SR20DET ENGINE SWAP (split from another topic)

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

scourge
Junior

SR20DET ENGINE SWAP (split from another topic)

Post by scourge »

Just curious, why not just get an SR20DET engine and transmission? The power output on the SR can be insane pushing over 300hp consistently. Now, I don't know how the electronics would swap over, but the engine should fit nicely.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

it might fit nicely in your mind, but you have to remember that pretty much the whole front clip will need to be replaced
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

WooHoo wrote:it might fit nicely in your mind, but you have to remember that pretty much the whole front clip will need to be replaced
Now, just why do you have to be an asshole about it? :roll: Obviously, you don't know squat about the SR or how you don't NEED a whole front clip. You need to expand your awareness about engine swaps that exist out there instead of getting all pompous and attacking someone who dares go against your narrowminded views. ass.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

Now, just why do you have to be an asshole about it? :roll: Obviously, you don't know squat about the SR or how you don't NEED a whole front clip. You need to expand your awareness about engine swaps that exist out there instead of getting all pompous and attacking someone who dares go against your narrowminded views. ass
funny, i dont remember being an asshole when i wrote that, and yes your right, i dont know squat about the SR family engines, every engine swap that i have seen thats a different make from the car usually needs all new drivelines which usually means you need new front parts. so i ASSumed that you would need one for this swap. and if you want to swap this in your car then go have fun doing it. no where in that sentence was i attacking you and in fact it seems like your attacking me. hey i admit that alot of things fit nicely in my mind but then when i go to make them the story changes, like when i used some 12" Integra rotors for the lanos, when i measured it seemed in my mind that the bracket that comes with the rotors would fit, but it took fabricating all new brakes to get the rotors to work.

i guess what im trying to say is did you actually measure everything up and make sure that everything is going to go right inplace or are you just being an ASS because i suggested that maybe the front clip would have to replaced with one for SR engine

ok well thats enough of this off topic subject and if you want to talk to me more then PM me and leave this thread to Efrain A. converson
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

scourge wrote:Now, just why do you have to be an asshole about it? :roll: Obviously, you don't know squat about the SR or how you don't NEED a whole front clip. You need to expand your awareness about engine swaps that exist out there instead of getting all pompous and attacking someone who dares go against your narrowminded views. ass.
What kind of idiot are you???

You will need a front clip no doubt about it.... buying each individual part separately would be absolutely stupid.... the cost would be way higher if you tried to get parts separately

I never attack anyone but when I see something like this I just have to jump in and say that you need a brain transplant more than an engine tranplant :P

You would need absolutely everything from a front clip to make this work in a Daewoo.... to say otherwise means you haven't a clue about anything.

You need the engine, all it's accessories, wiring loom, transmission, mounts, transmission linkage, drive shafts..... the list goes on and on..... you can't buy many of these parts separtate.... you need a front clip no doubt about it.

If you want to prove us wrong then do the swap.... otherwise shut the fuck up

Your attack on WooHoo was unprovoked and all I see when I look at his post is constructive information.... you need to chill out.
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Erfinder, thanks for being an asshole too. I'm glad I rubbed you the wrong way. Just try to add a constructive post and naturally people gotta get their ghetto badmuthfucka attitides perpetratin online. :roll:

I don't need to buy a front clip and if you can read Japanese, YOU don't either. Maybe it is easier for YOU people who have no connections to Japan, but YOU people are not everybody. I do have connections and so do thousands of other people.

Now, WooHoo explained himself after his obvious attack. Now, it is YOU who need to chill the fuck out and stop acting like you're special because you own a Daewoo. :roll:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

This topic was split because I wanted to keep this SR20DET stuff out of the original topic.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

How is calling someone an asshole a constructive post???

I don't care if you know Japanese... it has nothing to do with integrating an SR20DET into a Daewoo.... I also have connections.... I know an importer who brings parts in from Japan on a weekly basis.

If you remember when you first came on here we were talking about how cool an SR20DET swap would be..... I love the SR20DET.... it's a kick as engine.

But the fact remains that you would have to swap allmost every single part from a front clip into the Daewoo to make it work.

Nothing is compatible.... I've allready done about 40 hours worth of work trying to see how hard it would be.

It's not a simple matter of just making a few mounts and your on your way... there is very significant differences in everything from the shift linkage to the electronics.

Prior to the Daewoo I had a chance to purchase an older Nissan 240SX with the dreaded KA24... I looked at all the options including importing all the JDM parts to make it into a Silvia.

I even started looking into dropping an SR20DET head onto a KA24 and making a KA24DET.

So I'm not some idiot spouting off crap.... I've looked at this idea for quite a while.... I doubt that you've done your homework like I have.

This swap would be a mess..... it would probably take several months to get it to work.... and you would most likely need to cut into the structural members and then re-weld tubing to make the engine fit.

The C20 familly will just barely go into a Lanos and that is only because the engine bay is the same as an Astra.

If you figure things out you will see that you would need to cut the entire left side structure and resupport it by welding in tubing..... another alternative is to shift the engine and tranny to the right and make completely new drive shafts (which are needed anyways) but this will probably upset the torque distribution with making the difference in drive shafts even worse.

I'm not saying the SR20DET can't be done...I allready know it's possible.... it's just way more work than it's worth.... the B16 works because the engine/tranny are relatively small.

To do it without a front clip would be nearly impossible.... you would need the front clip to take measurements and readadjust the position of nearly everything.

If you want to make a bet on it..... I'd be willing to put up some cash.... I bet it would be impossible to get it done without a clip or any other Silvia (or 240SX conversion) to take measurements from.
Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

scourge wrote: I don't know how the electronics would swap over, but the engine should fit nicely.
Ya that's right... you haven't the slightest idea... the electronics is the easiest part of this swap.

Hell... while your at it why don't you swap in a Hemi.... it should fit just as easy :roll:
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Guys, I don't know why you're arguing over this... it should be as easy as that:

scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Christ, the SR20DET came in FWD option too. :roll: Yeh, you know Japanese and all about the Silvia....yet you didn't know that the FWD Pulsar SR20DET is NOT the same SR20DET ofthe Silvia. They are not interchangeable even in a Nissan. ass.

And, you don't need to buy the clip (though it would be helpful) any more than you need to keep being a fuckhead. I throw out what I thought was a constructive post and get told that its all im my mind and now some of you kids keep running of at the mouth. You wanna make this into a Honda board, fine. I'll admit that I was wrong in thinking this place was better than that. :roll:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Saying the SR20DET would be a great alternative swap was a "constructive post".... as I said before.... I love the SR20DET.... but what I'm annoyed at is that you jumped on WooHoo for simply suggesting that a full front clip would be the best way to proceed with the swap.

You threw the first insult.... no doubt about it.

I will go through life being an asshole some of the time but you will allways be an idiot. :D
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is the 1992 Pulsar GTI-R.... which is the car I was looking at.... I was talking about the Silvia because I was going to build one..... that wasn't the swap I was looking at.....

http://www.daewootech.com/chris/Pulsar.jpg
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

This is the 1992 Pulsar GTI-R I was looking at for a Daewoo swap.... don't you remember talking about how an AWD Daewoo would be cool?

I was talking about the Silvia because I was going to build one..... that wasn't the swap I was looking at for the Daewoo.

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm not sure why you refer to us as "kids" I'm 30... I own a very large manufacturing business.... I am an Engineer in most countries on this planet.... I come from a long line of Engineers.... my grandfather was one of the designers of the AVRO ARROW ... more specificly he was part of the Iroquois engine design team.

I have tens of thousands of hours of experience in manufacturing a wide array of goods... I've rebuilt several engines and have been doing work on import cars since I was 15.

Hell my first enigne rebuild was a 22RE from an 83 Celica GTS... about 13 years ago... water pump died... I had to do some serious work to get that thing rolling again.

Needless to say I doubt you have the experience or background I have..... so what do you do for a living?????