Brake Upgrades

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Brake Upgrades

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Pontiac Lemans has the same strut to strut distance, the same distance from wheel hub to wheel hub and the same engine bay measurements.

Needless to say they are pretty much identical (including the wheel hub diameter and bolt pattern)

He told me that because our Lanos's have the rear drum's bolted on to the rear suspension it is very easy to replace them with disk brakes.

I will get more details but he uses a set of Brembo's on the front of his car. (unfortunatly his rear drums are welded instead of bolted so it will be hard for him to convert unless he drops a Lanos rear supension into his Lemans)

I will get more specifics of where he gets the parts ( some suppliers are from the UK)
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Erfinder,

Would you say your rotors look like this? 256mmX24mm??

If so, Lemans/Kadett/Astra Mk2 rotors will fit ;)

l8r

Post by Efratech »

i use those rotors/calipers!! of course not the brembo drilled you have!

i got this calipers/rotos from a '96 daewoo espero 2.0 (the same car i got my engine)

i have to use 14" wheels 'cos '13 dont fit!

i had the lanos brakes once... the diference is very very clear the car STOPS quickly than before even at high speeds the braking responds at the touch of the pedal... i would say braking improves near a 20%+
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
bmiester

Post by bmiester »

Yes guys, the Pontiac Lemans, Opel, Vauxhall, and Lanos all have the same rotors! I bought a pair of Brembo cross drilled and slotted brakes and they fit perfectly.
Here is the OEM part number for your rotor:
Lanos - 90121455

Here is the Brembo part number: 90309010.

However, trying to get Brembo to ship them to the US was like pulling teeth. Maybe with enough request, they'll keep a supply in the US.

Hell, I couldn't get it to work so click below.....
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/da ... %26.view=t
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

What about Civic/Integra rotors????

They have the same bolt pattern and almost the exact same size hub diameter.... I wonder if they would work?

Brembo makes some huge ass monster two piece rotors that are 328mm which is nearly 13 inches! :shock:

I was thinking about pulling a stock civic rotor off at a scrap yard and comparing it to my Lanos to see what the difference is.

I'm sure if the Civic/Integra rotors fit one could make an adapter to work with the Lanos bolt locations ( I could make one if needed) and the parts would be a billion times cheaper and easier to get.

Hmmm.....too bad the wreckers are closed at 5:30 otherwise I'd go right now.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

I was thinking in change mune for a biguer rottors and calipers any one know if there any one who fit the nubira? :?:
ImageImage
mocpac

About better timing belt

Post by mocpac »

rigth question wrong post.
Last edited by mocpac on Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm so confused right now :? :?

According to all the info I have the Civic and Integra use a 56.1mm hub which is very close to our 56.6mm Daewoo Hub size.

As well the Civic's and Integra's use the same 4 X 100mm pattern.

But when I measured our rotors I found that mine is actually a 56.5 mm hub and the hole in my rotor is 60mm.

So I went out to the local UAP/NAPA autoparts and picked up a rotor for a 95 Integra.... when I got it back here I found out it has a 64mm hub.

Needless to say other than the hub it's nearly identical.... I would have to add a 2mm spacer to the rear side of the rotor or else take that into consideration when I make a new caliper mount adapter.

As well I would need to make a hub spacer to go from the Daewoo Hub size to that of the Integra.

The integra's stock rotor is also larger (262mm vs 235mm ) so I would have to make a caliper mount adapter to accomidate the larger diameter and move the caliper out 17mm.

I also checked some smaller 93 Civic DX rotors that are about 237mm to 240mm and they had a 61mm center hole in the rotor....close but not perfect.

If I have to make a ring I'd much rather use the larger 64mm hole so that the piece is easier to make.

Given the large difference between the Hub diameter (56.5mm) and the hole in the rotor (60mm) I have to wonder if I really even need to worry about the diameter of the hole.

I guess I will just have to fool around and see if I can make it work.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I figured out what is going on.....

The rotor doesn't actually sit on the hub itself it sits on the outside diameter of the mounting surface connected to the hub.

So the Lanos is setup for about 120mm but the Integra rotor is 141mm inside.

So to make it work you would need a spacer to go onto the inside of the rotor that has a 120mm inside diameter and a 141mm outside diameter.

The short story is that with an adapter all "big brake" systems designed for the Acura Integra and Civic SI can be adapted for use on a Lanos.

So if you have $2395 USD and a machine shop it should be no problem to fit a huge 328mm (12.9") Brembo Gran Turismo brake kit onto the Lanos.

http://hp.brembo.com/brandlist.asp?cati ... geNumber=4

Given the Gran Turismo kit is a two piece rotor they might even be able to make a custom hat to fit the Lanos and then this whole "spacer" thing wouldn't be needed.

I personally own a Lathe so I would go the route of making my own spacers but you never know....if Brembo had enough people interested they might do something.