Water Pump

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BSeward

Water Pump

Post by BSeward »

I did a timing belt / water pump (and the other idler rollers) replacement about a year ago.
12,000 miles have passed with no problems. A few days ago, the engine started squealing, and making Godawful grinding/rattling noises. Got it back to the shop, we pulled the alternator and A/C belts, hoping the noise was one of them.
No dice... After removing the timing belt cover, the noise was really loud, and a careful listen led us to believe the water pump had failed. I'd bought an aftermarket one from EBay, and evidently it wasn't the best quality. We have a Daewoo dealer here in Buffalo NY, and the parts guy (who I went to high school with 40 yrs ago...) sold me the pump and seal for $62.00 US.

The mechanic who installed the first pump remembered that the pump was not the same as original, and was concerned if it was any good. The one I bought today came in a "Genuine GM" box, labeled "GM/DAEWOO".

I'm kinda figuring that you get what you pay for, and learned a lesson.

Any readers around Western NY, or nearby - call Ray Laks Mitsubishi 716-826-4200... They do keep a good stock of parts, and the pump is a stocked item. They may even ship (but I'm not sure of that).