New to Daewoo, Many Questions

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ShalerPunk

New to Daewoo, Many Questions

Post by ShalerPunk »

I've now owned a Super Red Suzuki Reno for a week, and I have some questions:

1) What is my engine name/code?

2) Which engines fit into the car? Which cars are these from?

3) Which trannies (manual only) fit into the car? Which cars are these from?

4) I'm friends with some guys who develop RX-7 parts. If I had them develop some things for our cars (Reno/Lacetti/Optra/Forenza), would people be interested?

5) Who makes a good performance shock for our cars?

6) Will an engine that swaps into a Reno also swap into a Lanos?

I ask all these questions because although I have a 100k mile warranty to get through before I can do much, I want to build the ultimate engine/tranny combo to swap into the car (or maybe even a second Reno when I find one blown up).

Michael Blanyer
2005 Suzuki Reno LX
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well.... doing a search for Forenza,Optra should give you most of this info... but I will answer your questions anyways.

I have the Canadian Equivilent of the Reno which is the Chevrolet Optra 5.

I have several modifications and I'm a few weeks away from putting in a turbo.

1) The engine code is U20SED and it's related to a number of Opel/GM engines....many of which are found in Europe.

2a) The factory turbocharged 8V C20GET from an 87 to 91 Pontiac Sunbird GT will bolt in but your better off throwing a turbo onto the U20SED since it will make more power. The Europeans have the Z20LET and C20LET turbo engines which use a cosworth designed head and they are well known for making very serious power.

2b) The Reno is basicly an Opel/GM design... most of the parts are manufacutured in Europe and Australia

3) There are a number of transmissions which will fit onto the U20SED. The most desireable is the 6speed F28 found in the Opel/Vauxhall Calibra turbo (which had the C20LET) The F28 is normally an AWD tranny but there are conversion kits to change it over to FWD.... it's capable of taking massive horsepower levels.

4) If the parts are decently priced and are good quality I'm sure that there are a number of people that would be interested.

5) As of yet there are no known aftermarket shocks available :( but we are trying to figure out which Opel car the suspension is from.... then we will pick up a set and try them out on my car...... I really want a set of decent shocks.... I have the Apex lowering springs from 360Dynamics but I think that shocks are really needed ( I could compress the strut by hand :shock: so they aren't very stiff )

6) Yes..... the 2.2L 2.0L & 1.6L found in the Leganza, Nubira, Forenza, Reno and Lanos are interchangeable with minor modifications.

I purchased a 2.0L U20SED from an autowrecker down in North Carolina for really cheap and this is the engine I plan on throwing a turbo on.

I have connecting rods from a C20GET (good to about 350hp to 380hp) and a set of JE forged pistons that should be going in the car sometime soon.

I have a SAFC-II installed and I have a programable MSD DIS-2 ignition system.

I will probably swap my Leganza fuel rail into the Forenza engine and convert the car from a "returnless fuel system" to a "return fuel system"

I haven't decided about the tranny.... for now I'm just going to use the stock D20 ( direct relation to the Opel F20 transmission) with an uprated clutch,pressure plate and flywheel.

I've also been thinking about picking up a Quaife LSD as they make them for the D16/F16 in the Lanos D20/F20 in the Nubira/Reno/Optra and the F28 from the Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Calibra.

In case your wondering..... the Lanos is a remodeled Opel Astra/Kadette from the early nineties...... they look different on the exterior and interior but they are based upon the same chassis,suspension, brake, powertrain
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Hey Neighbor... sorta... I'm not too far from ya.

Lacaster, PA here.

I'm also thinking about getting a Suzuki Reno.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com