Just noticed something that doesn't look or feel right...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Aneab
Expert

Just noticed something that doesn't look or feel right...

Post by Aneab »

For a while now, my car has shuddered while on freeway driving... My assumption at the moment was motor mounts... After driving on the freeway again today... I noticed something... The car began to shudder a bit... and after about 3 minutes of continued shuddering, i looked at my gas gauge, which normally is off a little bit... but not this far off... It had dropped 1/8 of a tank in just 3 minutes of driving... almost like i was losing fuel out of no where... thats 1.71 gallons of fuel that just... up and disappeared like it was never there... The gas gauge never recovered and I'd driven for about 10 minutes on constant level ground with it at 1/4 tank before it dropped to 1/8th... I'm really concerned about my car at this point... and i have no idea what's going on with it... if you guys can help me at all... anything would be awesome... Thanks for any help before hand...

~kyle
a woo that is a work in progress
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no idea about the fuel gauge but the shudder could be one of many many things... give us more feedback.

does it shudder on idling?
at which rpm does it show shudder?
does it shudder at constant speed?
does it shudder during acceleration?
does it shudder during lift off?
how old is your:

spark plug
spark plug wires
injectors
fuel filter
air filter

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

What happens is i'll be drivin on the freeway Normally just after accelerating past 75mph... But not every time after accelerating past 75mph... it shudders for an extended period of time... and it wont stop till i slow down... Any time i try to go over 75MPH is when it starts which sometimes i have to do to pass someone. But it doesn't always do it... Only at certain times, and it will shudder then stop, shudder then stop... This last time was the only real time it stayed constant for long enough for me to notice anything with my gauges...

as for replacing all of that... I've got new spark plugs... with only 1k miles on them... Air filter is pretty new... and everything else i have to replace... because i don't know how long ago they were looked at...

~Kyle
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

first impression is fuel filter or dirty injectors.

MMamdouh
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

mmamdouh wrote:first impression is fuel filter or dirty injectors.

MMamdouh
nice... more upgrades for me
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Daew0Leganza wrote:

MMamdouh
nice... more upgrades for me
not sure what that means? lol...
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

MMamdouh
yea i need a new one... going to use your how to on that...
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

r there performance fuel filters? can just putting on some fuel injector cleaner clean them?
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

To clarify what i had said, i need a new fuel filter...
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

Daew0Leganza wrote:r there performance fuel filters? can just putting on some fuel injector cleaner clean them?
yes their are performance filters but they arent direct drop in's. they aren mostly only useful when running high psi (60+) and using some injector cleaner will clean it a litttle but if it needs to be replace it's best to replace it then clean it.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i agree... fuel filters are not that expensive either to waist time trying to clean them rather than buying a new one... even the best cleanup job won't be as good as a new filter.

MMamdouh
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I wonder if one of your injectors is sticking wide open and dumping massive amounts of fuel into the cylinder.

It sounds like one cylinder is not firing... which will give you a significant loss in power, the other three cylinder will have to work harder (and use more fuel ) and there will be a distinct shudder especially at certain RPM levels.

One time I saw a stuck injector fill up an entire cylinder full of fuel in a matter of a few minutes worth of cranking.... the mechanic removed the spark plug and gasoline started squirting out everywhere (it was partially under pressure )

In a matter of minutes you could smell gasoline in the exhaust and intake..... they had to remove the gasoline with a syringe and let it sit for a couple of hours to let the rest of the fuel evaporate.

He slapped in a new injector and it was good to go.

I'd try some injector cleaner first..... there could be some gunk in there causing it to stick..... it it doesn't help..... test the ignition system and get the injectors tested. (called an injector balance test at a reputable repair shop )

The injector balance test will ensure that all injectors are functioning correctly and flowing identical amounts of fuel.

It's very common to have three good injectors and one injector that is either dumping in too much fuel or not enough fuel.

Usually the too much fuel results in poor fuel economy... lost power.... poor driveablitily

Not enough fuel results in a lean mixture which can create massive heat levels..... melted pistons... melted cylinder head...detonation.... spark plug damage.

You should pull out your spark plugs..... and check the color.

If you dig around on the internet you will find several sites which tell you how to "read" your plugs.

Depending on the color of the spark plug you will have an indication about whether it's running rich,lean or just right

You will also be able to see signs of detonation and misfires.

Keep track of which spark plug is from which cylinder..... compare them all and you might find one out of the four that is a different color.... which indicates an issue with either the injectors, ignitinon system or in some cases a bad piston seal ( rings are worn or broken )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

do u recommend putting on better fuel injectors or would replacing the fuel injectors still not fix the problem if the piston seals broken? my car tends to drive like the fuel pumps pushing to much fuel for the piston to use... after wot before the cold air... the car sounds like the fuel pumps pushing more fuel because of the resistor but theres less power
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

So today i took out my fuel rail and injectors... Turns out one of my o rings was demolished... (cut into two peices) I replaced two of them, as one other was cracking... I'm not sure if that would be the problem you described but definately one of the injectors didn't look like the others... it was the same injector same shape same exact size, even had the same part number, but it was missing some stuff like the red little ring that goes aronud the outside to show you that side is pointed down... My friend told me to get my injectors rebuilt by the same people he had his done by, for 50$ they work like new... so i may do that this month...

~Kyle
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

Aneab wrote:So today i took out my fuel rail and injectors... Turns out one of my o rings was demolished... (cut into two peices) I replaced two of them, as one other was cracking... I'm not sure if that would be the problem you described but definately one of the injectors didn't look like the others... it was the same injector same shape same exact size, even had the same part number, but it was missing some stuff like the red little ring that goes aronud the outside to show you that side is pointed down... My friend told me to get my injectors rebuilt by the same people he had his done by, for 50$ they work like new... so i may do that this month...

~Kyle
really? should upgrade my fuel injectors wires filter and spark plugs... r there performance filters and which fuel injectors do u people recommend for my modded leganza? how much would the total for the 4 best fuel injectors and some performance fuel filter?