Squeky belt

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanosucf

Squeky belt

Post by lanosucf »

Just had the timing belt and water pump changed. The car didnt squek before now Im getting squeking from i believe the alternator belt? Why would this happen and do i need a new belt and how hard would it be to replace this?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

belts might expand after installation

recheck the belt(s) tension and if it is ok then use a little of WD40 on the problematic belt

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
RSZT4
Junior

Post by RSZT4 »

MMamdouh wrote:belts might expand after installation

recheck the belt(s) tension and if it is ok then use a little of WD40 on the problematic belt

MMamdouh

:roll: cause wd-40 is the cure all.....just put some baby powder on it while the engine is running and the squeel will go away. If it is the belt.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Take it back to the shop and tell them it's squealing they should tighten and check it for free.

Jimmy
lanosucf

Post by lanosucf »

is it the alternator belt that is squeking or timing belt? I dont see why the alternator belt would squek now and not before. And it its the timing belt they didnt do a very good job then huh
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the alternator belt is the likely cause, or the a/c belt. but since you said its coming from the alterantor area id bet its the alt belt. the reason its squealing now and wasnt before is that when the timing belt was repalced the alternator belt had to be removed. and when it was reinstalled it wasnt tightened enough. did you have them install a new alt belt when they did the timing belt?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanosucf

Post by lanosucf »

no they didnt replace it. how can i tighten it myself?
kevindeeley12

Post by kevindeeley12 »

If it's the SERPENTINE belt ( The one to the left attached beside ur engine ), mine was squeeky too. All u need to do is grab a wrench, and take off 3-4 screws on the first pulley ( i think thats what its called ) ( the metal circle thing holding the belt in place ) once that is off, take off the bad belt, put on ur new one, then while its in place, put the other pulley back in, and put the belt on it and try to screw it back in ( its hard to do cause theres basically no room to work and getting the screws in the right holes are nearly impossible, my dad marked where the holes are and that made it a lot better ). We also had a hard time finding a belt to fit on to it, we bought a 1.5 and a 1.6 belt and both didnt fit, the first one was to big, and the other was too small. if u dont already have the belt i have the box and i can tell u which one to buy.

wow i always get SINISTER and SERPENTINE mixed up lol, even those theres no such thing as a sinister belt, my bad.