Automatic & manual blocks for the C20GET are different?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Davinci_360

Automatic & manual blocks for the C20GET are different?

Post by Davinci_360 »

I've got a '90 Sunbird turbo with an automatic in it. Am I going to have a problem bolting the engine up to the 5 speed manual in my '89 Lemans?

These are the only posts I could find that mention anything about it:
jhill98 wrote:No, the 1.6 and the 2.0 both have Cast Iron blocks. Aluminum 8 valve heads and the same transmission bolt pattern.

I have 2 - 2.0L cast iron turbo blocks bare on the garage floor. One for an Automatic transmission and One for a manual transmission. There is an extra amount of casting under the starter mount on the manual blocks for a bolt into the transmission.

Just wondering what the physical difference is on the outside of the block, length, motor mount (sides of block) placement, etc.

jhill98
GsiTurbo wrote:Yes the bellhousing is the same for the 1.4/1.5/1.6/1.8/2.0/2.2/2.4 family, except for the auto block. It has an 'extra' unused corner (for auto gearbox), which needs to be cut off in order to fit 5 spd. Quite easy actually, but can take some time to complete nicely.

Tom
These seem to contradict eachother. Honestly, I'd be more likely to believe Tom here - he HAS done this particular swap before, but I'd like to be certain . . .

Can anyone clear this up?

Are there any good pictures of this "extra block casting"?

~ Tony