daewoo ciello 1500 gli

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Flygirl

daewoo ciello 1500 gli

Post by Flygirl »

Hello...Need urgent help with my car...Daewoo Ciello 1500 gl ( 96 )
Recently had the battery exploding after a dead short on the starter, replaced the starter, the battery as well as the distributor that apparently also were on its way out. Did the reassembly but the engine only swung but did not start... went back, checked timing( marks are aligned ), checked spark ( plenty ), checked compression ( plenty ), checked injectors ( all working well ), cleaned sparkplugs and the wires, made sure the distributor were on correctly, the whole shebang...still nothing. Last resort, I took off the plugwires made sure they were clean and refit 9 in the correct order ).Voila...she starts and drove...for a day...on my way from work she just cuts out...no warning lights came on except the battery light, just died - sudden loss of power and dead she went...checked everything all over again all seemed well, I did thought that the engine was rather warm when I opened the hood though, the temperature gauge did not show any signs of overheating, was sitting within the normal limit.
Needless to say, had her towed back home, and went through everything again, all the checks showed all is as it should be. WHAT AM I MISSING...The engine swings fine and the battery is brand new, but it just wouldn't start...could it be on the ignition?

PLEASE HELP...single mom with no transport at the moment and that is rather frustrating...as if working on this car is not frustrating at all ;-)
Regards
Tiana
redtop lanos

Re: daewoo ciello 1500 gli

Post by redtop lanos »

sounds like the alternator might not be takeing power and the heat is of that.And thats why the battery is still showing good look at the earth on the alternator hope this helps
john in belfast ireland
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I agree, it sounds like you have checked everything but the alternator...

the battery light on the dash is connected to the alternator not the battery

if you are unable to test the alt on the car, take it to an auto electrician and they should have a test bench to check everything is alright
if everything is showing normal, you will have to check the wiring going to and from the alternator

good luck
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Flygirl

Post by Flygirl »

Hello Guys...Turned out we were all wrong...the fact that it wouldn't start was due to a blown fuse...a 30 amp fuse to the fuel pump...you can imagine that I was very releived to find such small mistake BUT after the third fuse blown and being stranded twice more next to the road I have had enough...luckily a good samaritan stoppen ( who turned out to be an auto electricion ) did a few tests etc and the outcome.... FUEL PUMP on its way out...had that and the fuel filter at the bottom replaced and we are driving happily along now for 2 days with no problems ( touch wood:-) ) so thank you for the advise...I am now almost a daewoo fundi after doing all of this on my own...guess bieng a woman with oily hands from a damn stubborn car isn't that bad afterall:-) but I will definately think twice before I buy a Daewoo again...
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

it's the same with any car...
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
redtop lanos

Post by redtop lanos »

so happy you got it done and its the same with all cars as i have 8 cars at the min but now you have fixed it you know what you have as we say in belfast better the devil you know
Flygirl

Post by Flygirl »

Hey Redtop Lanos...we have that saying in South Africa as well...seem a bit prophetic and ironic at times...but the car is still not fixed properly however...she started again yesterday...upon starting sounds if there is not enough spark sounds like she's missing...after a bit it went away and she was running smoothly again. This morning however, started and it didn't sound as bad as yesterday but, when I drove off she was hicking...again only for a bit and then started running better again...I am really getting rather frustrated with her now as it is costing me a firtune on repairs...and a fortune I don't exactly have at the moment...
redtop lanos

Post by redtop lanos »

my cars fuel pipe was old as fuck going in to the fire wall so was leeking and had an air leek intake pipe had to look hard so dont think big think small look at all air and fuel pipes
SACielo

Post by SACielo »

i had the same problem with my cielo,the car got extremely hot,would lose power and die,but would show temp is normal,tried everything, turns out,the fuel pump was giving up,and the fan switch on the radiator was not working, thus the car was running lean causing it to detonate,and that in turn caused it to heat up extremely and not be able to cool down. What i did was bypass the switch by simply pulling off the two plugs and joining them and i added a extra external walbro pump to the old one. If you are in sa,try turbo toys in joburg,they have internal pumps that is not expensive and will be less of a hassle to fit than a extra external pump. Will get back to you with their number,hope this helps.
Pretorius Custom Development
pretoriuscustomdevelopment@gmail.com
Flygirl

Post by Flygirl »

Hi SA Ciello, I definately need your number...so glad to hear I was not the only one struggling...left alone being a female who knows about aircraft engine specs but not cars:-). One question though...what does the orange pumplike light on the dash means? What is going to break this time???? I am in SA and would absolutely appreciate turbo toys' number PLEASE...
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

"Pump like light"? The only one I can think of is the low fuel light. Do you have fuel in your tank? Quite franly I have had my lanos for sevearl years and have deliberately tried to get my low fuel lamp to light, but have never seen it come on! If you look in your owner's manual somehwere in one of the first pages it will have a diagram of your dash and arrows going to each of those light icons and explain what they are. If you do a search on here for manuals you can probably find one, of the link is current. If not see if you can find your manual.
Flygirl

Post by Flygirl »

Hi Puddle...Yeah there is fuel in my tank...I hate running out of fuel so the tank is always at the quartermark at least before I fill up...thanks for the advise, I will go search for a manual as I didn't get one from the seller when I bought it. the orange light is a little picture of something that looks like a pump on the panel where the oil and battery light sits. It does not come on all the time though. oNly came on occassionally in the past few days, when it comes on the car would still run however, she would like hick and keep driving. Could there be some sort of blockage somewhere on a fuel line perhaps? At this stage that is the only possible explanation I could think of untill now.:[(
SACielo

Post by SACielo »

Hi, soooo sorry for only getting back to you now, i've been out of the country on holiday. the number for turbo toys is : 011 894 8080/8140. The pump like light that you are reverring to, does it look like a petrol pump or like a little miss shaped box with 2 T shapes attached to it? if it is the second one, it is your engine fault light. It might be that your air flow meter's plug is a bit loose or the meter is failing or dirty, that would cause the light to occasionaly come on and go off again when it connects/disconnects and might even cause the car to splutter a bit as the ecm has to reset itself when it can not read the airflow or when it suddenly can. best bet is to check all sensors on the motor to see that all of them is connected. Here is a list of all the sensors that I know of and were they are located:
Airflow meter : located on the airbox were the airfilter goes in, removin the filter will help you get to the sensor point to wipe it clean. just check for a plastic stick like thing sticking from the box with a 2 wire plug connecting to it.

Oil sensor: located around the back of the motor near the oil sump and pump

Knock sensor: Located under the distributor

hope this helps,

feel free to e-mail me anytime for advice.

Henrico Pretorius

pretoriuscustomdevelopment@gmail.com (sorry for the long e-mail adress)
pretoriuscustomdevelopment@gmail.com