No Heat

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

cldcld

No Heat

Post by cldcld »

Just bought a 2000 Lanos, and heater was blowing cold so i checked hoses and intake was disconnected and return routed to intake to bypass core, so I hooked up hoses and started car and coolent is leaking out a small 3-4 inch hose with a flat end coming off the core, not sure what this hose is for, and do I just have a bad core.
RichieOzzie
Junior

Re: No Heat

Post by RichieOzzie »

Best to change the heater core in these circumstances.

Painful to do unfortunately.

Remove the Dash as per one of the posts by Mmamdou in this forum, the rest is straight-forward.

Drain the coolant out before doing this, or the carpet may get more wet!!, and kink the hoses over to stop coolant coming from them.

Coolant is bad for your kidneys if you ingest it. YUKKY taste too!!
teteous1

Post by teteous1 »

Flush the core out by back-flushing the core by putting a hose on where the thermostat is. Fixed mine, all the gunk came out (Make sure to take the plug out the bottom of the radiator for the water to escape) :D
1999 Daewoo Leganza 2.2L +CAI
Looking for harder springs and shocks.
Richieb

Post by Richieb »

Yeah, the only reason Normally, people do the "by-pass" trick is to keep coolant in the engine when the heater core has developed a leak they dont want to pay for to get fixed.

By the sound of it, this one has a leak!

Oldest trick in the book.

It sure beats running the coolant out, and overheating the engine, but cold asses in winter.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

teteous1 wrote:Flush the core out by back-flushing the core by putting a hose on where the thermostat is. Fixed mine, all the gunk came out (Make sure to take the plug out the bottom of the radiator for the water to escape) :D
you would have to remove the thermostat to do that... right?

the thermostat will be closed during the process and you won't be able to circulate fresh water... right?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
teteous1

Post by teteous1 »

Yeah had to remove the thermostat, mine was stuff aswell, so I replaced that at the same time. Had a slow leak meaning really long warm up times, and when going down mountains it would cool down and drop down to third (auto).
1999 Daewoo Leganza 2.2L +CAI
Looking for harder springs and shocks.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Richieb wrote:Yeah, the only reason Normally, people do the "by-pass" trick is to keep coolant in the engine when the heater core has developed a leak they dont want to pay for to get fixed.
+1

i did so on my car and dad's car for this reason

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

I had an AUDI and a Nissan Maxima with similar fixes needed. Audi was the bigges pain in the ?!@$ to do, the the Max was a complete gutting of the car to do.

Only other time I Popped the Heater core, which seems to be the weakest part of the system was a little Feroza I used to drag my JetSki around. I fixed it all-up, only to have it stolen months later. Security was a none on this car!)

The Head Gasket had a problem, leaket combustion gas into the cooling system, and blew the core!!.