Blown Engine

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Tonic

Blown Engine

Post by Tonic »

Hey lads

my wifey has blown her 98 Lanos SE 1.5 Engine - seems she forgot that cars need oil to run.

The model is a 5 speed manual- I am in Australia so she is a right hand drive, no power windows etc- just power steering.

The engine starts and kicks over ok- the first sign of trouble was the overflow hose at the back of the engine blowing a gaping hole- we weren't too far from home so we drove it home carefully, and the engine started making crazy clunking noises- felt like a loss of power took place also, and the oil pressure is definitely down.

The hose and head is full of a layer of crap, looks like it is almost fried. I am replacing the hose immediately of course

However, the engine is making a clunk-clunk-clink (fast clunks) sound and the engine is no doubt about to shit itself.

i am going to replace the engine (unless you tell me it is an easy fix- although i doubt it) so my question is;

Can I drop in a 1999-200-2001 engine from a Lanos straight in ? Found a write-off on ebay that is a 12/99 model with a 1.8L engine- I believe ours to be a 1.5L

Is there any point replacing the hose before putting the new engine in ?

Also, can I glean any info from the following engine number or VIN numbers which she has scribbled down for me ?
KLATF08YEWB204091 96183315

thanks for your help guys, great forum and very useful.
Last edited by Tonic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonic

Re: Blown Engine

Post by Tonic »

I forgot to add-

the engine noise started before I notiuced the hose blew-

the oil was fairly low so I filled it up- for around 5 minutes the sound disappeared- however whilst idling the small hole in the hose tuned to a big one- and 5 mins after driving the noise came back and kept getting worse.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

odds are you fried your crank shaft bearings... deteriorated cam lobes is a possibility along many other problems... in short you cooked the engine and most probably fixing it will be a big waist of effort, time and money

all daewoo engines throughout the production years are the same so a 99, 00, 01, 02 engine will work perfectly on your 98 lanos

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

hmmm a 1.8L? never heard of that for a lanos. @.@
but im with MM on this one. just basically cooked the engine and so it would probably just be easier to replace it then repair it, unless YOU want to take it apart. XD
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
norman
Junior

Post by norman »

moin,

the intake could be different, because there are 2 kind of EGR´s which use an individual connection. the stock engine are all the same, but the parts around it, could be not the same. so maybe you have to convert some parts...
to rebuild your engine or to punish your wife with a golden creditcard will be the same...it cost you money and you have no rewards of it.

tschau norman