spark wires universal?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

spark wires universal?

Post by kinkyllama »

Are they? What kind/size would be better to go with than stock? and how much are they usually?

*edit... i ment wires, not plugs
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the stock are 7mm so any thicker wires will be better, some guys use 8mm or even 8.5 mm wires and they work fine.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

mmamdouh wrote:the stock are 7mm so any thicker wires will be better, some guys use 8mm or even 8.5 mm wires and they work fine.

MMamdouh

but do they work any better?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

8 and 8.5 mm Spark Plug Wires do have a thicker core and therefore offer less resistance and a stronger spark, they do work better. I have 8 mm magnecors on my Lanos and they are an improvement over stock, the car is much smoother. You could opt for the 10 mm wires but those only have a thicker covering to protect against heat.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

i've 10 mm on mine :roll:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

well unless you have some other stuff done you wont really notice a difference by just changing the wires.

I did a comparison on a completely stock engine. Only mods were intake and exhaust. Replaced the stock wires with only 4K miles on them with some 8.5mm Magnecors. Didn't notice any difference at all. However, I'd be willing to bet that the Magnecors last alot longer.

Those that have said they feel a difference are probably replacing old and very worn wires with new wires, that's the difference.

So unless you have a complete electrical system upgrade I don't think you'll really see any hp benefit from them and even then it'd be very minimal.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
money

Post by money »

Less resistance yes, but ultimatly all it's doing is igniting fuel. Spark's a spark's a spark ;).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
www.forenzamotorsports.co

Post by www.forenzamotorsports.co »

I think your Lanos has the same motor as forenza so do you know the specific part # for the 8mm plugs from magnacore? How much did you pay and where etc...?

Thanks

Scott
I LOVED :) THE CAR THAT YOU LOVE..FORENZA!
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

www.forenzamotorsports.co wrote:I think your Lanos has the same motor as forenza so do you know the specific part # for the 8mm plugs from magnacore? How much did you pay and where etc...?

Thanks

Scott
No, the Forenza motor is more like the Nubira.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

i used a 8,5 uni set and adapted it to the stock plugs sockets works perfect
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

daewooluvr wrote:Those that have said they feel a difference are probably replacing old and very worn wires with new wires, that's the difference.

So unless you have a complete electrical system upgrade I don't think you'll really see any hp benefit from them and even then it'd be very minimal.
Mine had an assload of miles on them, so that is probabally it, but yes, I did notice a difference.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BosnianLanos wrote:
daewooluvr wrote:Those that have said they feel a difference are probably replacing old and very worn wires with new wires, that's the difference.

Mine had an assload of miles on them, so that is probabally it, but yes, I did notice a difference.
Shaun... your car is weird man!

you felt nothing when you removed the CAT neither did you feel a thing when trying them wires so... :roll:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

mmamdouh wrote:
BosnianLanos wrote:

Shaun... your car is weird man!

you felt nothing when you removed the CAT neither did you feel a thing when trying them wires so... :roll:

MMamdouh
ha ha yeah maybe... but this is with two different engines so I'm pretty sure that it's not the wires or anything. The only way I can see to get any performance increases from spark plug wires is if you already replaced the rest of the electrical system. Otherwise the wires are only transmitting the same amount of electricity as the stock ones. I did however notice a difference in response when I upgraded the power and ground wires. I'm also running the cheap NGKs.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I dont think the wires will hardly make a difference at all. But i do plan on upgraded my car ALOT more so it wont hurt. Plus my wires are getting old. and if you add all the little things that hardly do anytihng.. you've got something
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport