Hey Erfinder! C20LET / C20GET progress?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Hassan

Hey Erfinder! C20LET / C20GET progress?

Post by Hassan »

Hello,

Erfinder, I've been following your work in putting the C20GET engine into your Lanos. Great stuff, how are you pregressing? Where are you at now? Any new pics?

You've done a huge amount of work research-wise, and I am sure that you have answered some of these questions before, but I think it would help me (and anyone else considering emulating your project) immensely if you clarified a few major points.

I have a Lanos with a 1.5 SOHC E-Tec engine, and manual 5-speed transmission. I am hoping to get a C20LET out of an Opel Vectra turbo (some of them can be found around Egypt) or buy the Vauxhall labeled engine standalone, and drop it into my Lanos.

SO:

Question 1: Do I need to make any modifications to my engine mounts / engine bay, and will the C20LET bolt right in?

Question 2: Can I use the stock transmission on my Lanos?

Question 3: Should I get the C20LET with its ECU & Wiring?

Question 4: What could I consider a complete kit of parts to buy that would make the job finishable?

Question 5: How about instruments (tacho, boost, etc)?

I have gone through the archives and although some of these questions have been answered at least partially, if you could oblige I would appreciate it muchly...

Regards,
Stefan
Super

Re: Hey Erfinder! C20LET / C20GET progress?

Post by Stefan »

Hassan wrote: Question 1: Do I need to make any modifications to my engine mounts / engine bay, and will the C20LET bolt right in?

Question 2: Can I use the stock transmission on my Lanos?

Question 3: Should I get the C20LET with its ECU & Wiring?

Question 4: What could I consider a complete kit of parts to buy that would make the job finishable?

Question 5: How about instruments (tacho, boost, etc)?
1. Take all the engine and gearbox mounts from the Vectra.

2. No. The lanos 'box won't last long with the LET engine. Use the F28 (6 speed) 'box from the Vectra and convert it to 2wd.

3. Yes. You need the complete LET engine wiring harness and ECU. Don't forget to swap the fuel pumps too. Also, fit the front brakes from the Vectra to the Lanos otherwise you find it hard to stop. Use the Vectra front springs on the Lanos to support the additional weight of the new engine and gearbox.

4. What a lot of people do is buy the whole Vectra Turbo, park it next to or near the car that's getting the swap, and swap over all the bits that they need. They then part out the rest of the Vectra, which in some cases pays for the car.

5. A boost gauge is a very good idea and will help diagnose any problems with the LET. Get a good quality tacho too.

For further information on this swap go to www.migweb.co.uk Lots of people on this site have swapped LET's into Mk2 Astra's (same chassis as Lanos).

Stef
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Hey Erfinder! C20LET / C20GET progress?

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hassan wrote:Erfinder, I've been following your work in putting the C20GET engine into your Lanos. Great stuff, how are you pregressing? Where are you at now? Any new pics?
I wish I had more time.... I've been very very busy and have made zero progress on the C20GET (which is sitting at the back door of my shop waiting to go to the machine shop)

Now that I have a Chev Optra 5 ( Daewoo Lacetti ) I'm somewhat torn about which direction to go.... I'm tempted to scrap the C20GET and build up my U20SED ( 16V cousin to the C20GET.... same block... different setup)
Hassan wrote:I have a Lanos with a 1.5 SOHC E-Tec engine
That's the same engine I had in my 2001 Daewoo Lanos (which I sold to a friend the day I bought my Lacetti )

Stefan answered everything but I have some additions...

Question 1: You could also use the mount from an 2.0L Astra

Question 2: The D16 will take some power (GsiTurbo's F16 managed for several years with a modified C20GET) but the D20 or F20 would be better. I like the F28 but it costs more and I can't get it over here in North America. :(

Question 3: Stefan answered that one and then some

Question 4: A complete Vectra turbo might cost quite a bit from what I've seen during my research... but it is the best way to do it as Stefan said.
I guess it depends on how much cash you can afford to spend... you could probably pick up a front clip (the car from the firewall forwards) cheaper than the whole car.

Question 5: Yes... the more engine "feedback" you have the better your chances of avoiding problems.