Blown head gasket, cheap fix

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Edman

Blown head gasket, cheap fix

Post by Edman »

I had a blown head gasket. I bought a new head gasket, pump and pulleys etc.

I had someone check the head (it's not warped), good for me! But I have some pitting on the cylinder head around the area, where the gasket blew (near cylinder 3, there's only one large pit that concerns me.)! I was using straight water/ no coolant (had a radiator leak).

I have 3 options in my head to fix my issue:

1-Properly fix the problem, by welding up the pits and resurface the head= $320.

2-Use lots of head gasket sealant, shop assistant said I might get away with it for a while.

3-My favorite option, use JB weld it fill the pits! Then use lots of head gasket sealant!

JB weld should be fine, or does anyone recommend something else?

Thanks Edman
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

for me when i get the cheapest option, i later regret it...

so it comes down to how much money u got ;)
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Im guessing JB weld is a chemical weld solution?

with that stuff, you will have to use water only for the life of the head... No ethyl-glycol!!
So if you live in a hot or cold environment, you will probably find it wont be long before you get the head gasket going again.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

JB weld is a bad idea for fixing the head, get it done properly once and for all.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Blown head gasket, cheap fix

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Edman wrote:
1-Properly fix the problem, by welding up the pits and resurface the head= $320.

Thanks Edman
You also have the option of buying a replacement cylinder head..... it might be possible to get one that has been remanufactured for less than what your going to pay for welding and resurfacing.

Quite often the heads are damaged from a broken timing belt.... so the reman heads usually have new valves, new valve guides, new valve seals, a fresh valve job.... and usually they've been gone over fairly well.

Or you could allways pick up a decent used head
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos