how:
First remove the water pump (yes, the timing belt has to come back off.) Then remove the oil filter if you haven't already. You will see the corroded plug back behind the water pump. On mine, I struggled to clarify that what I was looking at was an oil galley plug because it was so smooth, but don't worry it is the only possible thing behind the water pump that could be an oil galley plug. Now here is the tricky part. On the car I was repairing, I got lucky because I was able to knock the old plug into the block and then with a pair of needle nose pliers, grab hold of it and rip it out. But before you do anything of the sort, get a helper with a blow gun and have them blow a steady stream of air into the oil filter base plate (the center hole.) This will keep anything that gets loose to shoot back out at you while you work and to keep it from going into the galley. If you don't have the same luck that I did with knocking the plug out then I theorize that it could be drilled. You will have to loosen the engine mounts and drop the engine down a bit. I would put grease on my drill bit though to help catch any fine shavings. Get real sharp drill bits and use a variable speed drill turning the bit real slow to keep the bits from flying all over the place. Now to be honest I don't know if the compressed air idea would be good or not when drilling. The air may pick up a loose chip and send it soaring into the oil galley. I'll let you decide that. If I remember right I think the oil galley plug was 1/4" pipe. I know for sure that it was not metric pipe which surprised me. I ran a pipe tap through the hole to clean up the threads a bit. The antifreeze had ate up some of the threads in the block, but I used a new plug with a Permatex thread sealant (Pn# 56521 for a big tube or or 25117 for a small tube.) see: http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp ... m_no=56521 I have always been under the understanding that you shouldn't use plain teflon for petroleum applications and this stuff specifically says "for oil galley plugs." Anyway, after I installed the new plug I noticed that the threads did not come all the way to the outer edge of the block (it was manufactured that way.) So as an extra precaution, I found a small knock-in freeze plug from my local auto parts house and knocked it in right over the galley plug. One more tid bit of info that you may find helpful is that the passage behind the oil galley plug does not immediatly drop off to a 90 degrees. The passage extended back about an inch or so before shooting straight up and down. I think this helpful so that if you knock the plug back like I did, then you don't have to worry about it falling into the block if you don't knock it back too far. Also, if you haven't replaced the timing belt, idlers, and tensioners, then you should consider it. These engines also had real problems there. If I remember right, mine only had about 80,000 miles and was about to go

This fix was provided by se1501 at car-forums.com

I would suggest replaceing the plug with stainless steel.
Yes this was a 1/4 in pipe plug eaten away to the size of a dime.

Hope this helps someone. So far I know of three woo's with this problem.

John
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

try what people have been doing on engines for years with freeze plugs. use a magnetic drill bit(catches any shavings) a real small one. and use a sheet metal screw and pull with pliers or use a slide hammer.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
jcutsh

Post by jcutsh »

This is not a freeze plug. It is a 1/4 inch pipe tap plug. with theads, appx 3/4 inch long screwed into a hole about 1 1/2 deep. It has a hex head in it's top. This plug has been desolved and reduced to the size of a dime. It is made of chrome plated iron.

This plug should be checked on all engines when you change your TB. The problem is just as serious as your tb. It will destroy you engine. It provide a direct path between the oil pump and the water pump.

If you see oil in your water Reservoir Check this plug, before you pull your head. This plug has probably caused more engine damage than timing belts.

John