Rebuilding Fuel Pump

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pparkitn

Rebuilding Fuel Pump

Post by pparkitn »

Hi All,

I have a 99 Daewoo Lanos 1.5 and for some time the car is just not running right. ( hesitation, rough idle, loss of power on acceleration etc....)
After some diagnosis it came to the consultion that its the fuel pump at fault.

I checked the pressure it was 30 PSI, closing of the return line made it only jump to 40PSI which is still below the 41-47PSI required for normal operation. The car holds the pressure fine which would suggest no leaks anywhere. The pressure regulator works fine, pressure goes up and down according to engine RPM ( manifold pressure). New fuel filter made no change.

My question is did anybody attempt to rebuild the fuel pump, at $400 its just way to much money for me to spend, also does anybody know a car that uses a similar fuel pump. I am thinking of buying a generic fuel pump and using its components to fix up the my Daewoo pump. Another option would be to disconect the pressure regulator and run the car with increased emmisions.

Located in Canada so I have access to all vehicles brands.
Thank You
MMamdouh

Re: Rebuilding Fuel Pump

Post by MMamdouh »

pparkitn wrote:Hi All,

I checked the pressure it was 30 PSI, closing of the return line made it only jump to 40PSI which is still below the 41-47PSI required for normal operation. The car holds the pressure fine which would suggest no leaks anywhere. The pressure regulator works fine, pressure goes up and down according to engine RPM ( manifold pressure). New fuel filter made no change.
isn't the fuel pressure in our cars is some 34 psi?? i remeber someone mentioned that... anybody can confirm??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yeah, I've had my fuel pump die on me and was raped for $800 USD parts and labor at the Daewoo dealership. But that was before I started working on cars and realized how easy it was to change.

Unfortunately, I believe that the fuel pump is a non-serviceable part and that Daewoo doesn't sell parts for it. I think the best bet would be to go with either a used pump, or just buy a generic in-line fuel pump and integrate it into the fuel lines of your Lanos. It would probabally end up working fairly well and would save loads of money.

Also, Tom from 360 Dynamics might be able to get you a OEM fuel pump for a better price than $400.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

uh... you can buy a walbro pump (255L/Hr) for around 130...

thats WAY better than oem

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/pr ... ts_id=1338
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

or you can buy my stock nubi fuel pump for less or my inline walbro fuel pump for less also.
got drift?
pparkitn

Post by pparkitn »

Thanks for all your sugestions so far.

mmamdouh: the fuel pressure in the Daewoo Lanos according to the Daewoo Service Manual supposed to be 41-47PSI. So my pressure would be much lower but it might not cause any problems. If anyone wants the manual let me know, its in pdf format and its exactly the same as the paper version dealer has. ( I compared them, exactly the same)

I took out the fuel pump today and noticed that the sock is filled with black stuff inside, does anybody know if this is done intentionaly or was it white and got filled with dirt. I might even try running the car without it and see if the fuel pressure gets higher.

[/img]
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I think (not 100% sure) I remember hearing that Daewoos have 2 fuel filters. One that is serviceable in the engine compartment, and one that is actually attached to the fuel pump. I think you may have found the one on the pump, perhaps removing it might get a better flow rate but it might damage the pump further if left off for long.
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

all intank fuel pumps have that strainer, don't try removing it or u will damage the pump, that is just there to protect the pump, if you remove thatm, u will have to buy a new pump. just buy a walbro off ebay, the preice is right and they are easy to install
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

pparkitn wrote: If anyone wants the manual let me know, its in pdf format and its exactly the same as the paper version dealer has. ( I compared them, exactly the same)
by all means yes... i want a copy of that manual, could you send it to one of those e mails?
mmamdouh75@hotmail.com
mmamdouh75@yahoo.com
mmamdouh@ntgegypt.com

perhaps it will be better to send it to all addresses to make sure it reaches me.

thank you very much man... i really appreciate it.

MMamdouh
pparkitn

Post by pparkitn »

mmamdouh: just sent you the file which is 30MB so I might post it in the file section as well in case you don't get it or other's might want to have a look.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for your help man... i have received 5 e mails contaning the split manual... got to dig my way through winrar to put them back together.

again thanks for your help.

MMamdouh
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

pparkitn wrote:mmamdouh: just sent you the file which is 30MB so I might post it in the file section as well in case you don't get it or other's might want to have a look.

hey bro can i get a copy also plz would help me out alot w my turbo appl probs thanx
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have forwarded them e mails to you woo_sleeper... enjoy.

MMamdouh
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

thanx a mill bro :D
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

richardmatalon wrote:all intank fuel pumps have that strainer, don't try removing it or u will damage the pump, that is just there to protect the pump, if you remove thatm, u will have to buy a new pump. just buy a walbro off ebay, the preice is right and they are easy to install
so is installing a walbro just a simple bolt in? isn't there going to be some splicing of wires and such? Also I'm sure you'd need to run a thicker gauge power wire to that fuel pump.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com