Nubira 97 low oil pressure

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jbleakley

Nubira 97 low oil pressure

Post by jbleakley »

Daewoo Nubira 2L CDX...low oil pressure light comes on after 15 minutes of driving. I had this problem some time ago after I left the car sitting for some months, I remember someone helped me with info re sticking oil pressure relief valve, changing oil etc. The car never displayed this problem when in constant use, just after sitting for some months. I am interested in any information re oil pump maintenance for this model or other suggestions that might help.
Trey05Woo
Super

Re: Nubira 97 low oil pressure

Post by Trey05Woo »

are you sure you have low oil pressure? maybe you just have a bad oil pressure switch. do you hear excessive ticking or knocking from the engine?

is the oil lvl correct?

do you have the correct oil grade (10w30)

you should check those perliminaries first before removing the pump which requires moderate engine assembly.
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
jbleakley

Post by jbleakley »

Hi There, there is excessive ticking/knocking coming from the top of the engine, oil level is fine...there is clearly a problem and it isnt the oil pressure switch...I did resolve it before by trying to check that the oil pressure release valve was free to move and running an engine flush...+ new oil and filter...
horatiomcblythe

Post by horatiomcblythe »

From my experience of the ecotec/dtec engine it is nearly always the oil strainer/pickup in the sump that is getting clogged up.Seems that the warmer the engine gets the worse the oil pressure becomes.Drop the sump and clean out the strainer and it should resolve it.Hope this helps.
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

sounds like you have engine sludge.

Your best bet is as the previous poster mentioned. Drop the pan remove the sump clean it throughly, have an assistant crank the engine (with fuel and ignition disabled) and use a carb or brake cleaner, spray into the pump feed with the engine turning over. This will run the cleaner through the pump and flush it, hopefully dislodging the check valve. There is no other way to reach the relief valve without removing the rear timing cover...
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i would not suguest turning the engine over wit h the sump removed, especially when sparying carb cleaner in the sump pickup. if the pickup is clogged, remove it and clean it. solvents being pumped through oil passages will remove any and all oil that is in there. that will leave bare metal to metal contact and could cause damage. i dont know if im just paranoid, but i personally would never do that.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I strongly agree with mofo!!
DO NOT RUN CLEANER THROUGH THE OIL GALLERIES

I've heard many horror stories about people doing this and ending up with a siezed engine that only has value as scrap metal.
:gib:
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Ive done it before were talking just turning over tne engine and spraying till the pump runs clean. shouldnt take much. there is no other way to clear the pump. only other and correct method is removing the pump and cleaning it throughly or replacing it.

Trust that when the sludge built up the damage was already done. and running with low pressure only adds to the damage. some carb cleaner wont damge much...
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning