Daewoo Newb, needs help with finding a motor

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CTrink

Daewoo Newb, needs help with finding a motor

Post by CTrink »

Hey guys, great site you got here... So my wife drives a 00 lanos sx 1.6L, and the timing belt went and seeing how it's an interference motor, you know the rest. Well I'm not to familiar with daewoos, but i did some research and couldn't really find any motors locally that i could replace the old one with. Which lead me to stumble upon the fact that the aveo has the same motor, although i know it's way updated and some are the e-tech, but my question is this: How rough is it going to be to swap in a 05 aveo motor that i'm pretty sure is not an e-tech... I'm sure some of the electronics are different and i have no clue about the tranny... so could some one enlighten me on if i should even attempt this. I know for a fact it's possible, but i'm not trying to get all crazy on this daewoo (no offense). If I was i'd try something like a AE86 swap or something lol... but any help will be greatly appreciated!
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

as far as i know the mounts are diffrenent

why not just replace the timeing belt
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Big Jeff wrote:as far as i know the mounts are diffrenent

why not just replace the timeing belt
there are also bent valves, and a good chance that the head is warped.

im pretty sure the aveo has a different type of fuel system, not sure of how hard it could be to get the lanos fuel sustem to work with it. some of the electrical somponants are different as well. are you handy with tools? if so i say ti might be cheaper (and prolly easier) to rebuild the head.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
CTrink

Post by CTrink »

Well, that's what i didn't want to hear... cuz that aveo engine is damn cheap! $500 with 9,000 miles... would the head from the aveo motor work? I'd more than likely have to get all new valves possibly some more parts for the head, does any one know a price range for rebuilding the head? or know where i can get a new head?
CTrink

Post by CTrink »

any other opinions??
caprice

Post by caprice »

where are you from? Around here you can get a used head that you pull yourself for $60. Although if you can't find one with out bent valves you can swap out good ones, or replace the bent valves at your import auto parts store, or chevy dealer has them, you have to say it is for an Aveo though. Checker rents a valve installer for free, it isn't that hard.

We need a Daewoo interchange wiki, because alot of "hard to find" Daewoo parts are actually used in alot of vehicles, you just need to ask for them under a different vehicle. The Aveo is E-tec II, Lanos is E-tec difference, I don't know. I think a different computer system, plastic intake, but is the long block compatible? I don't know.
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

just finished rebuilding the head of my lanos. if you want to read the posts it is the HELP PLEASE posts. it cost me about $260 or so for the valves, gasket set, timing belt, water pump, pulleys. took me about a month, but thats because i work and go to school full time, so i did it when i had time.