2001 Nubira major torque steer

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

smo

2001 Nubira major torque steer

Post by smo »

Hi guys,
I recently bought a 2001 nubira, first thing I did was take it in for new tires. While they were putting new tires on, I had them do a four wheel alignment. Ever since then, there is a major torque steer problem. When on the highway, you practically get thrown into the next lane!

I took it back to the tire shop, they checked everything out and said it must be bad engine mounts? It only has 55,000 miles on it, would the mounts be worn bad enough already to cause the problem?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

PS-The engine does move a good amount if you hold the brakes and rev it, but how much movement is normal?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it could be the engine mounts indeed... if that is the case then you should notice that the car "steers" effect increases too much under acceleration.

but why this problem only appeared after the wheels alignment?? check the alignment at another shop just to be sure.

also another test is to try to move the car with the hand brakes applid if the mounts are bad the engine will move too much... much more than you have ever seen on any car 'cause practically is lose.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
smo

Post by smo »

Hey, thanks for the reply. Is there any other parts besides the engine mounts that could cause this? I assumed that the steering linkage is all tight if they were able to align it. Maybe a broken strut shaft? But I think I would hear that? Maybe not?
Thanks for all the help!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i can't think of anything else other than i have already mentioned... what oyou suggested will have much bigger impact on drivabilty and it won't just be bad allignment.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267