Timing belt change together with coolant pump?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

genie47
Junior

Timing belt change together with coolant pump?

Post by genie47 »

OK, my tiny 1.4L DOHC engine is nearing 60,000km and this is the mileage that needs the timing belt to change.

Should this opportunity be used to change the coolant pump? I mean this car is bought brand new. Anyway, how long do coolant pumps last? People have been harping on coolant pump replacement together with the timing belt replacement.

I know they do have this weep hole that leaks coolant when they are close to the end of their service life. Any coolant found under the car will mean it needs to be replaced.

Seems like a waste to replace a good working coolant pump.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you got that right man... i am closing on 80,000 kms on my 1.5 SOHC Lanos and the second timing belt change is near by.

my mechanic suggested that i should check the pump first before buying new one... if the one i have doesn't leak then their is no need to replace it at all.

it is only prefferable to do that as the amount of work used to replace just the pump is almost the same as replacing the timing belt so it would be better to do both to save on labour cost.

in my case labour cost is so low that i can afford to do a water pump replacment as an independant job at the mechanic's job... for some people labour costs are so high that throwing in a water pump in a timing belt job is well jusyfied.

in the end it depends on your options and labour cost for doing work on your car... having a water pump replacment during the timing belt job is related to labour cost rather than anything else.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
koh

Post by koh »

Hi Genie,

Have you got a price for the job ?? Mine is 75,000km ++. I heard from Starauto that they recommend 50,000 km.

Do advise. And where is the workshop ? Thanks in advance.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Its more of a preventative maintenance and a convenience thing. The water pumps do fail and can leak, and its not very much more work to change over the water pump if your changing all the belts!

You could learn the hard way like me and get all your belts changed, only to realise a few months later that the water pump fails and you need to pay for the labour to take all the belts off again to get at the water pump!

It cost me $90AU for a new water pump and seal! Worth it to change it at the same time.

--Tim
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

Well koh, I have reached 60k and it is time for replacing the timing belt. As for the water pump, true enough it is a toss up between labor and preventive maintenance. Water pumps fail faster due to improper coolant mixes. I believe that as long as it is still OK and the weep hole did not leak coolant, it is still alright to keep it in there.
koh

Post by koh »

genie47 wrote:Well koh, I have reached 60k and it is time for replacing the timing belt. As for the water pump, true enough it is a toss up between labor and preventive maintenance. Water pumps fail faster due to improper coolant mixes. I believe that as long as it is still OK and the weep hole did not leak coolant, it is still alright to keep it in there.
Hi,

Have you got a price for the job ? Could you share with me ? Where is the workshop ?
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

Most likely the guy mentioned by Bluwie from www.teamchevysg.com/forum He is a no nonsense mechanic. Doesn't like maintaining modded cars. :P
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

genie47 wrote: Doesn't like maintaining modded cars. :P
just like my mechanic... show him a car with only a cone filter and he freaks out.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267