Chevrolet Lacetti Sport 1.8 16v Using Alot of Oil

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

VWBen

Chevrolet Lacetti Sport 1.8 16v Using Alot of Oil

Post by VWBen »

Hi, i've got a Chevrolet Lacetti 1.8 16v and when i checked the oil when i brought it, it was on the min, so i topped it up to max and i've driven about 700 miles and it's dropped down to half on the dipstick again, the car has 21k on the clock, is this normal or should i take it into the main dealer as it's still in warrenty period

Thanks
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

well, check ur exhaust when the car is running... if there is black smoke coming out, then the piston rings are bad and the rings make the oil go threw them and get in combustion chamber

OR

do u see a leak under your car? try putting a card board box underneath ur car and check it next morning if the cardboard is dry or got spots...

sucks mate :cry:
VWBen

Post by VWBen »

No black smoke and no oil leaks, aparently these vauxhall engines use alot of oil is that true?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

That's not normal. My small 1.6 DOHC (66,000 miles) uses 0,5L oil for about 4,500 miles. Take it to the dealer.

Daniel
VWBen

Post by VWBen »

I'm driving to germany on friday which is probly a 1000 miles round trip, so i'll top it up to max and see how low it gets when i drive 1000 miles
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

it wouldnt be black smoke, black smoke is from fuel, oil would be blue-ish. if there is no blue smoke you prolly have a oil leak. as long as you keep oil in the engine you can drive like this almost for ever, its not he best thing to do and i dont recomend it but you could. it might not be leaking when the car is parked, if there is no blakc oil spot on the ground in your parking spot it might only be leaking at running RPM's. get some engine bay cleaner or even brake cleaner. clean the engine bay (including under the engine)l,now (make sure there is oil in the engine) take it for a good drive. when you return look for wet oil on the engine bay, you might have to get under the car to find it. this will give you a good idea of where its leaking from

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

with 21K on the clock it should not be using oil.... take it to the dealer.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
RSZT4
Junior

Post by RSZT4 »

PrecisionBoost wrote:with 21K on the clock it should not be using oil.... take it to the dealer.
x2, why mess with something when it is covered
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is not normal to lose so much oil

oil will get out of the sump in one (or more) out of 3 forms:

1- burning: and that means oil found its way to the combustion chamber either through piston rings or valve guides... if your exhaust is light blue in color and the exhaust tip is a bit oily as well as your spark plugs then this will confirm that oil is being burned... a compression test will confirm if the problem is piston rings or valve guides

2- leaking: and this will show up as oil patches on the engine block and/or dripping on the ground... suspects are crank/cam shaft oil seals and those will leak on the front and/or back side of the engine, also check oil pan gasket and drain plug... some times problematic cylinder head gaskets can cause oil leak.

3- evaporation: some oil brands inherently evaporate with usage... in here Mobil 1 loses some 0.5 liter after 2k miles of usage or so and that scared a lot of people and made them think they got problematic engines... try a different brand of oil. also if your oil grade is not correct it could get too hot and start evaporating... this will show as a puff of bluish smoke when you turn on the engine after it was off for an hour or so (vapour will accumilate in the crank case and then sucked into the intake from the PCV and create a foggy patch of smoke)

to cut is short... you are still in warranty... go to the dealers, but it won't hurt to do those checks just to make sure of the problem and avoid being scammed by the dealer

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
VWBen

Post by VWBen »

Thanks a lot everyone :D , i've booked it into a main dealer, hopefully they will sort it out under warrenty
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Let us know if they tell you what was wrong with it.

Re: Chevrolet Lacetti Sport 1.8 16v Using Alot of Oil

Post by VWBen »

just got the car back from the garage and they said that it is normal oil usage for that engine.
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

if it still covered, get it book in for a full service
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

VWBen

Post by VWBen »

yeah i'm gunna do a full service on it myself, it needs one before i go to germany aswell (going round the nurburgring)
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

main a oil change, should help, it likely thier have put the wrong oil in
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,