2004 Chevy AVEO- OBDII Compliant?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

aveo owner

2004 Chevy AVEO- OBDII Compliant?

Post by aveo owner »

Hi all, I made an attempt to check the codes with an ACTRON 9615 scanner that I had borrowed from a friend and it wouldn't connect. I tried several times and I got the same reply. I know the sticker under the hood says it is compliant, but this particular scanner wouldn't work. I know the scanner works because I used it earlier on a Chevy van that I own. Is there a different protocol on these or something? My friend insists that the scanner "should have" worked. I am seriously thinking about buying one of these scanners, but I want one that will work on all my vehicles if possible. What's the deal? Thanks.
daewoomofo

Re: 2004 Chevy AVEO- OBDII Compliant?

Post by daewoomofo »

if its an obd2 system it should work, maybe you have a dead diagnostic port?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

that ^^^, or youre not doing it right.. no offense.. i trust you are doing it right.. just saying to make sure. >.< also yea, if its an OBD-2 it SHOULDDD work.. unless the scanner can convert to work on OBD-1... then it might be getting confused, although it shouldnt. but electronics these days.. @.@
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
aveo owner

Post by aveo owner »

Ya I don't know what to make of it either. I know I plugged it in right because I could see it going directly into the outlet.

The guy that owns the scanner said it again today, if it's OBDII then that's all there is to it.

Does anyone know what the pin outs are? For instance, there should be a power one and a ground, I would think. I have no idea what the others are. Come to think of it, it must have power because the screen comes up and says "connection failed".

He said something about it being in a flood maybe causing problems, but I don't see any evidence of it. Then again, I didn't do a car-fax on it either. I'll keep digging.

Thanks.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

id car-fax it to make sure

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Mario

Post by Mario »

Chevrolet Aveo 2004 "speaks" the KWP2000 protocol (and is OBDII Compliant). Not all Scantools can deal with this. Rest of the GM family is more likely to be using the VPW protocol, or the newer CAN.
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

+1? interesting find.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
aveo owner

Post by aveo owner »

Well it was getting kind of old, to keep borrowing this guy's scan tool, so I went out and bought a Actron 9175 that was on sale at a local NAPA. And guess what,it worked. All I can say is, his must be too old to read the codes. He said it was around a 1998 vintage, so he thought. It's not a top of the line scanner, but it will read and clear the codes and has a "freeze frame" capability. I actually haven't had the time to try it on my other car, but its a 1999, so I "should" be good. 8)