residue in the oil lid

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Max

residue in the oil lid

Post by Max »

Find some residue in the engine oil cap, some look like cream, others are black.

But my coolant temp is normal, and engine oil colour is fine and coolant level is close to max mark.

Is there any possilbe for leaking of coolant to engine ? if the leaking can produce residue in the cap , should the condition of engine oil and coolant change immediately and obviously??

Anyway , I don't want to open my engine since it only has 23k KM in mileage

(Sorry , I have cleaned it without pictures )
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i once have what looked like "water in the oil" at the backside of my oil cap... i took off my cam cover for a better look and their was nothing, every thing looked normal.

you can do that if you are worried about having a blown head gasket or a craked block or head.

also if you have such problem you will see one of the following symptoms:

- engine oil is like mustard (brownesh yellow and heavy).
- oil in the coolant.
- over heating and loss of power.
- water vapor in the exhaust.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
tango

Post by tango »

If you live in a very humid environment this may be the cause. If you last drove your car late at night and then check the oil cap early in the morning you may find condensation being left behind inside the camcover. This tends to mix with the oil and give that creamish appearance. Nothing to worry about, but for safety sake give a quick check around and keep an eye on your coolant level and the overall colour of the oil.
Cogito ergo sum...
Max

Post by Max »

I have done 2000km since I found that residue in the engine oil cap. Now the coolant level doesn't change much and can't find any residue in back of cap anymore .

Is this mean everything is ok ?

I think the water may come from the vatilation hose of engine cam cover during rain or humid weather .
panther

Post by panther »

In the UK what you describe is often referred to as mayonnaise in the filler cap. Like Tango says it usually forms with condensation and is common on vehicles that only do short journeys. If you're not loosing any water or fluids then regular oil & filter changes will help.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

SOUNDS RATHER NORMAL... I EXPERINCED THAT ONLY ONCE DURING 68,000 KMS... AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T REOCCURE AND THE CAR IS RUNNING FINE AND FLUIDS DOESN'T DROP IN LEVEL OR CHANGE IN COLOR THEN YUO ARE OK.

MMamdouh

*sorry for the caps lock... didn't see it was on till i finished the post.
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Max

The coolant looks very clear.

Post by Max »

Today I changed my coolant , and found it very clear . I try to drop a oil to the coolant , you can tell the different immediately. so sure there is no problem with gasket.

Thanks everybody!!
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

check the hoses going from cam to intake, and make sure they are not clogged, and that is where there is no way to get all of the humidity out of the engine. I know that is true on a 1.6 Lanos.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
john_trickle
Expert

Cheap oil

Post by john_trickle »

Ive seen this problem before if you use a really cheap oil.

John
mrbnew

Post by mrbnew »

I have noticed the same thing on my 1.6 lanos. I was going to put in an oil catch can between the valve cover vent and the air intake to see just how much bad stuff is in there. I got about 2.5 feet of black hose and put it on but didn't put the catch can in yet because I couldn't find one. Well, about a week later I said screw it and took the longer hose off and guess what I found collected in the low spot of the hose? About a half cup of brown water... weird.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

i use the same kind of oil that originally came in the car off the manufacturing line.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
sim0ng

Post by sim0ng »

same thing happened on my corsa about a year ago but it was just noisture in the oil trying to escape, as the dip stick and oil cap are the highest points in the engine it tends to condense and accululate in these spots and looks like mayo. give the car a good hard run revving highly in each gear and dont worry about breaking the speed limit, sometimes you have to break the law to make sure your cars running well. Keep your eye on the coolant level and your oil to make sure that the coolant isnt turning to gravy and theres no mayo on the oil cap or dip stick anymore, if it is then you'll want to get the head gasket replaced and will probably need the head skimmed, you can do the gasket yourself but wouldn't have thought you could do the skimming yourself unless you have the right machineary as it takes off a thin layer of metal to even the surface out as it could have warped