Ganing more power with a really simple mod

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Ganing more power with a really simple mod

Post by MMamdouh »

hi guys

i have been discussing the octane plug settings with you a while ago and we reached the conclusion that it affects the spark timing based on the octane you use (reflected by the socket setting)

a friend on the local car forum suggested that we can advance the timing a bit to make the engine a bit more responsive by adjusting the plug to a higher octane rating than the one you are actually using... so if you are using 87 you set the plug to 91 and if you are using 91 you set it to 95

i did try this myself and it was very rewarding... i am using 91 octane and i did set my octane plug to 95... the engine is more responsive now and the A/C compressor doesn't eat up as much power from the engine as it did before... the acceleration is far better as well.

the fuel consumption is now a bit tricky... at first i felt that in crowded city roads the consumption got higher... but on highway driving it got better... now the city driving consumption got better... maybe because at first i was turning on the A/C a lot and that affected the consumption irrespective to the plug settings

anyways this mod. - if i may call it so - is very rewarding and i recommend it to all you guys...

and as a reminder... this is a diagram showing the correct plug setting for each octane number... to do the mod just set the plug to the next higher octane number compared to the octane number you are actually using

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Nemasys
Junior

Re: Ganing more power with a really simple mod

Post by Nemasys »

Where is this plug located?

And how would this affect the engine if you do the contrary? Say put the setting for 83 octane and you use 91 or higher, would that retard the timing instead of advancing it? Might help with turbo applications if this actually worked.
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Nemasys wrote:Where is this plug located?

And how would this affect the engine if you do the contrary? Say put the setting for 83 octane and you use 91 or higher, would that retard the timing instead of advancing it? Might help with turbo applications if this actually worked.
+1

Edit: Same discussion over at DaewooClub UK: http://www.daewooclub.co.uk/forums/show ... p?tid=6482

and an old topic: http://daewootech.efrainarias.com/forum ... 44&start=0
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is found under the passenger's seat... you have to remove the carpet and in some cases the whole seat

MMamdouh
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

MMamdouh wrote:
it is found under the passenger's seat... you have to remove the carpet and in some cases the whole seat

MMamdouh
passenger seat being left or right?
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

In the states the passenger seat is on the right, and that is where the wiring and the ECU are. I don't know if it gets flipped to the other side overseas or not? Good question.
Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

I havent cheked but im not sure i have this plug in my car, its a 2004 Aveo, maybe hidden under the seat or under the dash, but the ecu in the Aveo is under the hood near the battery.
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

MMamdouh wrote:hi guys

i have been discussing the octane plug settings with you a while ago and we reached the conclusion that it affects the spark timing based on the octane you use (reflected by the socket setting)

a friend on the local car forum suggested that we can advance the timing a bit to make the engine a bit more responsive by adjusting the plug to a higher octane rating than the one you are actually using... so if you are using 87 you set the plug to 91 and if you are using 91 you set it to 95

MMamdouh

so how about this... in a turbo setup, most of te time you retard the ignition timing, corect? you could use this to accomplish that as well. run primium octane on a lower plug setting.

I wonder what affect this would have on anos chassis with the 2.0 engine and computer? ...would the Nubira or Leganza have the same plug?
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

I'm gonna have a look under the front carpet in my car tonite... im sure i have seen a plug tagged with a number under there before.

Will take pictures etc if i find anything.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

The octane selection switch is not provided for every engine management. To my knowledge it's limited to semi-sequential injection systems (two pairs of injectors) IEFI-6 and ITMS-6F.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

well... i found it. under the right-hand side seat (aka driver seat). had to remove the seat to get to it, but i think thats only because ive got the scooby wrx seats in and they sit lower to the floor. with standard seats you might be able to just take off the plastic panels and lift the carpet...

did take a picture, but my phone wont let me connect itself to my computer at the moment... so dnt know whats goin on there, but mine's already set to the 95 setting, with a 95 tag on it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

then the plug is officially under the right seat regardless of the position of the steering wheel

it is not an easy task to get to the plug with the seat on... i managed to do so on dad's car but failed to get it on a friend's car so it depends on how lucky you are

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

gse_turbo wrote:
MMamdouh wrote:hi guys

MMamdouh

so how about this... in a turbo setup, most of te time you retard the ignition timing, corect? you could use this to accomplish that as well. run primium octane on a lower plug setting.

I wonder what affect this would have on anos chassis with the 2.0 engine and computer? ...would the Nubira or Leganza have the same plug?
the guys here were digging the nubira to find the plug but they only managed to find the socket and their was nothing attached to it

i was arguing that on the nubira and leganza their is no octane plug (even though a "dummy socket" is present) as the ignition timing is adjusted through the knock sensor (the lanos doesn't have that sensor) so manipulating the timing through this plug is unattainable on those cars

i know for sure that the lanos has no knock sensor and it does have the octane plug... if someone can confirm that the nubira and leganza doesn't have the octane plug then we will reach the unfortunate conclusion mentioned above.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Daniel wrote:The octane selection switch is not provided for every engine management. To my knowledge it's limited to semi-sequential injection systems (two pairs of injectors) IEFI-6 and ITMS-6F.
well.. i found it in my car and my dad's car as well... we both have a MPFI A15SMS engine and dad's car got an O2 sensor while mine got a potentiometer for mixture control

MMamdouh
DDRaptor

Post by DDRaptor »

Hey I am going to check and take pictures when i find it aswell.

I have a KDM 99' Nubira it's more of a lanos in a nubira body, have the smae A15SMS engine with o2 sensor. Having some serious knocking lately maybe find this plug might help. Since i can't find a nubira manual with the A15SMS engine in it. I use all the lanos service manual but many things are not right.

will post results.